Why are there turn buckles on motor mounts and where can I purchase new rubber mounts for motor mounts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to start to the replace rubber for motor mounts. Wondering why there are turn buckles attached to front and rear motor mounts.
I was going to replace with the new rubber motor mounts that I bought but the rubber is to thick. Any ideas where I can purchase the rubber motor mounts? The left rear rubber motor mount has the round rubber and underneath is a rectangle rubber with a notch in the pics. The right rubber motor mount is only round and no rectangle rubber. I have not remove the front rubber motor mounts yet but as far I can tell there are 2 rubbers on each front motor mount: 1 small below the right angle iron bracket and 1 larger above.
See pics.

Phil

EB0BD001-136C-4FAB-94D5-3FC0AE57B9F7.jpeg

1A54DD77-1455-4B9B-AB2B-102FB9FC2F98.jpeg

29B82F89-B198-4D1C-B5B9-41C9EC48D2BE.jpeg

37805A9C-482D-4EAC-A1CB-00A7AB75A480.jpeg

D44319EC-B220-4342-A0A5-24EBDCB79753.jpeg

That is some weird home brew PO stuff right there.
never seen that before
maybe the original install of welded mounts is off a bit and that is how they compensated for it??

Definitely home-brew Phil. A little surprised that I didn’t notice the turnbuckles when I peeked in there. Then again, I was on my way to a camping adventure. I can’t even remember if that was last year or earlier this year. Time flies.

My guess is that the mount was never adequate, and the turnbuckles were a pinch hit to stop something else from getting damaged when the engine torqued (like a fan blade hitting radiator/hose/ battery bracket yada yada.

Not uncommon. I remember trail clearancing an engine in a KOH 40 (that belonged to a very well known MUD member) with a block of wood, that otherwise had just enough wiggle to pinch and crack the tensioner on the serpentine belt of his engine. If you don’t want to end up being one of THOSE P.O.s, you’ll sort it out.

IIRC, this is the rig you want to keep?

Last edited:
Definitely home-brew Phil. A little surprised that I didn’t notice the turnbuckles when I peeked in there. Then again, I was on my way to a camping adventure. I can’t even remember if that was last year or earlier this year. Time flies.

My guess is that the mount was never adequate, and the turnbuckles were a pinch hit to stop something else from getting damaged when the engine torqued (like a fan blade hitting radiator/hose/ battery bracket yada yada.

Not uncommon. I remember trail clearancing an engine in a KOH 40 that belonged to a very well known MUD member with a block of wood, that otherwise had just enough wiggle to pinch and crack the tensioner on the serpentine belt. If you don’t want to end up being one of THOSE P.O.s, you’ll sort it out.

IIRC, this is the rig you want to keep?

My guess is whoever did it was afraid that when rough 4wheeled the engine/trans would want to move forward or back and the turnbuckles were supposed to stop that from happening.

After putting a 350 SBC in my 40 I actually ran a chain between the water pump and driver's side frame rail. The motor would torque and my fan would tickle the fan shroud. I couldn't see it at the time but the old circular front mount had come apart and it was why the motor could torque over that far.

Last edited:
My guess is whoever did it was afraid that when rough 4wheeled the engine/trans would want to move forward or back and the turnbuckles were supposed to stop that from happening.
Seen plenty of instances of that too. Shifter clearances so tight that dynamic forces would get one or both floorshift levers bound against the trans tunnel and pop a gearbox into neutral! Depending on where you might be on the side of a mountain at the time, that could get really exciting!😱

Hey Mark,

Yes this is the FJ40 I am going to keep. The rubber for motor mounts are odd. Is it better to order new motor mounts from advance adapters? I will give you a call this week.

After putting a 350 SBC in my 40 I actually ran a chain between the water pump and driver's side frame rail. The motor would torque and my fan would tickle the fan shroud. I couldn't see it at the time but the old circular front mount had come apart and it was why the motor could torque over that far.
Thanks for your input. Just plain weird.

Hey Mark,

Yes this is the FJ40 I am going to keep. The rubber for motor mounts are odd. Is it better to order new motor mounts from advance adapters? I will give you a call this week.
Yes, I think you should replace the mounts. Just be aware that it could snowball. It is often not possible to install new motor mounts with the engine in the EXACT same position. And if the engine moves, the exhaust has to be able to follow, the driveshafts may change. Other clearances too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom