Why the 2F oil filter orientation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Butt Ugly Chuck

Fish Biologist
Threads
Why's the 2F oil filter oriented the way it is? Changing it means pulling it straight up such that it spills its contents:mad:. I cram a whole bunch of paper towels under it in a seemingly futile attempt to keep the mess down. Anybody got a better way figured?

The filter on my old Ford Ranger (yeah I drove one :eek:) had the opposite orientation. It was nice to be able to pull the filter off without making a mess, and it allowed you to pre-fill the new one so it had immediate oil pressure on startup. Maybe the Toyota engineers have a good reason?

Butt

i always kinda wondered too... i hate it

during my rebuild i was gonna try to figure out a remote filter set up and mount it the proper direction

A trick I learned on this forum is to poke a hole in the top of the filter with an ice pick or screw driver. This allows the oil to drain back into the engine. Let it sit for 15 minutes or so, and the mess is greatly reduced. Just don't forget and start the engine!

I have also used a pan that I balance on top of the axle, or whatever is directly underneath the filter. However, trying to get the pan out, I usually spill the oil out.

It protects it from getting punctured from a stick when driving over brush. It's brilliant and well thought out in my opinion. I know of a chevy that pumped out all of it's oil from just that reason.

i would think that if a stick got up there, and was hefty enough to puncture an oil filter, it would take some other stuff out too...

but i hadnt thought of that before

I wouldn't of thought it could happen either, but I seen it happen on a vehicle with the the filter pointing the other way. I don't know if Toyota thought of it for that reason but I like to think they did. Plus it makes a good story when people ask why it is the way it is.

well that influences my plans for a flipped over filter... maybe ill go stare at it for a while and see if something smart happens in my head

A trick I learned on this forum is to poke a hole in the top of the filter with an ice pick or screw driver. This allows the oil to drain back into the engine. Let it sit for 15 minutes or so, and the mess is greatly reduced. Just don't forget and start the engine!
Thanks. I'm gonna give that a try next interval.
:cheers:
Butt

What he said. :beer:

Is there no remote oil filter set up for it? There are plenty of spots out of the way where it could go.

x2 putting a hole in the filter. I just use a big flathead screwdriver that I carry and punch a hole in the top of the filter. I never have an issue with any sort of mess.

Is there no remote oil filter set up for it? There are plenty of spots out of the way where it could go.

im sure there is, i just havent looked very hard yet... i really should be asleep by now anyways

i actually used the "poke a hole in the top" trick last time i changed the filter... it works but i still wanna be able to fill the filter before i install it

its really not that big a deal, but while im in there workin on stuff this summer i figured, hey why not?

Here's what I did Oil filter relacation for FJ60 | OlympiaFJ60. I made a cardboard template too that would make it easy to mount in existing holes and have a rock guard. Just need to get around to bending it out of some sheet metal. I went way overkill on the fittings, high pressure hydraulic type. I need to find some cheaper fittings and it would be an affordable kit.

One thing that I was thinking is that as an ex-aircraft mechanic I've noticed that most piston powered aircraft engines have the filter mounted with the bottom of the filter pointed down. Aircraft oil filters and STOCK TOYOTA oil filters have a bypass valve that is supposed to bypass the filter if the filter becomes clogged. Maybe the bypass valve works best when mounted that way. I'm to tired to figure it out tonight but I'm sure a cruiser wizard like Mace or Cdan will expain it. Might be something to figure out before you spend too much time on a remote filter system. The poking it with an ice pick is standard practice with aircraft mechanics because it makes a hell of a mess with a bottom cowling. :meh:

It protects it from getting punctured from a stick when driving over brush. It's brilliant and well thought out in my opinion. I know of a chevy that pumped out all of it's oil from just that reason.

I saw a Ford F-250 run over a survey stake on a job and get the oil filter impaled. He didn't stop until we started screaming. Not sure how much oil was left in pan and not on road.

I poke a hole in the top as well and let it drain out for a while.

Wow, the wife's 4runner has the filter right up front upside down. It sits in a cup with a little nipple out the bottom. I just jam a water bottle under it to catch the little bit of drippings. What a dreamboat.

I just buy my oil the night before. Go out to the garage after it set over night & do the oil change & nary a drop is spilled

I just buy my oil the night before. Go out to the garage after it set over night & do the oil change & nary a drop is spilled

There seems to be more oil that comes out if you do it when the engine is hot. According to the owner's manual, you are supposed to change the oil while the engine is still hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom