Why do my breaks on a 1970 FJ40 still have a fade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970 fj that has a 1975 and up break conversion kit on it and I just put new pads and new shoes on it. I bled the brakes and adjusted the drums. It still has a fade to it and I have no idea I was thinking it had a leak but I can’t seem to find one and I have no idea where the proportioning valve is on it. Any help would be appreciated thanks👍

X2 what are you calling fade?

What do you mean by ‘a fade’? The brakes fade if you use them hard?

That will happen. Modern brakes are a lot better than these came with.
sorry the mistake I forgot what it was called when you first pump the breaks and there’s no compression like when you have unbeld breaks after a break job

sorry the mistake I forgot what it was called when you first pump the breaks and there’s no compression like when you have unbeld breaks after a break job

That sounds like you still have air in the lines.

Did you bench bleed your master (if new, or if you drained the old one)? How did you bleed the calipers and cylinders, and in what order?

That sounds like you still have air in the lines.

Did you bench bleed your master (if new, or if you drained the old one)? How did you bleed the calipers and cylinders, and in what order?
We bled the breaks multiple times and no I did not get the chance to because on my way to a friends house to do a hole break job with my master cylinder in hand my old master went out about half way there so I had to get it off to the side of the road to try not to hit any thing. And one more thing my e break doesn’t work ether

When you bled them, did you start at the farthest from the master and work to the shortest? In a stock North American 40, the farthest wheel is the left rear.

Last edited:
Sounds like you didn't bleed your master cylinder? That could be your problem.

If you had the front calipers off be sure you installed them with the bleeder on top!

Man. I did this last year and almost pulled my hair out. 20 years of messing with Cruisers and I just missed it.

You have drums on the rear still. Adjust them. Then, adjust them again. Then, adjust them again! This is VERY typical. The first pump pushes the shoes out to take up space. The next pump presses them against the drums creating pressure. You need to eliminate the space used up in the first pump.

You have drums on the rear still. Adjust them. Then, adjust them again. Then, adjust them again! This is VERY typical. The first pump pushes the shoes out to take up space. The next pump presses them against the drums creating pressure. You need to eliminate the space used up in the first pump.
So just adjust them a s*** ton of times (this is not me being sarcastic)

So just adjust them a s*** ton of times (this is not me being sarcastic)
No, just once or twice if you do it right. Adjust both shoes on one side out/tighter until you can't turn the wheel by hand. Step on the brake pedal a couple times. (Does it feel better yet?) Then back off each shoe 2 or maybe 3 clicks of the adjuster. Turn the wheel by hand. It'll still rub some. Maybe even drag. That's ok. Do the other side the same.
Drive it and see if the "fade" is gone.

No, just once or twice if you do it right. Adjust both shoes on one side out/tighter until you can't turn the wheel by hand. Step on the brake pedal a couple times. (Does it feel better yet?) Then back off each shoe 2 or maybe 3 clicks of the adjuster. Turn the wheel by hand. It'll still rub some. Maybe even drag. That's ok. Do the other side the same.
Drive it and see if the "fade" is gone.
ok sound good I’ll try it out ASAP

Search this forum for e-brake adjustments. When i 1st got my FJ40 it was the 1st thing i fixed. I did not know anything about drum brakes or the parking brake - luckily this forum is filled with AWESOME info! For me the e-brake was a simple fix that didn't cost a thing.
The drum brakes were another story... after I replaced all drum cylinders on all four tires, it took me 2 or 3 days to properly adjust my brakes. After you bleed and make your 1st adjustment, you need to drive it, adjust again, drive it, adjust again, etc.
There's lots of great write-up about this.
Have Fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom