Why do people use RTV or a sealer on the front hub flanges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
I see videos where cone washers are bring removed and the person is complaining about someone using a sealer or RTV on the hub flange.

When I took mine apart, I did not find evidence of a sealer or RTV. The old flange gasket was still functional.

I'm trying to determine why sealers or RTV would be used on the hub flange.

Because shadetree mechanics think it is a good gasket alternative.
I found evidence on both mine when I took them apart. Luckily it was not gobbed on like I have come across in the past but just a light smear to great a seal. When shops are shady and don't realize there is a particular gasket for that part, this is the next best thing apparently.

Ultimately, they really shouldn't be used on that part, where there is a proper gasket, use the gasket... plain and simple.

Because shadetree mechanics think it is a good gasket alternative.
I found evidence on both mine when I took them apart. Luckily it was not gobbed on like I have come across in the past but just a light smear to great a seal. When shops are shady and don't realize there is a particular gasket for that part, this is the next best thing apparently.

Ultimately, they really shouldn't be used on that part, where there is a proper gasket, use the gasket... plain and simple.

Thanks for the quick response. I can see that. I bought all gaskets and related parts.

Laziness mainly- not having the replacement gasket, and prob not planning on seeing it back to fix next time..... or they wouldn't use it.

Finished up the first hub installation. I got the bearing preload set on 12 lbs using the fish scales. Then when I put on the lock nut and torqued it, it moved the preload up to about 17 lbs. I backed off the lock nut just a touch so the preload is at 14 lbs then set the lock washer tabs.

I used a makeshift affair to pull out the axle. I'm running snap ring size D.

How does it look?

1593652006563.png

If the surfaces are beat up, the gasket won’t cut it.

Some people don’t remove them correctly and use a chisel or whatever. This scares up the mating surfaces.

Otherwise, not needed.

Cheers

Sano man! Good work

Do you guys fill the little hub cap cover with grease before installing it or rub grease on the end splines and spring clip?

Do you guys fill the little hub cap cover with grease before installing it or rub grease on the end splines and spring clip?
I put grease in the cap, not filled but a decent amount in there. Pretty sure that is how @2001LC does it.

It looks like may be one of the studs is loose???

Thanks. All torqued to 27 ft lbs. I'll check that one again. Sometimes pictures show what I can't see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom