Why is my air-conditioner belt twisting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday all,
This is the second time my air cond belt has twisted on itself… the first time was over 2500km ago - after driving on horribly corrugated roads. Today I noticed it has done the same thing again…. I am unsure why this would happen as nothing has changed, and nothing seems out of place… I have ordered a new belt, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Drew
05EA7043-3F24-4112-8367-A6AC6290D728.jpeg
25896549-7EA1-4F18-B335-AD2ED6532E3B.jpeg

Gday all,
This is the second time my air cond belt has twisted on itself… the first time was over 2500km ago - after driving on horribly corrugated roads. Today I noticed it has done the same thing again…. I am unsure why this would happen as nothing has changed, and nothing seems out of place… I have ordered a new belt, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Drew
View attachment 3148025View attachment 3148026

some better photos would help 🤔

what 60 Series engine is this anyway ?

is this a 2H or a 3B or a 13BT

12H-T ?

Gday all,
Thanks

Drew
View attachment 3148025View attachment 3148026

did you ADD- ON this A/C compressor ?

it looks different some how ?

the service fittings look NON-OEM toyota a bit .......?

She's a 12HT by the looks.
Are all the bearings in the idlers good? Nothing walking around at all?

She's a 12HT by the looks.
Are all the bearings in the idlers good? Nothing walking around at all?

Gday all,
Thanks

Drew
View attachment 3148025

this being loose could hause the tensioner to wander ?

1666521551169.jpeg

Thanks for the replies so far.
Factory 12ht - 1988 HJ 61 manual
Factory (new, a couple of years back) idler pulley / bearing for the aircond
Factory aircond

Engine rebuild about 70000km ago

Never had an issue in the 5 or so years and 175000 or so km’s I have done in it…. Until recently!

I can take better photos tomorrow if it helps!

Only thing unusual is the belt lengths are different (and have always been since I owned the car) to what is specified on web sites…
Air cond - Gates 13A1400
Alternator - Gates 15A1150
Power Steering - Gates 15A0890 (this is right at the end on the tensioner adjuster - and still seems too loose, so just today I ordered a 15A0875… will see if it fits (but is separate to the air cond belt problem….)

Looks to me like the V groove on the AC pulley is too narrow for the belt, so the belt is twisting to fit into the pulley better due to tension. Maybe less tension on the belt? Or a narrower belt? That said, it looks like the belt fits well into the other pulleys, so I don't know that a narrower belt wouldn't cause other issues for you. Not sure about a wider V pulley since it's OEM.

Another cause could be the pulleys' are out of alignment. Just a thought.
:beer: ✌️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom