why so few HJ's in USA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in Oslo.. the biggest village in Norway
hi... greetings from norway..

it seem's there is 90% FJ's among your 60 seiries... some BJ's ,(wich i think nobody has over here) and a very few HJ's
Over here 99,9 % of 60's are HJ's !

can anyone give me some insight on this... are all diesel 60's in USA secondhand/private imported?
did they not offer the big diesels at the dealerships?

is diesel "akward" and unpractical in US? do all gas-stations sell diesel?

oh.. yeah... and:cheers:

All the US got were FJs, canada got diesels but not that many have made their way south.

There never were any diesel land cruisers imported into the United States. Mine was imported by the guy I bought it from. The same would be true of any BJ/HJ in the US.

There never were any diesel land cruisers imported into the United States. Mine was imported by the guy I bought it from. The same would be true of any BJ/HJ in the US.

must be just the opposite from over here....i'm a member of the norwegian LC club (NLCK) and i only know of ONE fj in norway...i'm sure there are a handful more but still....
so does one get admiration from other cruiser-nerds when one shows up with a HJ? :)

like said before all the HJs and BJs have been imported. I think it is kind of a novelty when someone has a Toyota Diesel in their 60/62. There are more and more people trying to get their hands on a 3B or 2H diesel from canada or other sources to convert their FJ into a HJ or BJ, myself included.

Our gas prices here in America have jump considerably in the past few weeks and its not going to get any better. I think a good diesel is going to cost an arm and a leg in the near future do to the demand in america on these foreign motors.

welcome to mud Marting

lunyou

The problem with diesel in the US/Canada is that for years we have been spoiled with cheap gas.
When the gas prices went up in the mid-late '70's GM tried to put a diesel head on their 350 V8, it was a dismal failure and further alienated folks here against diesel.
Now it's a battle with the emissions folks because a diesel might have visible emissions while a gasser has more emissions and the gasser emissions are more toxic.
My BJ60 is a Canadian truck and I was roundly criticized (poor opinion of diesels due to the GM 350 wanna-be diesel fiasco) for buying a diesel back in '89 when I bought it. I'll be driving it till Toyota once again brings diesels to North America in the Land Cruisers.

i see--- well... we have plenty of 2H's over here... since rust kills all cruisers with our weather.... so here a 2H isn't worth much more than a rear hatch or a couple of doors..... but i guess that would be the same in canada..

the 120 (known as the new prado in us?) and the 100 seiries are still not sold with diesel? here the 120 is 100% sold with diesel... the 100 ,99,99
it's just to expensive to have gas-engines in these big heavy cars... gas costs aprx. twice as much here than there, and with diesel atleast you get 30-40 mpg

the 120 (known as the new prado in us?) and the 100 seiries are still not sold with diesel? here the 120 is 100% sold with diesel... the 100 ,99,99
it's just to expensive to have gas-engines in these big heavy cars... gas costs aprx. twice as much here than there, and with diesel atleast you get 30-40 mpg

Currently there is NO diesel Toyota offered for sale in Canada or the USA. The only diesel powered "light" vehicles are the VW Jetta/Golf and the "Smart" car. After that you have the Ford/Dodge/GM 3/4 ton and up pickups.
I'm pretty sure that's it till you get to the commercial trucks!

that's funny.....over her absolutely every car,small or big on the market has a diesel options..(except ferraris and stuff like that) more than 50 % of new cars sold are diesels.. sales have soared the last 10 years....... i'm 100% sure it will happen over there too...... modern diesels are punchy as hell... hehe-- wish i had one in my HJ60...(the 2H is not very punchy... no sprinter)

I can answer that question:

Because the general public is STUPID, because Toyota is STUPID, but most of all because the darn EPA is STUPID!

They just don't get it.

Dan

No, it's not funny! It's as frustrating as you can imagine. The last diesel LandCruiser was sold here in '87. The last diesel Toyota pickup in '86. I think cars stopped then too.
Even Mercedes Benz doesn't offer diesels here!
The diesel VW in the Golf/Jetta are actually quite gutsy. My mom has a Golf and my dad has the Jetta!

Sorry to get of track , what is the difference between a hj and a bj landcruiser?

Sorry to get of track , what is the difference between a hj and a bj landcruiser?

An HJ has a 6 cylinder diesel and a BJ has a 4 cylinder diesel.

HJ is a 6 cylinder and BJ is a 4 cylinder.

Look at that, I simultaneous posting w/ the same answer!

Diesel will one day present itself to the "Clunkinator"!

Thanks. I'm on the MUD a couple of times a day and had yet to find the answer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom