Why did Toyota Stop bringing Landcruisers into Canada? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C

crazy canuck

With the interest in SUV's in Canada, and specifically the BEST SUV ;) The Landcruiser, why did they stop bringing them into Canada..(Yes I know the lexus versions, but not the REAL Landcruisers--no offence to LX/GX guys)

I think they would sell like hot cakes!--any ideas?

Most likely demand, or rather the lack of it.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10135;start=msg90393#msg90393 date=1074110180]
Most likely demand, or rather the lack of it.
[/quote]

Dan,

but Canada has such great places for wheeling. Do they use other rigs, so that the Landcruiser is not so popular?

Mike

Cost. the 60 series was a huge success in Canada, as the number still on the road will attest, but as the price rose late in production, sales dropped. I read somewhere they were looking at a 50% price increase for the new 80 and they did not believe the market would bear it. At that time the 91 80 series was definitely not a luxury barge. Also, 70 series sales were disappointing. There may also have been an import duty/free trade quota issue limiting cars made in japan.

As for why they don't bring them back, if you think about it, the LX450/470 and the TLC are pretty near identical, so why bring in a cheaper vehicle especially when Canada has less "rich" people to buy them due to our enlightened social policy and our excellent tax driven wealth redistribution program. I am also sure Toyota Canada is more interested in selling made in USA Sequoias at the TLC price point (as is Toyota USA).

To punish you for getting a few 70 series rigs while your neighbor to the south got jack :slap:.

when Canada has less "rich" people to buy them due to our enlightened social policy and our excellent tax driven wealth redistribution program
:D :D :D

You know what we need ... some guy with bucks and connections to funnel some 80's back into Canada for resale . That same guy could become a reseller for ARB & Slee etc etc . Probably go over well in the West ; perhaps BC or even Calgary .

Who's it gonna be , huh ?? :D

:cheers:

To punish you for getting a few 70 series rigs while your neighbor to the south got jack :slap:

I dont know about that . You just need to know what rock to look under :D

:rolleyes:

[quote author=Koffer link=board=2;threadid=10135;start=msg90577#msg90577 date=1074125290]
I dont know about that . You just need to know what rock to look under :D[/quote]

.... and be smart enough to have a friend with another 70

Neither you nor Tom better park outside. :flipoff2: :D

I had heard from someone at Toyota in the late 1980s, that they were selling about 200 FJ60 models a year. Semlin is correct that when the 80 was being considered, they knew the sales would even be less. 200 units a year wouldn't cover the costs they would incurr with bringing in the 80 series. In fact I'm not sure but they may have dropped the TLC even before the 80 came along.

This all took place before the SUV market took off. Much better to sell LX470s and 4-runners.

Yesterday I sent(Robb came down an drove it home) a 94fzj80 to canada(BC).........so I did my part, now please send a mining truck my way :D

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=10135;start=msg90429#msg90429 date=1074113396]
You know what we need ... some guy with bucks and connections to funnel some 80's back into Canada for resale . That same guy could become a reseller for ARB & Slee etc etc . Probably go over well in the West ; perhaps BC or even Calgary .

Who's it gonna be , huh ?? :D

:cheers:
[/quote]

:D dude........thats one of the funniest thing I have heard you say :)

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=10135;start=msg90424#msg90424 date=1074112558]
To punish you for getting a few 70 series rigs while your neighbor to the south got jack :slap:. :D :D :D
[/quote]

Hey Landpimp--

You're not done yet!!--How do I get you to scoop me one of those, or even possibly a 100?

I blame socialized medicine :cheers:

[quote author=crazy canuck link=board=2;threadid=10135;start=msg90714#msg90714 date=1074137130]
Hey Landpimp--

You're not done yet!!--How do I get you to scoop me one of those, or even possibly a 100?
[/quote]

I am will to help if I can, where ya at? Robb figured out all the customs stuff on his end, wasn't too bad, but the duty(22%) sure sucks!

Anything I can do to make your day a little brighter. :cheers:

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=10135;start=msg90675#msg90675 date=1074134501]
:D dude........thats one of the funniest thing I have heard you say :)
[/quote]

:flipoff2:

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=10135;start=msg90744#msg90744 date=1074139222]
Anything I can do to make your day a little brighter. :cheers:
[/quote]

Hey Landpimp, I'm in Vancouver, BC about 2 hours north of Seattle, WA. WHere are you ?

Hey Crazy..... another Vancouver guy here. There's actually a few of us now...

Just bring it in yourself. OR there's a few of us that are thinking about doing it on the side (for bling bling of course).

Greetings neighbor/Riley!

Is there alot $$ in bringing them up ?--I mean is there any margin left after all the BS fees, and if so, how much ?

hard to say but most good condition 80s sell for 30K CDN up here. you could probably land a really good one for low to mid 20K.

I'm not a used car dealer type but the thought has crossed my mind. The issue is the time to find them in the states.

Another problem is that selling one for 30K might take awhile. To most people thats a lot of dough for a used car.

Seriously if you really want one, find it in the states and bring it in yourself.

edit And if you are buying it for yourself.....and you plan on doing mods.... and you know what the mods are..... do them before you bring it in..... When going about it this way you save on the taxes for the mods (like OME, Sliders, parts from Dan ect.....).

Problem is that it takes forever to research and save up for the mods, so while this idea is great in theory.... in practice it sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom