Why do I have to keep flipping this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
F5004FB5-D5E1-45CF-ACE9-8099B97ED8DF.jpeg

It sure if I am missing something or hooked something up wrong but every single time I go to start my truck following the carb rebuilding have to push this assembly forward, start the truck and it’s great. As soon as I push the gas peddle it flips back? What did I do wrong?

Choke Breaker cam/arm is in the wrong position. What's going on with your choke cable?

Current position means your choke is closed, take air cleaner cap off and you should see it closed. Highlighted rod appears to be connected incorrectly. It should be attached as shown. This looks to be holding the choke closed.

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 5.00.17 PM.png

Should be connected here:

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 5.01.59 PM.png

Then don't forget to hook up choke cable, I don't see the ferrule or cable mounted.

Last edited:
Also missing one or both of the tiny washers that go on the CB link rod. That allows the link to slide into the choke arm and hang up.

Also missing the washer on the bottom of the AP overtravel spring, which will allow the spring to screw itself down the pushrod. Probably missing the washer and nylon bush at the top as well.

So it is in the open position. So it is operating correctly. I guess the real question/problem statement is. Before having to rebuild the carb, the truck started up just fine without using the choke, idled great and then all of a sudden would not idle at all. Rebuilt the carb, idles okish but I HAVE to use the choke to start the truck. It absolutely will not start without the choke (closed).

So it is in the open position. So it is operating correctly. I guess the real question/problem statement is. Before having to rebuild the carb, the truck started up just fine without using the choke, idled great and then all of a sudden would not idle at all. Rebuilt the carb, idles okish but I HAVE to use the choke to start the truck. It absolutely will not start without the choke (closed).

None of mine will start with the choke open

None of mine will start with the choke open
Gotcha, it runs a whole lot better with the carb rebuilt. I drove it about 2k miles, blew a head gasket, then drove it about 7-8K miles and had to rebuild the carb. I suppose I can hook the cable right back up and just pull it closed until it starts and let it ride.

Gotcha, it runs a whole lot better with the carb rebuilt. I drove it about 2k miles, blew a head gasket, then drove it about 7-8K miles and had to rebuild the carb. I suppose I can hook the cable right back up and just pull it closed until it starts and let it ride.

Are you at sea level? If so, above about 60* it should start with one press on the throttle. Low idle, but it will run assuming its tuned correctly with solid vacuum, no choke. If you need multiple taps on the throttle to start, there are issues to be resolved unless the truck has been sitting for days and days.

I suppose I can hook the cable right back up and just pull it closed until it starts and let it ride.

Pulling the choke cable does two things, it pulls the choke plate closed and it increases the idle speed. The choke plate will not stay fully closed once the engine starts. There are two linkages on the carburetor, choke breaker and choke opener. The choke breaker opens the choke plate slightly just after the engine starts to prevent too rich a mixture. The choke opener fully opens the choke once then engine is warm (coolant above 66F).

So it did start with one press of the throttle and now with the rebuilt carb, everything it hooked up, it requires full chock to start?

Making sure your valve clearances are all set correctly can really benefit your starting too.

Rebuilt the head about 8k miles ago and adjusted all the valves then.

Won’t hurt to check the clearance. Things can wear in and it’s an easy thing to do b

So today I piddled with hooking up the choke cable for the first time only to discover that the cable was broken mid way through. Luckily my buddy has one he is mailing over and maybe I can just live with choking it every time I start it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom