Why the AHC hate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put 283K miles on previous 470 with normal maintenance without any issues. It was not like new for sure but worked for day to day.

Have 105K miles on 15 LX570 and ahc is butter smooth.

I did NOT start this thread, fellas. I merely commented on it, same as the rest of you. And I already agreed that conventional suspension is simpler. You said nobody is hating, yet you’re being snarky with the “facts” bit, and incorrectly suggesting I started this for some confirmation about how great my suspension is. Wtf happened in this thread? My goodness.
Just take a chill pill and enjoy reading both sides of the story. It's an open forum.

whats the service life for the struts on the AHC system? I have 183k on my 05 and am pretty sure the struts have never been replaced. There are some cracks I hit in the road where I think new struts might help. I did flush the system 3k miles ago.

whats the service life for the struts on the AHC system? I have 183k on my 05 and am pretty sure the struts have never been replaced. There are some cracks I hit in the road where I think new struts might help. I did flush the system 3k miles ago.
The struts aren’t struts in the conventional sense of the word. They are hydraulic rams and essentially are only broken if they are leaking or completely rusted out.

I do not get it. I agreed there was merit to either option, removal or retention.
Agreed but started getting personal with “get a life” and leaving ten thumbs down. Lol bro, check your anger issues at the door. No room for that here.

Agreed but started getting personal with “get a life” and leaving ten thumbs down. Lol bro, check your anger issues at the door. No room for that here.
I merely provided some info and you sarcastically replied, “glad you people believe that and trust this system so much”. That was a pretty snarky comment from you which preceded my comment. Don’t try to put it on me.

You’re projecting. My apologies to everyone for engaging this guy and contributing to the devolution of this thread. I’m out.

Last edited:
Had problems on a recent trip getting my AHC to work correctly when I needed it through some rock gardens. I do have a full rack, drawer and water tank in the rig so I am pretty heavy.

I have new suspension ready to go in. This last trip certainly exposed the reliability of AHC for me.

Load the truck up with adult passengers and full of cargo, even without any “armor” weight and tell me how long before it goes into L mode on you. If you plan on bumpers, rack, RTT, sliders, winch... good luck.

If you weigh the system down with armor and gear, I think you just need to compensate with spring rate increases (new rear springs and cranked or stronger torsion bars), don't you? Did you have problems with a weighted down rig with accompanying spring changes?

It seems the spring rates just need to be maintained so that neutral pressures are kept in check, but perhaps I'm missing something. 🤷‍♂️

My 2002 has 250K miles and the AHC still works fine. It's my DD so I spend 95% of my time in it on paved roads. I go off road just enough to appreciate the added height and more comfortable suspension. I like the AHC and I'll use it until it poops out. I don't like it enough to drop serious money on it. If and when it goes out, I'll probably do the Old Man Emu retrofit.

Last edited:
I love my AHC. I've taken care of it, upgraded components where necessary etc., and it's rewarded me with trouble-free performance despite being all armored up and carrying enough gear for a family of five. The reality is, it's just another hydraulic system, and a pretty decent one at that. IMO, the 100 series brake system is the one everyone should be complaining about and replacing with a vacuum boosted or manual setup, but since there's no easy work-around, we just accept it.

All that being said, the AHC system is not invincible and there's a point of diminishing returns. Aside from age, rust and neglect taking them out, there's also legitimate limitations due to a lack of aftermarket upgrades that would allow the AHC damping system to work within its sweet spot.

If a vendor were to offer:

1) upgraded t-bars with a diameter between AHC and OEM non-AHC
2) a range of rear spring rates for different weights (besides just the Kings)
3) heavy duty aluminum-bodied shock actuators with adjustable damping (yes, there is some damping happening in the OEM shock actuators, despite what's often repeated about them)
4) pump motor rebuild kits
5) NiCopp hydraulic line kits

...it would make AHC unstoppable, IMO. But, since there's an easier work-around (swapping in conventional), there's no real reason for anyone to put the time and energy into developing that kind of support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom