why my cruiser was running like crap... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
first let me say that i'm a dope. i noticed a few months ago that my V8 was running really crappy. i have been chasing the problem for a long time, mostly adjusting the carb mixture and idle, and changing vaccuum hoses. anyway-i noticed today that one of the spark plug wires was touching the header and that it had burned it completely through. i have been running of 7 cylinders for about 2 months. anyway- got that fixed and we're back to normal. i could kick myself in the shorts sometimes.

At least you found the real problem... not so much of a dope. It is always good to know that some major problems can be that simple to fix.

Don't feel too bad, I once took a truck to an alignment shop because it was pulling to the right, after a full alignment (80$), they found that I had screwed up the e-brake cable on, you guessed it, the right side and it was dragging the right rear brake. At least you found it yourself, I had to pay a pro to find out I was dumb. Live and learn, right?

saint60 said:
..anyway-i noticed today that one of the spark plug wires was touching the header and that it had burned it completely through. back to normal.
Hey, at least you eventually observed and diagnosed the problem without having to hire a high-priced "expert". As Yogi Berra once said, "Sometimes you can observe a lot just by watching".

Don't feel bad - I did the EXACT same thing. Only mine was a loose wire so the issue really was intermittent......

I had a similar experience. New wires and it was ready to roll!

At least you found it yourself. my mechanic thinks my wires are cr@p. (basically falling apart @ connectors).

maybe a partial hijack - i have DUI livewires and they are JUNK...

anyone know of good HEI wires that work w/ DUI dist on a LC? any links or sites? thanks guys!

rob

For those DUI wires I'd just go to the auto parts stores and check out the various GM HEI wire sets. From what I've seen the DUI is a copy of the HEI, and it looks like the HEI wires will work. Look close though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom