1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why not electric puller fans?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Bearcat80, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Bearcat80

Bearcat80

As a boat towing, marginally overheating, shaman needle avoiding 93 owner, I read all of these posts about cooling with some degree of interest. My little bro the dodge mechanic and ultimate motor head says "Quit screwing around, lets do the head gasket and get it over with. Then we'll rip out that gay fluid fan and drop in a flex-a-lite dual electric fan and maybe that slug will gain 5-10 hp and quit getting hot on the way over the hill and get 2 mpg better as well" Opine away boys, what do you think of this set up http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/27inch-electric.html ? It fits according to my tape, with maybe a little hose mod, and it sucks up to 4600 cfm:smokin:

2. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

Slap it on and report the results, a couple of others are running them.

3. -Spike-

-Spike-

I think e-fans are great for wheeling- better idle-speed, option to turn it off when wading, like that. I doubt it would help in situations where the truck is moving at speed- not only is air being forced in, but the stock fan is turning faster than idle. Add the question of reliability and I'd rather mod my clutch fan and have an aux e-fan. Just my opinion, though.

-Spike

4. parabola

parabola

I'd definately like more input on this. I've been pondering a similiar approach.

Reliability of my old e-fans on my Supra was less than desired, but I think the quality of the product I used was most of the issue there.

5. SWCruiser

SWCruiser

Media:
    Lets have some results

I have been pondering this as well and would love to see some data. I spoke with a cousin of mine who tests/ evaluates performance aftermarket parts for japanese imports and he contends electrics outperform engine driven fans and are now OEM for many cars. His main target was maximizing HP and cooling highly tuned engines so it may not be directly relevant. IIRC Tools has posted many times that there are some reliability issues with the electrics.

6. SUMOTOY

SUMOTOY

I'm a couple weeks away from that mod in my ABC's of 80's Cooling (part V). Yes, there are definite advantages to running electric fans. The biggest issue regarding them is that you get fans with enough power to draw air thru the radiator. IME, the thicker the core, the higher wattage fan you will need to use.

Right now the best electric fan setup I've seen appears to be the dual Derale 265W fans (50 amp max draw). They compromise airflow a little because they aren't straight blade, but they certainly should have the power to draw in a lot of air. Summit Racing carries them for 200USD. They are shrouded fans, and they will need to be cut down on the sides by about 1/2 inch, but otherwise appear quite beefy in comparison to the others.

Flex-a-lite sells a single and a dual controller (VSC) that has a bunch of inputs, from A/C to over ride on and off, and LED status lights. Add 80USD for the single kit, and dual controller is 100. Again, a Summit item.

The other ones that appear to be favorites by the junkyard dogs, is the taurus v6 fans. I have no experience with them, but a lot of guys use them as mech fan replacements. I also have a lot of audi application fans in my shop, that I'm tempted to use if the Derales don't cut the mustard. Audi has a 7 blade single fan that draws unreal amounts of air, but also sucks the juice, under full load, it draws 70amps. 2 of those would kill a dual battery 80.

What I do have doubts over, is that a single electric will do the job. A Tundra guy tried it and found it wasn't enough in extreme heat (towing uphill) but that his dual fan install did the trick.

I'm on target to do this conversion in the next couple weeks and will report in my ABC's Cooling threads under Part V. I encourage anyone to take on the project before me, so I don't have to always be the guinea pig.

Cheers and my .02

Scott Justusson
    94 FZJ80 Supercharged
    Chicago

7. -Spike-

-Spike-

Most of the specs I've seen indicate that 'S' blade type fans draw more air with less power. Are you saying the opposite is true, or are we comparing something else?

-Spike

8. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips

a fan clutch that doesnt lock up properly will still move more air than an electric fan that is shorted out or doesnt come on when it should.

add an auxialiary electric fan? yes..... but Im not ready to replace the existing belt driven fan

9. SUMOTOY

SUMOTOY

That's not accepted fan blade theory. S blade fans are about 20% less efficient than a straight blade fan designs. S blade fans draw less air with less power, as a rule.

Straight blade fans will draw more power because they are more efficent at moving air. A lot of marketing goes making the other conclusion. Max the power level, you can make some creative claims. S blade fans were developed to keep the noise level of the fan low. It gives up efficiency in doing that.

HTH

Scott Justusson

10. SUMOTOY

SUMOTOY

Electric fan technology has been around quite some time. In cars and trucks exponentially more expensive than the 80. A mechanical fan that locks up and causes the fan to auger a radiator and extracts coolant isn't much good either, btdt.

My experience in electric fans in severe duty environments is pretty extensive. You will see less and less VC driven fans because they suck up a lot of power (gas mileage) and aren't very accurate to engine temps.

After 6 augers of my radiator in my supercharged truck, I'm quite ready to replace the belt driven fan. I'm quite surprised more folks haven't done it on this list, especially the crawlers. Some of these dual fans run some pretty phenomenal flow numbers.

I'm convinced that proper heat management of the 80 would include serious consideration and testing of the new electric fan technology available. Other than my Supercharger, it will be a major investment in my truck. However, it should give a good ROI, since I will no longer fear the 18in electric drill taking out a factory radiator again.

Scott Justusson

11. wileetoyote

wileetoyote

I've mentioned this before in other threads but here it is again...I run a flex-a-lite in my 4Rnr. It cools great but when I did a water crossing and it was deeper than first thought, as soon as the water hit the fan, I lost 3 blades. I had to break off a 4th to balance the fan for the 75 mile drive home...As a lessons learned, I added a kill switch to my aux. pusher fan in my 80.

Personally, I think these straight blade fans with that CFM capacity would really help out the cruiser when towing heavy loads up steep grades at slow speeds (cause the slug can't go any faster). I do believe If I were to add the TRD SC, I would go this route here in Phoenix (so long as it fits).

My $0.02.

WET

12. SUMOTOY

SUMOTOY

WET:
    Are you using a single fan or a dual fan in the 4R? The nice thing about the flex-a-lite VSC controller is it has override off function. I'll also say when I hit redline in my supercharged 80, I not only lost and had to clip fan blades, I had to get the radiator repaired... 6 times in a week.

I learned a different lesson, but also know we have a kill switch on the prorally cars we run for water crossings.

SJ

13. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

During all this damage you were running the stock fan, correct?

14. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

O I will pine in on a mod that is comon for the lightning (ford f150 supercharged) trucks that a freind of mine is final wiring. it is a junkyard puller fan from a 93-95 lincoln mark 8, 4600 cfm at 60% ( read at startup and under normal conditions with up to 6400 cfm avail through a controller that you can manually use or have it automatic on the temp circuit. I am thinking long and hard as the mighty 3FE is jsut plain slow, 10 horses is a lot when you have about 180 to deal with.
    Dave

15. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

PHAEDRUS- I thought the 3FE was more like 150hp?

16. wussyPup

wussyPup just another ex-VI Cruiser

If turned off prior to swimming, can these aux. pushers survive frequent imersions?

I'm considering options for remote tranny and PS cooling.

Thanks, -Steve

17. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Hey don't knock wishful thinking.
    Dave

18. Rich

Rich

I think that this is the circumstance where a belt driven fan has the advantage over an electric fan. Much more power is available to a belt driven fan to move air than is available to an electric fan. Of course the belt fan has to be set up to do the required work, meaning the viscous coupler has to be up to snuff.

Where I see an electric fan having an advantage is when engine is operating at low rpm and vehicle at low speeds. When towing heavy loads up hill the engine should be in proper gear to be operating at or above peak torque, so the rpms are going to be high, and a belt fan able to move more air than an electric.

19. Bearcat80

Bearcat80

Thanks for the opinions...

I was under the hood of a co-workers 2004 GMC pickup today, guess what, dual fans of the electric persuasion, Hmmm... man you could stuff a Cat 3406 in that engine bay. I'm still undecided and probably won't have to do anything until I get a bigger boat. The boat I tow only weighs +/- 1000 lbs, and since I got the new shaman fan clutch no real problems with heat or overheating, I hope. (AC Blows cold so no real overheat issues, need to install accurate temp guage) My brother can do HG install this winter, so I'll tackle it then. More than likely his need to Tool Time everything (MOre POwa) will result in a TRD supercharger or something at that point, which will force the cooling issue. (If towing bigger boat, need more power, POwer costs money, bigger boat costs money, oh what to do, what to do) Thanks again, much to think about.

20. wileetoyote

wileetoyote

Single fan. Drove home with only 4 blades. no cooling issues though cause it was mainly highway driving. Replacement fan assy costs me ~$40.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">