Dodge Why did you buy a Dodge? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not a fan in the slightest,
<snip>

Personally, I think everything Chrysler's ever made is just outright fugly,

You must have missed a couple:
Challenger_1.jpg
vanish.jpg

I will give you that the original challenger's pretty nice (though when it comes to muscle cars, I'm an Olds 442 fan myself) but the newer ones look too blunted, the front clip kinda makes me think: "bathtub". It's like seeing my Granddad's swiss army knife as a kid, and thinking it was the coolest thing ever, but when I got my own newer one, the blade was dull, and the workmanship just wasn't there.

Nonetheless, I don't want you to think I'm down on your baby, there, I'd take a modern muscle car like yours over the new joke of a Camaro any day; but given my choice, and no 442's were around, I take the classic Challenger sight unseen.
That said, I'll adjust my earlier statement.

Owning both concurrently I can tell you that the new one is way, way, better than the original. The new blade is way sharper and the fit and finish is magintudes better.

Owning both concurrently I can tell you that the new one is way, way, better than the original. The new blade is way sharper and the fit and finish is magintudes better.
that's actually fairly surprising, in a good way; shoot, I would have expected Chrysler to rebadge a Stratus and call it a day.

Edit: I forgot to ask, does it have a 5-speed option, or is the new Challenger slushbox-only? That's the only deciding factor in any car I have an interest in these days.

Last edited:
Mine is a 6 speed Tremec manual with 3.91 gears in it's Getrag Sure Grip rear diff.

Mine is a 6 speed Tremec manual with 3.91 gears in it's Getrag Sure Grip rear diff.

Very nice!
And here I thought the manuals were becoming extinct.

Edit: earlier message removed, I felt it was inflammatory and not constructive in the conversation at-hand.

Last edited:
My first car was a 1974 Dodge Challenger. My second, 74 Dodge Challenger. Have had quite a few Dodges, power wagons and such. A Dodge family.

My grandfather sold them starting in the 19teens, sold them up and through the 70's. He was not your typical salesman though. I remember stories from his beginnings.

He would take the car and drive it from house to house. If he sold it to them he would leave it there for them and walk back to the dealership.

I remember one lady wanted a certain car but it had to be purple. This was in the 40's. He had it painted for her and took it to her and yep, she bought it.

Another he sold was a 1959 Dodge Custom Royal with a 361(I believe) Super Red Ramfire engine. He sold it to a lady new. She drove it a while and decided it was too big. He bought it back from her and it now sits under roof beside our barn.

Anyway, that is why I bought a Dodge. Still own a few along with some other makes. Always have been good to me.

KB

Last edited:
Smart guy.

Finally got the trans all sorted today. Drove it home. Drove it a little further to test the OD out.

Just shut off. Jumpered the fuel shut off solinoid to get it started. No alt, tach, OD. Had enough battery juice to keep the lights dim on the way home, then all at once everything came back on. I just need to pull out all the crappy Dodge wiring and fix everything.

What a POS. Why can't Toyota make a dually diesel?

What a POS. Why can't Toyota make a dually diesel?

I'm betting on it happening eventually. It wasn't until the second-gen Tundra that we got a full-size truck, maybe in a generation or two we may see a diesel dually?
All they need to do is domesticate one of the medium-sized Hino motors in tow trucks.

If there was any Dodge I would love to own:
bluesmobile_indy_02.jpg

1974 Dodge Monaco with Bluesmobile mod.

Sold the POS after problem after problem. Loved the motor. The rest of truck was one thing after another.

I hear that alot. That was what killed my old C10- just one thng after the next.

I have had a lot of Mopars and still have a few. Great vehicles, have always been good to me.

A Toyota dually, that would be cute.

Each have their strong points and each their weaknesses. 25 years of driving Mopars and not a single head gasket failure (never even heard of such a thing till I owned a Japanese make), no timing belts and only left stranded one time in a 1974 Dodge Challenger. A $3 ceramic resister fixed that.

I really like the quality build of the 94 FZJ80. I know back in the day the pickups though were no where near the truck of the American companies. The engine would run forever while the body fell off around it. I was used to crawling up in the Dodges by knealing on the tail gate. Did that on an 80's Toyota and the tail gate caved in at my knees. I only weigh 175.

So, anyone can beat down any make on any certain number of things. And lemons don't discriminate.

Me, I find great pleasure in diversity.

I wonder why some days. The interior has to be the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned. Don't touch the dash or it will self destruct. Drivetrain wise though, its bullet proof. I have a 1996 3500 Dually with a V10. It only has 140K and cost next to nothing. Did shocks, bushings, ball joints, fluids, etc and it runs good. Gas mileage, you ask? Surely you jest?

Now, if you would please go buy a Prius, I need your fuel.

I've owned my share of different trucks - Toyota 4x4 pickup, T100 4x4, Ford F250 4x4, Chevy M1008 4x4, Dodge V-8 4x4 & also a V10 dually 4x4. All these were from '86 to '94 model years. I finally graduated to (2) Dodge CTD's - '93 W350 & a '99 3500 4x4, both w/ 5spd's. Both were previously abused work trucks. The '93 was wrecked & salvaged. I haven't had any problems at all with this one. I got the '99 at a local auction in poor shape. I had to bring it back to life w/ a new tranny, injection pump & starter. Both have over 450K combined & the ONLY truck I'd sell them for is a newer Dodge CTD:

<UPDATE>
The '93 needed a brake master/ booster, valve adjustment & lift pump
DSC01067.JPG

Last edited:
Because I remember peeking over the dash of my Dad's 70 challenger and 71/72 RoadRunners, my grandfather's powerwagon, my cousin's hemi RoadRunner, and now my Dad has two 68 RoadRunner's a 383 and a 426 Hemi 4 speed.

Sounds like the OP needs to learn how to work on his own crap before flaming the manufacturer. Ford and Chevy have more recalls than Dodge.

Now (as you can see in my signature line) I have a 70 RoadRunner street thumper. Mopar motors have been dominating since the mid-sixties. Chill man - and go buy a FSM. kthxbai

Sounds like the OP needs to learn how to work on his own crap before flaming the manufacturer.

Are you fxxxing kidding me? Your daddy owned one 40 years ago and that makes you an expert?

The difference is not only do I know how to work on my own cars, I make a living working on all makes and models of cars.

There is no excuse for any Dodge built after 1974. The only thing they've done correctly is buy somebody else's engines. Too bad they wrap it in garbage.

Sad when partnering with Fiat might improve quality.

Got a 10 year old 100,000 mile Jeep in the shop right now. The owner put $7000 in it in the last two years. I had to tell her today it needs a heater core, ($800) an oil pan ($500) and it's not worth doing either of those things until we find out why the oil is full of metal chips.

And that's one of their better vehicles. I would buy a Toyota or a Honda twice that old and twice that many miles any day of the week.

Yeah, Mopar was dominating in the mid 60s. And arguably for about 5 years after that. Since then there is no way you can even begin to argue they have been making the dominant car on the market. Not without showing yourself to be an utter retard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom