Why I hate MY FJ60 today... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Up in Canada, It was a nasty morning here also. Took a long time for the 60 to start this morning, i wasnt even sure if it was going to. (first year ive had the 60 in the snow, up until today everything has started fine) The temperature was around -20 Degrees Celsius, which is around -4 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Today I don't hate my 60, but rather feel sorry for it. See, I just traded my 40 on a 1997 FZJ80 Collector's Edition and after the initial ride in it, I know the 60 is going to see some extended garage time instead of getting to play in the snow. Just got the new beast home about 10 mins ago. Bittersweet I tell ya...

So has anyone figured out a way to power a block heater while the truck is sitting in a parking lot at work??? I'm going to be getting a freeze plug style block heater (very soon) and ws wondering if anyone has figured out a way to have it start at 3:00 p.m. with a timer or something. Maybe use an inverter and plug a timer into that???? I wouldn't think that it should draw too much amperage...... Any other ideas. Any Alaskians or canukians w/ ideas??

Blue 60

The place I used to work at in Ottumwa, IA had a row of electrical outlets along the fence just for such things.

I don't worry about it too much at work.

I remember Iowa... My brother still has a farm in southern IA... Enjoying NC...

cattleland1.JPG
cattleland2.JPG
cattleland3.JPG
cattleland4.JPG
cattleland5.JPG
cattleland6.JPG
cattleland7.JPG

What's ice? What's with minus numbers? Minus what? Park on a hill and roll to victory.

M

Couple of days ago it was 22 overnight here in Utah, my rig didn't know what the hell happened, really moaned and groaned, poor bastards they hate this cold!

But I'd rather be here and deal with it for 5 months than in Hurricane territory!

I was really stoked.

I parked my 60 in an airport lot in Indianapolis for 6 days. When the plane landed back in Indy, it had to be deiced before we could even get off. I got to the Cruiser with a some doubt as to wether it would start. Plus I was taking 3 other folks back to home. Damn..

Well, after several pumps, choke out, and 10 seconds of cranking vrrrroooom. YEAH.

Sorry Doc, I was excited. The passengers sured had a worried look on their face by about the 9th second of cranking:) .

I guess I would have had more trouble if it was -20;)

Mike S said:
What's ice? What's with minus numbers? Minus what? Park on a hill and roll to victory.

M

The bump start was my friend when i first got my 60 :D

We got the same ice and snow here in Omaha on Tues. I will have to try the Pam idea. My 60 has started with a little prodding, my problem is the PS. It groans like a bear who came out of hibernation to early when its cold. Time to rebuild??

Hodag

chitown40 said:
Today I don't hate my 60, but rather feel sorry for it. See, I just traded my 40 on a 1997 FZJ80 Collector's Edition and after the initial ride in it, I know the 60 is going to see some extended garage time instead of getting to play in the snow. Just got the new beast home about 10 mins ago. Bittersweet I tell ya...

wow...got rid of the 40. i have been toying with idea of actually trading my 60 for a 40 at some point. i at least decided not to sell the 60 to fund a car for the kid. doc, chitown, gumby and all you other midwesterners...i feel for ya and i'm sure glad to be down here in Texas right now. the 60 is sitting out front all warm and cozy. :flipoff2:

Resurrecting an old thread, but I had to crawl in through the rear door this morning, use a pair of vice grips to even get the passenger door lock pulled up.

Took a few cranks but she still started. I think it was -5 last night. No block heater.

Guess which dumbass thought it would be a good idea to go through the carwash yesterday? This one. So now every door is frozen solid. At least I can climb in and out through the passenger side, but the driver's door lock won't pull up at all.

Good times.

Feel sorry for my BeBe as we finally got some real snow last night and this morning only to find that I have about 10seconds of massive bearing noise/grinding when I hit 30mph. Guess I did something wrong when I rebuilt the driverside knuckle earlier this year. That or my u-joint at the front driveshaft is about shot and the new lift is giving it grief..

So after driving around, and leaving 60 running and the heater on full while I was in the grocery store for an hour, I was finally able to get the driver's door lock pulled up and the door open so I can get in and out like a decent human being.

Lots of WD40 spray going in there this evening for sure.

So after driving around, and leaving 60 running and the heater on full while I was in the grocery store for an hour, I was finally able to get the driver's door lock pulled up and the door open so I can get in and out like a decent human being.

Lots of WD40 spray going in there this evening for sure.
May be time to coat everything with some white lithium grease or other water repellant grease so it actuates easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom