Why does my 80 series squeaks in reverse? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a relatively new 80 series owner and lately my cruiser has been squeaking in reverse. It is pretty loud and it is driving me crazy. Does anybody have any experience or solutions with this on their own rigs.

At least give us a model year. There are three separate drivetrain configurations in the US market alone.

If it's a '95 - '97, it may be the known transmission issue:

At least give us a model year. There are three separate drivetrain configurations in the US market alone.

If it's a '95 - '97, it may be the known transmission issue:

Based on previous activities it's a 1996

Not really helpful, but mine squeaks a little in reverse on occasion, because I need to free up the e-brake situation in the rear. I sometimes hear it while moving forward, in both cases at very slow speed when leaving my driveway or a parking lot.

Have you tried to hear which area it’s coming from, at least? That could be a helpful start. Have a friend follow & listen from outside the vehicle. Also, what is “pretty loud?” That is certainly relative to each individual driver

Last edited:
@JamesStuart11

What Year, model, mileage is your 80 series?

Does the squeak occur when just rolling backwards, transmission in neutral?

Does the noise change when pressing on the brake pedal?

Does it tend to occur when in Reverse and backing up an incline?

The transmission noises (squeek, chatter) problems in Reverse discussed in the links above were in the A343F transmission (95+-97 model FZj80's).

If you think the issue is due to the transmission itself, one thing to try would be a complete transmission fluid exchange and refill with the correct Dexron II/III compatible ATF. One drain and refill of the transmission pan with 3 1/2 quarts (assuming it's the A343F) is not enough.

IME, if the wrong fluid and/or additives have been added that can make an occassional minor transmission squeak in reverse much worse.

WARNING: whomever works on your vehicle warn them to be very gentle when replacing the transmsision pan drain plug and to always use a new correct Toyota crush washer. If the plug is overtightened you can spin the bung that holds the threads on the pan. If that happens it will never seal properly, and there are no (zero) replacement transmission pans anywhere (no OEM, no aftermarket) AFAIK.

Last edited:
Not really helpful, but mine squeaks a little in reverse on occasion, because I need to free up the e-brake situation in the rear. I sometimes hear it while moving forward, in both cases at very slow speed when leaving my driveway or a parking lot.

Have you tried to hear which area it’s coming from, at least? That could be a helpful start. Have a friend follow & listen from outside the vehicle. Also, what is “pretty loud?” That is certainly relative to each individual driver

This! Mine does the same thing, but I don't get the sound going forward, only in reverse. I need to tear it all apart and rebuild. @OTRAMM has a good video on removal and replacement of the ebrake assembly.

Universal joints are prone to a squeak or squeal when in reverse, this is not just an 80 issue, it is common on many RWD cars as well as 4WD.

Worth greasing at least, but if they have been run dry then they are well on the way out anyway, they are a DIY repair job.

Regards

Dave

I think my case is the exact same, the sound is louder and more consistent in reverse but I have heard it in a parking lot driving forward aswell. When I was driving forward it sounded like one squat for every rotation of the wheel (the faster I went the squeak had shorter intervals.

Not that loud from the inside but from the outside I could here it backing up from a few hundred feet away.

Universal joints are prone to a squeak or squeal when in reverse, this is not just an 80 issue, it is common on many RWD cars as well as 4WD.

Worth greasing at least, but if they have been run dry then they are well on the way out anyway, they are a DIY repair job.

Regards

Dave
I'll check it out, Thanks

This! Mine does the same thing, but I don't get the sound going forward, only in reverse. I need to tear it all apart and rebuild. @OTRAMM has a good video on removal and replacement of the ebrake assembly.

Thanks for the link to the vid, Im going to try to rule out some other possibilities before I disassemble the rear brakes but I think my sound is coming from the rear so maybe it is this

@JamesStuart11

What Year, model, mileage is your 80 series?

Does the squeak occur when just rolling backwards, transmission in neutral?

Does the noise change when pressing on the brake pedal?

Does it tend to occur when in Reverse and backing up an incline?

The transmission noises (squeek, chatter) problems in Reverse discussed in the links above were in the A343F transmission (95+-97 model FZj80's).

If you think the issue is due to the transmission itself, one thing to try would be a complete transmission fluid exchange and refill with the correct Dexron II/III compatible ATF. One drain and refill of the transmission pan with 3 1/2 quarts (assuming it's the A343F) is not enough.

IME, if the wrong fluid and/or additives have been added that can make an occassional minor transmission squeak in reverse much worse.

WARNING: whomever works on your vehicle warn them to be very gentle when replacing the transmsision pan drain plug and to always use a new correct Toyota crush washer. If the plug is overtightened you can spin the bung that holds the threads on the pan. If that happens it will never seal properly, and there are no (zero) replacement transmission pans anywhere (no OEM, no aftermarket) AFAIK.
It is a 96 with 197k and the previous owner seems like he kept it in good mechanical condition,

Im not sure to any of your question but I will test it out and get back to you,

Thanks,

To add to my post, my little e-brake lever things on the inner side of each rear wheel, which are moved by the cable, do not move freely. I had to hammer them back out to release the e-brake after I noticed it, but I still get that very faint squeak. Definitely in line with wheel rotation like you said, and goes away beyond SLOW speed. I’m not putting it high on the list, but eventually will open things up to take care of it. Much easier than a transmission issue!

Thanks for the link to the vid, Im going to try to rule out some other possibilities before I disassemble the rear brakes but I think my sound is coming from the rear so maybe it is this
You don't need to disassemble to check. Like @SpenserAK mentioned, just climb under the truck and see if the bel cranks move freely as the ebrake is applied and released. If yours are like mine, they need to be hammered in to fully release hence the dragging/squeaking sound if they do not fully release.

U-joints.

My rear driveshaft sounded like a dying cat when in reverse. I pulled the rear driveshaft and locked the center diff to isolate the sound and confirm the rear driveshaft had a bad u-joint. I pulled the u-joint apart and found the cups dry with one cup full of rusted needle bearings. New u-joints installed and all was quiet afterwards.

Did you ever find the specific location of the sound? Sorry if I skimmed past that if so

As noted above, can definitely be ujoints. I had both going on - bad squeak in the rear, but rather than a dying cat, mine sounded almost exactly like an eagle screech, and there was a vibration. PO used cheap joints and the seals gave out after a few years. Fixed that, but still have the light squeak coming from the e-brakes. I’m assuming the innards are seized up like the bel cranks on the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom