Why do you go camping?

ferg

When I lived 'in town' it was to 'get away' to peace and have a good time with friends of like mindedness. Now that I live in the boonies far from 'town' it's mostly peaceful enough. But I do still miss the desert Southwest something fierce. Have not be camping in way too long, years.

mingles

GOLD Star
Solitude. Getting away from civilization.

Being alone (or in a small group) in wilderness is a useful reminder to me of how small and insignificant my concerns are in the context of the global natural environment. For me, there is nothing like looking up at a clear night sky, with no light pollution, to remind me of the awesome vastness and power of nature to put me back in my rightful place 👍.

Beyond that..., a hot campfire, the smell of wood smoke, and a cold beer are pretty attractive too :D

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star

I only ever camp where there is no infrastructure - meaning: on a multi-day canoe trip, on the Camino del Diablo, on the Mohave Road, in the White Pocket . . . you get the idea . . .

and "infrastructure" to me means: toilet, shower, enclosed sleeping room, motel, hotel, restaurants - I won't camp if they are available within an hour drive from the wheeling trail(s)

so, in the strict sense, I don't go on "camping trips", I go on trips that go places without infrastructure, so then I have to camp there

but camping just for the sake of camping holds no allure to me at all :meh: (so never in an organized campground) - did I mention we don't do fire, either - hell, don't we go to remote places for the dark sky in the first place ?

Hugh Heifer

Georgia bound.

When I was a kid we camped because it was so much cheaper than hotel rooms for a family of 6 on an Army Captain's salary.

But my parents both enjoyed the outdoors. I was also in the Army so "camping" had a different meaning.

Now I do not go as much as I would like. I do not have much time to get away and the wife really isn't into it. I like to go when there are like minded folks who want to enjoy the outdoors and the solitude.

UltraFJ40

ที่นี่และมี
SILVER Star

I camped enough in the Marine Corps, I'm about tired of that. It did have a different meaning though.

Please don't get me wrong, I like to be outside, mosquitoes, bugs and alligators don't bother me but I prefer the bedroom where I can keep it warm. Often times in the summer it's too cold out at night for me.

Last edited:
Aren’t you supposed to start by giving your reasons first?
I thought about it but wanted some unbiased responses first.

The first half of my marriage my wife and I did a lot of traveling and camping.
I have stayed in hotels and motels to for my wife's sake but personally would rather sleep on the ground in my own bedding than on a bed that countless strangers have been in doing who knows what.
In the late 70's finally got small travel trailer and had the best of both worlds.

In between camping and traveling to art shows I would often be sitting at my art table and doodle floor plans of dream houses and think of moving out away from things.
30 years ago this last Nov. I achieved that goal.
Built a largish house on a fairly sizable piece of land and haven't wanted to go anywhere ever since and it sometimes bothers me.
I hardly get more than twenty miles from home and 40 in a pinch.

I guess I am just trying to get some insights in hopes of sorting out my own thoughts and feelings.

I camped enough in the Marine Corps, I'm about tired of that. It did have a different meaning though.
You sound like my dad.
During WW2 he trained in the desert moving between Yuma and Glamis area.
I used to dune buggy at Glamis and one time suggested he go there with me for a weekend.
His reply was "I crawled across that fcuking desert on my belly and don't want anything more to do with it."

UltraFJ40

ที่นี่และมี
SILVER Star

You sound like my dad.
During WW2 he trained in the desert moving between Yuma and Glamis area.
I used to dune buggy at Glamis and one time suggested he go there with me for a weekend.
His reply was "I crawled across that fcuking desert on my belly and don't want anything more to do with it."
Good on Pops. :clap:

I thank him for his service.

Top Bottom