1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I do this to myself?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Doc, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    [​IMG]

1990 Toyota 4runner, v-6 rebuilt two years ago. SAS swap, e-lockers F/R, Marlin Crawler x-fer, 4.56 gears, 20" front wheel travel. 35's.

[​IMG]

Yes, that's an intercooler on the front bumper. Small mitsu turbo pushing 5 psi.

Yellow 'paint' is actually the textured bedliner stuff.

Gets like 9 mpg.

I want it. I want it bad. I have no real way to justify this beast. The nearest wheeling destination that would justify equipment like this is 3.5 hrs drive north into MN. (Iron Mountain).

Seller wants 6k$ even for it.

Interior is really dirty. Would need a GOOD thorough cleaning and an AC recharge (R12). Also has a roll bar inside.

Is 6k in the range here? I know there's a LOT of work on this truck, probobly worth it. But worth it to me..... well there's the question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. swank60

swank60

I'd buy Noah's 60 before I'd ever consider that thing...

3. mabrodis

mabrodis

Kinda sucks the interior is in such bad shape, looks to be mostly gutted in the back (from that spare tire pic)...my bro is semi-looking for something like that, I'll mention it to him...

So he can buy it right out from under you Doc... :D

4. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Doc, I've got at least 5K into mine and it doesn't have an SAS and it doesn't have a Marlin box or duals in it. A single marlin box for the V-6 is ~$1200.

Not sure about the turbo. 5psi isn't much, but headgaskets are notorious with the V-6. Check the receipts to see what's been done for the headgasket recall.

Mine gets TERRIBLE gas mileage, worse than our 80.

Assuming the SAS was done right, seems like a decent deal. I was debating selling mine and buying another 80 to build as a DD/wheeler, but I really like driving the 4runner. Assuming the back seats are still there you'll have plenty of room for Jr.

5. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, back seats are there, and panels are in the garage. The guy never put them back in after fabing up the roll bar.

He certainly doesn't believe in the vacuum.

I'm torn.

6. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    In all reality I could take half that cash and put it in the 'tank' and have a very nice rig. I'd still be loosing the rust battle, but it would wheel very well.

I guess one of the main reasons I was considering it is because it's already built. I don't have to do anything to it before I go wheel it. And, yes, Noah's 60 is very nice. And probably better maintained than this one.

7. cruzer

cruzer

SKIP IT! yeah its built but i think the details will kill you. You can find similar rigs in better shape for that kind of money. Just keep searching.

Stew

8. Critter

Critter

Is that a 3.0L V6? If so turn and burn...

Though... that is probably a pretty good deal considering the money he has in it. I know to do a SAS on a newer 4runner or Tacoma you are gonna spend upwards of 5K. If the work was done right it might be worth looking into.

9. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

On a 2nd gen runner if you do the work yourself you can buy a complete SAS kit from Marlin for $1500, includes high steer, LC rotors, totally complete. I don't know about Gen 3's or Tacos, but it would make sense that it's more difficult given the coil overs and rack and pinion.

I don't think all 3.0's are created equal. Mine has decent power. Buddy with a '93 runner drove it yesterday and was surprised, had a bunch more power than his. As long as the headgasket issue has been resolved.

10. chet

chet

It has e-lockers too which is around $1000-$1500 depending on where he got them. Talk him down to 5K :)

11. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

This guy wants $6k for Yeller.
    Noah (IIRC) wants $5k for Blue.

Buy Noah's, sell your 60 and you'll have a nice 60, already set up, ready to wheel and you're still ahead of the game dollars-wise.

12. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    That's exactly what I've been thinking about today. I might have trouble selling the wifey on that one though, since they are essentially the 'same' rig. Both 87 FJ60's . The wifey will just say, OK- just do that stuff to yours. She doesn't understand the process.

13. patride71

patride71

i agree with doug too. hell i would do it if i could, but i'd be about $2K short...

14. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Point out the rust that you'd have to battle with yours...and the time involved with the build. How much time would you save? All that time would be spent with her and your boy rather than working on the rig ;)

15. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Not that I'm against 60's, but I would much rather have fuel injection than a carbonator. With elockers that thing is a sweet deal at $6K. Anything below is gravy.