Why so few 16 or 17 x 10" wide wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Seems like back in the late 80's & 90's the most common wheels were 15 x 10 wide. Now that I am looking for a new set of wheels to accommodate a set of 35" tires, trying to find a 10" wide wheel is uncommon. Back in the day a set of 35 x 12.5 tires was perfect for a 10" wide wheel. Now 9" seems to be the most common. For the new set, I am thinking of going to a 16-17 inch aluminum wheel to better fit a set of calipers but I would like to find 10" wide. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

I suspect everyone figured out that wider isn't better. I can't imagine 33x12.5s on an FJ40, and years ago, that was the cool tire to have. Tall and skinny is where it's at....

I suspect everyone figured out that wider isn't better. I can't imagine 33x12.5s on an FJ40, and years ago, that was the cool tire to have. Tall and skinny is where it's at....

Yes. Especially if you want to drive it on the street and stay in your lane.

I just got rid of a set of aluminum 15 x 10's. I can't stand a 10" wide wheel. IMO they're just too wide. They stick out too far in the rear of the 40 unless you run flares. I preferred 15 x 8" when I ran 36 x 12.5 x 15 TSL-SX's. I did have to run 1/4" spacers in the frt.

I guess I like em a little thicc. Not thicccc, but thicc 😁.

Is that 'thick' like the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders who get rejected for being over weight? ('Thick' is the term they use...) ;)

Is that 'thick' like the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders who get rejected for being over weight? ('Thick' is the term they use...) ;)
Let's just say nobody wants to grab ahold of a twig. It's got to be able to sustain a pounding. I'm talking about tires,.......maybe 😇

Wide definitely was in style for a bit. People would say it was a larger contact patch or more float (for dunes or mud?). Definitely didn't help with driving or in snow. I took wide wheels off my 73 blazer when I had that, and my father's 85 4 runner was much better with a narrower set up. Just a small increase in width going to a bigger tire hurt snow performance in my 96 Tacoma. With my 40 not having power steering, the skinnier the better!

We may have the set off the 4 runner kicking around my father's garage. He was a hoarder.

33x12.5x15 or 35x12.5x15 run best on 15x8. I run my
37x14.5x15 on 15x10. Or my 38.5x14.5x15 on 15x10. Works great when airing down holds the bead a bit better cheers
I always liked the deep dish of a 15 x 10

This was my first 1967 FJ40 back in about 1990 with 35 x 15.5 x 15 OG Swampers. Cant remember if those were 15 x 10 or 15 x 12 rims but I liked the dish for sure.

1657729064536.png

1657729093377.png

1657729123970.png

1657729146524.png

Seems like back in the late 80's & 90's the most common wheels were 15 x 10 wide. Now that I am looking for a new set of wheels to accommodate a set of 35" tires, trying to find a 10" wide wheel is uncommon. Back in the day a set of 35 x 12.5 tires was perfect for a 10" wide wheel. Now 9" seems to be the most common. For the new set, I am thinking of going to a 16-17 inch aluminum wheel to better fit a set of calipers but I would like to find 10" wide. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

Why? Cause 10" wide wheels don't look right on any Land Cruiser.
The people have spoken and less companies make them.
The world is better for it.

Why? Cause 10" wide wheels don't look right on any Land Cruiser.
The people have spoken and less companies make them.
The world is better for it.
My pics above say otherwise :cool:. That rig was bad ass and took me to hell and back. Winch helped out a bit along the trip.

I always liked the deep dish of a 15 x 10

This was my first 1967 FJ40 back in about 1990 with 35 x 15.5 x 15 OG Swampers. Cant remember if those were 15 x 10 or 15 x 12 rims but I liked the dish for sure.

View attachment 3058003

View attachment 3058004

View attachment 3058006

View attachment 3058007
I have a set of Weld Super Single 15x12 wheels on 6x5.5 waiting for a set of 33 or 35x15.5 super swamper SX's to cross my path. I can appreciate and love all shapes and sizes of tires on an FJ40 :)

I want a truck on tall skinnies, and I also want a truck on short fatties. Hell, I'll even take a truck on tall fatties!

If you're dead set on 10 wide, you are likely stuck with steel options only. If you need aluminum, I would just settle for 9 wide as there are lots of options.

I have a set of Weld Super Single 15x12 wheels on 6x5.5 waiting for a set of 33 or 35x15.5 super swamper SX's to cross my path. I can appreciate and love all shapes and sizes of tires on an FJ40 :)

I want a truck on tall skinnies, and I also want a truck on short fatties. Hell, I'll even take a truck on tall fatties!

If you're dead set on 10 wide, you are likely stuck with steel options only. If you need aluminum, I would just settle for 9 wide as there are lots of options.
Weld wheels are awesome. We used to drool over them at a place here in Milwaukee called Super Shops (local Speed Shop) gone for a long time now but lots of good memories of walking in with cash and walking out with no cash :rofl:.

Wow, the subjective opinions that get thrown around on Mud reminds me of the slinging on s***box Nation before it got shut down.

I have to admit, I put 33x12.5s on my 40 and should have gotten 10.5s.

BUT, in keeping with the theme, I'll chime in. Ya'll's stock 40s look like 2wd mail Jeeps. 😘

I could dig on some 17" super singles.

I could dig on some 17" super singles.
If they made them, they would sell like hot cakes. Some forged 17" super singles that had steel lug inserts and a simulated beadlock/replaceable trim ring would be the cats ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom