Why so many holes in a factory bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just picked up a new factory bumper from my local Toyota dealer. When I unpacked it I was surprised to see all the holes on the top side of the bumper. 22 holes! I know 6 of them are for mounting and maybe 2 more for a license plate, that leaves 14. Did I get the “Swiss cheese” option?

I’m tempted to mount it upside down and not use the carriage bolts on top.

Anyone else get a new bumper lately?
E362F915-385C-4843-8246-B4802EFED2A3.jpeg
5D3EA29F-EFF4-4965-A110-E1608F72C2D7.jpeg
F5A426F4-5DA6-4B7F-991A-A3653C4DB057.jpeg

So I just picked up a new factory bumper from my local Toyota dealer. When I unpacked it I was surprised to see all the holes on the top side of the bumper. 22 holes! I know 6 of them are for mounting and maybe 2 more for a license plate, that leaves 14. Did I get the “Swiss cheese” option?

I’m tempted to mount it upside down and not use the carriage bolts on top.

Anyone else get a new bumper lately?View attachment 2398210View attachment 2398211View attachment 2398212
IIRC there are 23 holes. Toyota covered all the possibilities for options. On our 72 build we filled them all but the license plate bracket and the mounting holes.

Not sure when Toyota added all the extra holes. Beside the six carriage hole to mount the bumper on top. Four to mount it on the bottom there are two sets of two for front license plate bracket. One inside the frames which was standard. To outside the right frame rail for when a PTO winch was installed. Two used for the winch. Then two more for the brackets used to hand crank to start the engine. Why Toyota added all the extra holes later on I don't know. Could be something as simple as specialty vehicles uses in other market used them.

Factory fog lights too

I forgot about those and I have a few set of OEM fog lights. There was then a special license plate bracket when both fog lights and a winch was installed. That mount the license plate to the front of the bumper. It was on the right end of the bumper. That I think started around.1973. since the fog lights were never install from the factory in the US and while the 40 series was still being made not really known about in the US doubt if any of the third style bracket was ever sold in the US.

Quick update. I decided to install it “upside down”. I used locally sourced stainless hardware.
If anyone wants a heavy duty bumper for a winch, you can have it if you come get it.

View attachment 2403503

View attachment 2403504

I have a 75 bumper I got from in 75 from a friend when he installed a Warn winch and bumper. He bought it in January so has to be 1/75 production date. Also have a 10/75 76 model. That one has the multiple extra holes. Know the history of this one but not enough to say someone didn't change it at some point.

Do like the idea of flipping the bumper. Think all those extra holes are ugly.

I mounted my bumper upside down originally. I flipped it right side up when I added my front license plate. I like the extra holes. It feels utilitarian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom