Why do my turn signals not flash?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fixed It!!!!

overton said:
SWAP THE BULBS WITH YOUR OLD SIGNALS - This happened to me and that was the fix - Drove my body guy NUTS!

Mr. Overton, you are correct!! The crappy bulbs are single contact, but my double contact bulb from my old housing went in and lo and behold.... The bastids flash!!!! :bounce:

You fawkin' rock man!! Thanks for the advice.

Now I gotta stop by the parts store and get some "good" single contact, short globe turn signal bulbs to replace them all with.

I'm so glad this is over. :rolleyes: It's :beer: time....

I went to the parts store today and picked up a Buss electronic flasher model 232. I made two short adapter wires to go to the flashers two prongs and works great!

Senator Nickles? I'm very good friends with his brother Doug!

Glad it worked for you.

Yea, my brother is married to Don's cousin. It's not the smart side of the family. They all moved to California in the 30s, when Okies were a dime a dozen and natural gas wasn't worth anything.

Outback said:
Mr. Overton, you are correct!! The crappy bulbs are single contact, but my double contact bulb from my old housing went in and lo and behold.... The bastids flash!!!! :bounce:

You fawkin' rock man!! Thanks for the advice.

Now I gotta stop by the parts store and get some "good" single contact, short globe turn signal bulbs to replace them all with.

I'm so glad this is over. :rolleyes: It's :beer: time....

Well I guess all this dicking around with old Land Cruisers finally produced some helpful information - whadyaknow! Glad to be of service -
:)

FAILURE!!! Didn't work!!

Well guys, I went through 3 different types of bulbs with one drawing 12 watts -- still not enough to trip the flasher :mad: Only the 1156 at 21? watts will trip the flasher and it won't fit in the housing :mad: :doh: :mad:

So, I'm down to putting in some resistors.

How does one go about putting these in the lead that goes to the blinker bulb? Do I just put it inline like a fuse? Any suggestions are appreciated. I have one bulb that draws ~9 watts and another that draws ~12 watts and both fit in the housing.

What ohm resistor do I need to get up to what it takes to trip the flasher? Thanks guys. This is very frustrating...

PJ Ice.

Personally, I think the electronic flasher in the above post is the easy way to go. If you want to do the resistor, get one that has the same resistance as the bulb (about 10 ohms) and is rated for 20 watts and wire it from the hot wire to ground (in parallel with the bulb). The resistors will probably cost more than the electonic flasher.

Jody I'm pretty sure if you go to the electronic flasher all your problems will end and it's a really simple fix.

Pin_Head I don't think running it in parallel will work if I remember from my old electronics class total resistance in a parallel circuit would be less than the largest resistor. I think 1/r1 + 1/r2 = Total reisistance. If he runs it in series it would cut his bulbs brightness.

Alright guys, tomorrow I get a new flasher and wire it up as mentioned earlier. Gotta take the easy way out on this one.... I'm sick of it.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

PJ Ice.

One over 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ...............

or... if two resistors of equal value, just divide by 2

john

Just go to your local wrecking yard, get a flasher from any GM car or truck,... the owner will probably give it to you, or charge you $.50, and wire it in place of your existing flasher.

Your problem is the light circuits (bulbs) don't have enough resistance to actuate the thermocouple in your oem flasher. The GM flashers require less resistance, yet will not adversely affect how your signals operate.

They Flash!!!

Thanks everyone!!

I just gave up and went to O'Reilly Auto and got a $10 2-prong electronic flasher, made a couple of adapter leads and plugged it in....

Viola!! Turn signals that FLASH!!
I would not have known to use an electronic flasher... Thanks to all who suggested it.

This forum rocks guys. The best source of information anywhere. Y'all take care...

Jody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom