Why did you buy your Hundy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was looking for a vehicle once my Nissan Leaf Lease was over. Needed another car at the time as replacement. So I started looking for just cars. But a friend said why not buy a SUV 4x4 so we can go off-roading. That peaked my interest. I also wanted to get out with my kids and do camping, canoeing, Outdoor stuff and get them "OFF THE DAAM" iPads. This was the perfect time to buy it.

So I started looking at all the alternatives that were SUV's, 4x4 and those that are reliable. Only a few vehicles fit that build. 4Runner, Nissan Patrol (Which at the time of buying we didnt have as 2nd hand used market), GX470, LX470, Land cruiser. I decided to only look for the Land Cruiser and LX. Till this day this was one of my best decisions. I love the car everyday I drive it and have gone out on several adventures with the kids and family. It was one my the best things I have every bought.

BTW for those who think Nissan Leaf is a bad car. Its not, its actually quiet preppy in acceleration and handles really well. I actually liked it a lot as well. But not so interested in the electric thing yet.

Besides the fact that I’ll always need something that can get me through snow and dirt roads, there are two significant events that led me to getting mine:

- While traveling (i.e. doing donuts) through some snow-covered parking lots, I high-centered my old Subaru Forester over about 16” of wet snow. My snow tires didn’t stand matter. I knew eventually I needed to either lift it or get something that sat higher.
- Totally unrelated to the above event: When my Forester was totaled from an engine fire, the rental company gave me a Dodge Durango with 7 seats. I absolutely loved it, but it was way out of my price range. So began the search for something just as big that I could afford.

In the end, I found that the 100s fit my budget, had a strong drivetrain, and were super reliable (top priority). Plus, I rarely see them on the road. I wanted something other than the tens of dozens of 4Runners, Tacomas, F-150s, etc.

I bought mine because a buddy wanted my previous 80. I had never owned a 100 so I figured it would be a good replacement to for the 80. So far I like it but there is a lot of difference in the two.

After owning my previous vehicles, a 12’ Ford Focus, of which I bought brand new , and having it rust out year one. Then switching over to a 13’ Ford Escape titanium, which had every option I could imagine. Both cars survived through my college years in Michigan! Moved to Colorado, and the Michigan salt cought up with the escape, and in 2016, I bought my LX. Growing up, I’ve always wanted a GX, and living with my relatives for a short while in Colorado whom only drive Toyota’s, I knew I wanted to try it! Instead of buying the GX, I did a ton of research, somehow managed to skip the buyers checklist part and found a clean LX in Denver. On that list, was an 05’ - 07’ ; had to be pearl white, and be from a rust free state. Upon finally finding my LX, I traded in my escape and landed in the drivers seat of this beast! Originally from Texas, she has far been maintenance free, but I started with that clean rust free body! I love my purchase, and the versatility of this SUV, along with the things you can do with them! Many plans for the years ahead, next on that list will be bumpers and sliders, but I am excited for what’s to come!

Then:

FCBE1405-7801-415C-9480-A62272315F26.jpeg

Now:

12C7BD81-D246-48D0-97FC-3E56C4915464.jpeg

I had a Land Rover and a lot of Jeeps. The last was Jeep was the final straw - tired of junk. Wanted a new Land Cruiser... but well, it was $70,000 and well. So, I bought a new FJ Cruiser. Loved that truck. 4.5 years later, that new Land Cruiser - the one from 4.5 years ago - was in the budget ('cause it wasn't new anymore!).

Then (okay, a week after I got it - tires, no running boards, TB nudge)
TgAkcBA.png

Last week:
rlseHB4.png

I have had a 40, an 80 and several Tundra' as well as 4 All-Trac Previa...

I just wanted to give a shout out to all the Previa owners, past and present (probably not many left). Great memories of my young family driving our red “egg” back and forth across country from Iowa/Indiana to CA/AZ/UT.

I stumbled into my 1994 80 series. I then specifically searched for my 1998 100 series. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.:cool:

Last edited:
I bought mine to save money. And it's working.

My Land Rover Discovery was dead. My Corolla was not big enough. Was going to buy a full sized super charged Range Rover. Found my Cruiser by accident.
One owner, bought brand new by a U of M professor. Never smoked in. Dealer serviced. He traded it in.

Congratulations! You saved tens of thousands of dollars compared to buying that Range Rover :D

I just wanted to give a shout out to all the Previa owners, past and present (probably not many left). Great memories of my young family driving our red “egg” back and forth across country from Iowa/Indiana to CA/AZ/UT.

I stumbled into my 1994 80 series. I then specifically searched for my 1998 100 series. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.:cool:
Amen!
The Prev' are another Japanese model with similar traits to the LC to me and a lot more truck than one would imagine until getting behind the wheel for a while.
If I could still find nice ones I would have one Today but..........
Tried replacing mine with an Odyssey or 2 and landed on a Sprinter T1N which I still use for work.

I miss the "Bean" though for sure!
This is my Egg

IMG_0569.jpg

I looked at various SUVs for a couple of years before deciding upon the Land Cruiser. What attracted me to it originally was the fact that it is used all over the world in places where maintenance and repairs are not always available. So reliability is a must. The Land Rovers that were also used there seem to be needing as much attention as the refugees the organizations were serving. At the time, the 100 was current generation. I knew this would be a DD and would not let me down no matter what the environment. Yes, its handy for hauling stuff, and can be modded for extreme offroad use.

I have mine because when I need to get to work no matter what the hour or weather, it goes.

This madness started with just wanting a 4x4 to go fishing with after looking at my getting old Mercedes sitting on the side of the road with two fishing rods in it. Almost 5 years later and I love the silly thing.
C65A19F0-1BF4-4680-81FD-D89162D5D8B9.jpeg

Mine:
Because I wanted a replacement for my 80 series, and Toyota/Lexus was no longer selling the 80 series. Walked into my local Toyota dealer, no white 100 series in stock. Walked into my Lexus dealer, and no "proper" white, but "we do have one in a weird Sand Dollar color with every option available for that model". More of a "vanilla" or "light chocolate milk", maybe I could live with that, how long to get a white one? 12 years later, Sand Dollar doesn't seem that weird, and it's still in my driveway.

My son's:
My original intent was to put him in in a 2004 4Runner (Limited, V8, 4wd) that I talked myself into buying as "most of a 100 series, at a substantial discount" to replace my 94 TLC that I had driven for the last 10 years, it was an OK vehicle, but I never loved it, I kept this as a 2nd vehicle and bought myself a real 100 series (the vehicle above). My son spent some time in the 4Runner, and my LX learning to drive. He had a strong preference for my LX, so we started looking for a used 80 or 100 series. The 80s we looked at were either trashed, or priced as collectible (some were even both). Once we eliminated the 80 series, we started seriously looking for a 100 series. We nixed the 98 & 99 because I'd prefer my kid be in a vehicle with VSC. We eliminated the 2003+ because he wanted to have aftermarket stereo options. So we looked at a lot of used non-nav 2000-2002 LC/LX vehicles (He preferred the sombrero) until we found one that was the right fit. "Cool" enough for kid. Safe snd slow enough for dad. We now had a father son project of building up his Land Cruiser (like his dad's old 80) and making it less likely to be confused with a soccer mom's vehicle. My nephew (who is right about the same age as my son) ended up with an 80 series for his 1st car, so it's been kind of interesting listening to them compare notes on their builds. My son says he's now "screwed" because when he compares the build quality of his 18 year old Land Cruiser to his friends and their parents (newer) vehicles, he is starting to realize what makes a "land cruiser" different, and he's going to have to find a good enough job/career to afford them, or live off of his dad's hand-me-downs forever.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vehicle that started my Land Cruiser "problem" (and probably my son's too, he rode home from the hospital in it, and this seemed a normal vehicle to him). l purchased it in 1994, had OME lift and ARB front bumper, and 285/75R16 tires installed before it was 6 months old. A few years later I added a Kaymar rear bumper, a washer relocation kit from some slee guy that welded it up in his own garage and advertised on George Couyant's mailing list (LCOOL, 80scool or something similar). After some O2 sensor check engine lights, a complete AC repair, and a 2nd complete AC repair I figured I'd replace this vehicle. Stupidest thing I've ever done (not the buying of the 100, but the selling of an 80). I'd driven my father's 98 LX470, and knew what to expect from the 100 series. This is a picture of my 80, although this is about 10 years after I sold it, I ran across the VIN at a salvage yard (rear end damage) about the time we were shopping for my son's 1st car
upload_2018-8-4_20-51-10.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations! You saved tens of thousands of dollars compared to buying that Range Rover :D

Dude you have no idea. I was going to buy it from a realtor on my route. Two weeks after buying my Cruiser the air suspension went flat on the Range Rover. I wouldv'e fixed it myself but still...
Insurance is cheaper. The loan was cheaper. Tires are cheaper. It had Brembo brakes so those are cheaper.
Anyway, 6mo later that realtor bought a 200 series Land Cruiser.

Decided I would search and get a 62, to rich for our blood at the time. Still is hahaha

Then looked at an 80, two of them. Just nothing real clean that I knew I could enjoy tinkering on.

Decided to make a call on a one owner (corporate) no grand kids, no pets, no accidents A+++ Carfax 100. Found on Craigslist of all places.

Lots of miles but the maintenance history is the best I had seen since my first 18yr career as a service writer.

This baby never missed anything because it was a tax write off. I have learned a ton thanks to MUD and really have come to appreciate the LC community albeit the 100 crew the best!

Pics are when I brought it home, and then now.

LC coming home.jpg

IMG_0484.JPG

Natural evolution. I drove an 85 Toyota truck in high school...then a 1990 4Runner...wife and I got this 1998 with 50K Miles...sold it with 100K (to family) and own it again, with 300K plus.
10C0D00D-1DFC-4538-AD5A-66D1B9999209.jpeg
After I sold the Runner the first time, got the 97 40th w/ factory lockers at 57K miles (already had a 77 FJ-40 by then) in 2000. Sold it with 250K miles 10 years later and bought my first of two consecutive 1999 100s
7593E93A-6B0B-4EAF-ABAA-FE6B20A057E7.jpeg
this is the second...sold the first with 180K miles to get this one with 105K Miles...I’ve had it 8 years and it now has 245K
AA760C2C-8DC7-4253-AE0C-C5BDA487C1F8.jpeg
We use these as my wife’s DD and our family (of 5) road trip vehicles. I sold the first 77 FJ-40, bought and sold a 72 FJ-55 and have owned my second 77 FJ-40 for 15 years and also have added an 89 4Runner as a kid car.

Love Toyota 4x4s and have a passion for Land Cruisers...

We love the previa we've had for 12 years! '94 SC All-trac model that's amazing in the snow. More SUV than a lot of modern "SUVs".
Like the 100 series, totally reliable and sort of a cult vehicle.
Decided on the 100 series because I wanted something I could work on and
IMG_20180804_174840.jpg
didn't want a car payment. Other factors were build quality, reliability, resale value and the fact that bad roads can lead to some pretty cool places!

I've always coveted Cruisers. I had an All-Trac Previa, and then a 2nd gen 4Runner. We finally outgrew that (and it was slow as hell), so I started looking for a 100. After almost a year of looking, I found an LX with good miles and history for a fair price (rare in CO).

How she sits today-
truckfront2.jpg

truckrear2.jpg

This is for the Previa enthusiasts- still probably the best snow vehicle I've ever owned. I took that van to places it had no business being lol.
prev!.jpg

And here's the 4Runner that I beat the crap out of for a few years
4runner.jpg

Why did I buy mine?

A few years ago, I took my family on vacation to Nantucket. At the time, I was driving a VW Tiguan. We were interested in driving to some of the secluded beaches which you can only reach if you have a 4x4 vehicle. The Tiguan is AWD, so, we were seriously considering taking it on to the beach.

On the day we were going to attempt beach driving, we decided to give 40th pole a try. I parked at the lot before you drive on to the beach, so I could air down the tires. We had recovery gear, shovels, planks of wood, tow cables, etc, but given I had my family with me, I was a bit nervous about getting stuck. I was in the lot, my family in the car, deflating my tires. While I'm out there airing down, a few guys drive by in a Jeep Wrangler with huge tires, lifted, etc. The guy in the passenger seat is looking right at me as I'm deflating the tires and starts laughing like he's just seen the funniest thing ever. I could still hear him laughing as they went around the bend. I'd like to think my Tiggy would have been fine that day, but, I actually didn't end up taking it on to the beach. I had done a bunch of research, and seen several videos of people getting stuck in sand, so I knew we were taking a chance. I think if it were just me, I still would have tried it, but, since I had my family with me, I didn't want to put them through that experience if we got stuck. The guy laughing at me and my Tiguan was the final straw.

After that, I swore I'd get an off-road / over-sand capable vehicle, and I started doing research on what options there were. The more I researched, the more I saw older Land Cruisers recommended as the best off-road "get anywhere" vehicles. I narrowed it down to the 100 series because I wanted the V8 engine, plus over-drive for highway driving, but I also wanted to keep the price under $10k while also having a "somewhat modern" interior. The other benefit is the amount of space we gained over the Tiguan. With the folding third row seats, I can take my in-laws or parents on trips with us too.

Since then, we've been back to Nantucket many times, and have driven pretty much from tip to tip of the island, and have never been stuck. During our travels I've seen several Jeeps get stuck though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom