1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why buy a 40 over a jeep?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 619TOY, Aug 27, 2006.

1. 619TOY

619TOY

Alright don't flame me over this. I' don't have the time or inclination to search this right now. I have an 80 (lx450) it's perfect for me. My dad just called and told me he wants a jeep to take to the desert (tow behind the motorhome). My first inclination would be to reccomend a '97-up wrangler....coil springs..avail. Dana 44.... If I were to be in the market for such a vehicle I would certainly get a 40...stronger drivetrain,thicker body steel... and it's a Toy and they've never let me down. So give me the crash course so I can determine if a 40 would be better for my dad as well.:beer:

2. 619TOY

619TOY

You guys are killin' me. Pipe up, I need a little immediate ammo when my dad calls back.

3. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    Unless your father wants to trailer a 40 the wrangler/yj/tj is the easy choice. 40s are not easy to flat tow safely unless you remove the driveshaft which I doubt your father will want to do.

4. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

If your dad is not a Cruiserhead, or doesn't like to spend his time tinkering with 35 year old trucks, his needs will be better served by a Jeep. Blasphemy I know, but unless he really wants to wrench on Land Cruisers a modern Jeep with fuel injection, coil springs and the like can be pretty nice. I assume he isn't building a full on rock crawler, but just wants something to sight see in around the desert. In fact a 2 year old Rubicon coming off a lease would be just about ideal. What is the budget, and how good of a mechanic is he? Can he fix his broken junk out in the boonies?

If cost is no object, then buying an already done FJ40 would be cool, but I still think a modern Jeep is a safer bet. If he buys an original 40 then he has to add power steering, rebuild all the systems, fix rust, etc, etc. How about a minitruck or a Samauri?

5. Nomis

Nomis

The Wrangler will probably have A/C (you did say desert didn't you) P/S and a better ride - plus it can be had for much less than a 40 in the same condition. Will it be as dependable as a 40 - stock for stock? Probably not. But parts should be easier to come by when crap falls apart on the Jeep. Most ppl these days don't buy 40's for practical reasons. That said, I wouldn't trade my 40 for any Jeep out there. Good luck with your decision.

6. 619TOY

619TOY

My dad's had hot rods for as long as I can remember so I'm sure he's intimately familiar with the shortcomings of older vehicles but who wants to be doing a trail fix at 63? oops that's him

7. brian

brian SILVER Star

yeap, in this case, get a cheep.

although i don't follow the "jeeps are easier to flat tow part"?

8. F-junker

F-junker

tell him to buy an FJ-crusier

9. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    I looked in my co-worker's owners manual and they should not be flat towed. If your FJ Cruiser breaks down its time to call the rollback or you have to tow dolley the front or rear wheels.

10. 619TOY

619TOY

Thanks for the help guys. I think it might have just been wishful thinking on my part to talk him into a Toyota. As I said before, I'd definately get a 40. But I now see that he'd be better off with a '97-up Jeep. "Landcruisers make jeep trails".

11. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
  12. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Not true by any means...

I would spend the same ~$15k it would take to get a good TJ on a 79-83 FJ40 and have a higher quality vehicle that has more character and is gaining value rather than losing it.

13. F-junker

F-junker

Yes, this is true. As far as the flat tow. 4 bolts and the rear driveshaft is unhooked. A rear end with lock outs such as those made by warn aren't really that reliable for heavy use but if he is not rockcrawling maybe they would be easier, I myself would just unbolt the driveshaft its not that hard and is alot cheaper, just a pain when it's raining and your getting in the mud.

Oh and I was joking about the FJ crusier, they are kind of neat but I would not buy one I don't think the looks have grown on me yet, coming from someone who like VW's and other british oddities; I'd say I don't think it ever will grow on me!

14. Jim S.

Jim S. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Why not a late model taco extended cab. Better than a jeep. Comfortable, dependable and lots of room for gear in the back. Even a pre-runner with a locker will take you lots of places. Just a thought.

15. my64fj40

my64fj40

This hasn't been moved yet?

I think the heep woudl be better for your dad though...

16. spctrbytz

spctrbytz

<borderline thread hijack>

Can somebody elaborate on not flat-towing an FJ40? I had planned on flat-towing my new rustbucket from time to time. Does it tear up the t-case or something? Mine is a 1974 3-speed floor shift.

Thanks

Tony

17. woooody

woooody el Jefe

If you have a problem with your xfer case pumping fluid into the tranny, it could be a problem.

Best bet is to pop 4 bolts, and not worry. Make sure you draw alignment marks on the driveshaft.

I have flat towed numerous times withteh driveshaft attached. Haven't had a problem, but that may because I was lucky

18. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I have been flat towing my 40 regularly for about 4 years now...

Have not once removed the driveshaft for thousands of miles of towing...

Just be sure the tcase is in neutral, with offset rear output tcases such as the FJ40 transfer case the rear output bearing is bathed in oil regardless.

Bungees etc around the steering wheel are not necessary and are dangerous.

If you have anything but stock front suspension you MUST be sure your caster is in order... Deflating the front tires helps somewhat if you have a lower amount of caster...

Buy some magnetic tow lights from northern tool, and rig a safety chain.

Don't tow with vehicle that is light in the rear (unloaded pickup) because the towed vehicle WILL push the rear end of the tow vehicle out around corners...

Be sure that the tow bar is angled down from the bumper of the 40 to the trailer ball or you will have VERY funky braking...

This is what I have learned from a LOT of flat towing... Do all these things and you will have no problems...

Good Luck

19. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

I'd agree with the late model Heep for your dad's purposes.

As to flat towing a 40, I've done it plenty and never had a lick of trouble. Now I've got a 16' trailer with heavy-duty winch for self recovery, so I don't need to flat two anymore.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">