Why not electric puller fans? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wussyPup said:
If turned off prior to swimming, can these aux. pushers survive frequent imersions?

I'm considering options for remote tranny and PS cooling.

Thanks, -Steve

Seeing that thes fans are made to be driven in rain and snow covered roads (ie salt spray), I'd imagine they're sealed pretty well. Meaning they're designed for automotive use and should be made to last years (?) so a dipping every now and then (i would imagine) should be fine. There are many here who have installed aux. pusher fans on thier 80's (including myself) and have had pretty good luck with them, however I'm not exactly sure what your definition of 'frequent' is.

Rich said:
I think that this is the circumstance where a belt driven fan has the advantage over an electric fan. Much more power is available to a belt driven fan to move air than is available to an electric fan. Of course the belt fan has to be set up to do the required work, meaning the viscous coupler has to be up to snuff.

Where I see an electric fan having an advantage is when engine is operating at low rpm and vehicle at low speeds. When towing heavy loads up hill the engine should be in proper gear to be operating at or above peak torque, so the rpms are going to be high, and a belt fan able to move more air than an electric.

Does anyone know what the max CFM of the stock fan is or have a CFM per RPM chart for the 80's?

I've heard this claim before and I've never seen any data to support it. Not that I'm doubting the claim, but with more and more newer vehicles making the switch to dual electric fans, I'm wondering if technically, that claim still holds true. I would imagine that from a reliability and cost standpoint, the automakers would want to stick with the tried and true but maybe there are enough advances now that support the migration over to electric puller fans. Dunno.

WET

wileetoyote said:
Seeing that thes fans are made to be driven in rain and snow covered roads (ie salt spray), I'd imagine they're sealed pretty well. Meaning they're designed for automotive use and should be made to last years (?) so a dipping every now and then (i would imagine) should be fine. There are many here who have installed aux. pusher fans on thier 80's (including myself) and have had pretty good luck with them, however I'm not exactly sure what your definition of 'frequent' is.

Thanks! I'll look for a good warranty.

Some of our local wheeling areas get over 9 feet of rain per year. I know the fans are sealed against spray, but they have to survive being submerged to work here. Frequent? I dream of wheeling a couple days/month, with a few potentially deep crossings each day. Actual results have been much less. I'll ask around on the local club sites and see how other's have fared.

I like the idea of an aux fan; either a pusher for the front, or a smaller unit on a remote tranny cooler; I just know that it will get submerged and want it to last.

Thanks, -Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom