Why is my 60 backfiring slightly at idle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I hate to point fingers but I will, everything was fine with the 60 until my mom drove it to work on Friday, then all of a sudden everything is breaking!!
A tune up was done last summer, as well as a brand new Toyota Carb, new exhaust, and cat. Well today I drove the Cruiser for a while, then parked it. Now I just went to move it and let it idle a bit. When it was at idle, it was backfiring, just a bit but it was still noticeable. I think this just started.

I don't know if this is related but today when I took it out, I choked it as usual, but I forgot to shut the choke off. I drove about 5 miles before I realized it. Could that be a cause? Did I F-up my cat by driving 5 miles with the choke on?

Thank you,
Zack

If your emissions stuff is all hooked up properly and working, the choke opens itself after warmup so you don't ruin your cat/sufficate your neighbors.

Backfiring at idle, you say? Huh. My first thought would be timing.
Is it through the carb or tailpipe?

most backfiring does go through the exhaust - it is the only outlet for air, unless you have a vaccum leak somewhere it can go through that point as well. you have to find where is starts not where it ends. Check your timing first - eliminate easy then if that doesnt work go look at the other stuff.

my two cents - and i think they are Canadian pennies too :flipoff2:

I agree, check your timing. Once had a engine v8 backfireing and it was a loose distributor bolt, timing was way off.

Timing is jacked. Fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom