Why 70s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73/74 series are mid-wheelbase removable FRP top, or soft top.

BJ73 - 3B diesel
BJ73 - Spain only VM-motorri 2.5 turbo diesel junk
BJ74 - 13BT turbo diesel RHD only (except for under 10 for Paris Dakar allegedly)
HZJ73 - 1HZ 6 cylinder turbo diesel
HZJ74 - 1HZ 6 cylinder, coil spring front

FJ73 - 3F 6cylinder gas
FZJ73 - 1FZ 6 cylinder gas
FZ73-FE - 1FZ fuel inject 6 cylinder gas
FJZ74-FJ 1FZ fuel injected 6 cylinder gas, coil spring front end

EDIT: thanks @FJ73Texas these are the Prado models, EDIT AGAIN added RJ73
LJ73 - 2LT/2LTE 3 cylinder turbo diesel
KZJ-73 - 1KZ - 4 cylinder turbo diesel
PZJ-73 - 5 cylinder diesel
RJ-73 - 22R 4 cylinder gas

So yes, the later 74 series has the coil spring front end in the mid wheelbase. Best model if you can get it, not importable to the US yet.
Think the 2LT is a 4 not a 3 Toyota 2L-T (2.4 L) turbo diesel engine: specs and review, service data - https://www.engine-specs.net/toyota/2l-t.html

I've had the following

3 80 series
1 FJ60
1 FJ62
1 FJ40
1 BJ73

The 1HDT powered 80 is by far the best. Loads of power, capable, quiet and does great on fuel. The 3FE powered 62 and 80 just aren't much fun to me. Way to slow to be enjoyable. I put a turbo on the BJ73, still pretty slow but its really fun to drive. The biggest downside is everyone commenting on it when I drive places.

The 1HDT powered 80 is by far the best.
This. Without question.

OTOH, of the 70-series, the Troopy is unique because it's effectively a van. No other car that I'm aware of has it's combination of capability, durability, and all that space in the back while still having a (relatively) small footprint on the trail. The sheer utility of the interior volume is the one thing I really miss about my Troopy.

This. Without question.

OTOH, of the 70-series, the Troopy is unique because it's effectively a van. No other car that I'm aware of has it's combination of capability, durability, and all that space in the back while still having a (relatively) small footprint on the trail. The sheer utility of the interior volume is the one thing I really miss about my Troopy.

A Quigley E-Series is probably the closest thing, stateside.

This. Without question.

Hard to find people that have tested both, but a FZJ80 should have more power and have more "peps" at any RPM than a HDJ80, with the same transmission.
I think all the American FZJ80 had an automatic while the European or Japanese HDJ80 imported in the US could have either a manual or automatic.

For the Troopy, the Defender 110 3-doors (or even the 5-doors if you use the extra doors as gear access) was similar in its "van" capability. A little less headroom but vertical sides easier to setup compared to the 75/78.

Last edited:
Hard to find people that have tested both, but a FZJ80 should have more power and have more "peps" at any RPM than a HDJ80, with the same transmission.
I think all the American FZJ80 had an automatic while the European or Japanese HDJ80 imported in the US could have either a manual or automatic.

For the Troopy, the Defender 110 3-doors (or even the 5-doors if you use the extra doors as gear access) was similar in its "van" capability. A little less headroom but vertical sides easier to setup compared to the 75/78.
The FZJ80 I had was a automatic while the HDJ81 is a manual. I'm sure that's a power drain but still the HDJ81 just seems like 2x the vehicle power wise.

All those espousing the love of 80 series please tell me where you can buy trim pieces new like sun visors etc. Oh that's right they are DISCONTINUED for a 25 year old vehicle.

While the 74 (73) is discontinued and the roll bar interior trim pieces are obsolete every other piece should be able to be found. Hell even the soft top was upgraded to 60160 and can readily be found.

Fact is, 7x series still made today.

All those espousing the love of 80 series please tell me where you can buy trim pieces new like sun visors etc. Oh that's right they are DISCONTINUED for a 25 year old vehicle.

While the 74 (73) is discontinued and the roll bar interior trim pieces are obsolete every other piece should be able to be found. Hell even the soft top was upgraded to 60160 and can readily be found.

You would be surprised (or perhaps not so surprised) how many interior and exterior pieces I can adapt from a GRJ76 or VDJ76 to my HZJ77. I love that.

When something shows up obsolete for my HZJ77, I can usually jump over to parts searching within VDJ76 or GRJ76 diagrams and get the same thing or almost the same thing. Just a bit of extra work.

Last edited:
You would be surprised (or perhaps not so surprised) how many interior and exterior pieces I can adapt from a GRJ76 or VDJ76 to my HZJ77. I love that.

When something shows up obsolete for my HZJ77, I can usually jump over to parts searching within VDJ76 or GRJ76 diagrams and get the same thing or almost the same thing. Just a bit of extra work.
Aren’t they all the same from the firewall back? 😊

Aren’t they all the same from the firewall back? 😊

Don't Forget the dash and electrical. Too bad the my HZJ77 is 24V because it could open up a lot more parts options If it was 12V.

Don't Forget the dash and electrical. Too bad the my HZJ77 is 24V because it could open up a lot more parts options If it was 12V.
Sorta overlooked that tidbit. 😊

Hi @rick_d
I am day dreaming of a soft top for my HZJ73.
Thinking it would be a breeze, I have started copying part numbers from the parts catalog.......
I am down to 48 part numbers with very few obsolete, but for sure missed some.
My questions, what does the 601060 prefix referring to (model wise) so I can maybe look up some missing parts.
Also, would you think this will interest someone?
If so, I can upload the parts list for more experienced guys to comment on.
Since this is not a ready to order kit, and took me about 3 hours to find most of the stuff, maybe this could be handy to someone else.

I keep forgetting to look at the newer rigs. Nice to remember they still fit.

Hi @rick_d
I am day dreaming of a soft top for my HZJ73.
Thinking it would be a breeze, I have started copying part numbers from the parts catalog.......
I am down to 48 part numbers with very few obsolete, but for sure missed some.
My questions, what does the 601060 prefix referring to (model wise) so I can maybe look up some missing parts.
Also, would you think this will interest someone?
If so, I can upload the parts list for more experienced guys to comment on.
Since this is not a ready to order kit, and took me about 3 hours to find most of the stuff, maybe this could be handy to someone else.
@bottombracket just did converted from frp to OEM soft top in his thread.

1989 HDJ74 FRP to FST conversion - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1989-hdj74-frp-to-fst-conversion.1274273/

Not sure he has a straight list of all parts needed in one list, but I could be wrong. Super helpful thread.

@FJBen I tried to be as comprehensive as possible in the build thread. It’s more than 48 parts.

@Omrib message me if you have any questions. I LOVE the soft top.

7DBEABA8-AA71-4AD2-B59B-4B92CE28CC73.jpeg

Talk to Dave Stedman or @bottombracket if you want to start on a OEM soft top conversion. It is not for the faint of heart. Lots of small parts and details.

I owned a OEM soft top FJ73 from Colombia and wish I had it back often. :(

Edit: I see that @FJBen already suggested talking to bottombracket and that he responded. My bad.

Last edited:
Talk to Dave Stedman or @bottombracket if you want to start on a OEM soft top conversion. It is not for the faint of heart. Lots of small parts and details.

I owned a OEM soft top FJ73 from Colombia and wish I had it back often. :(

Edit: I see that @FJBen already suggested talking to bottombracket and that he responded. My bad.
Nobody's bad:clap:, you are all too fast with the detailed info....
Very good feedback all.
I will go through bottombracket's thread.
@bottombracket , would you think it is appropriate and/or usefull if I PM'ed you to refine the list so to publish it in your thread or another for future efforts by others?
Cheers
Omri

In my thread I have it broken down into sections, listing every part number, quantity, and representative pictures. If you think it can be clarified, feel free to post up. It's a big project with lots of little parts to obtain. I am STILL not done, but it has been drivable for 5 months.

In my thread I have it broken down into sections, listing every part number, quantity, and representative pictures. If you think it can be clarified, feel free to post up. It's a big project with lots of little parts to obtain. I am STILL not done, but it has been drivable for 5 months.
It looks absolutely great.
I am not sure I am ready for that kind of a job. I might first do the windscreen and try to collect all the parts during next winter.
Just thought of concentrating it in an Excell sheet to make it easier on Dave @Japan4X4
I will compare to your thread and see what I am missing.
If I get everything honed I will post.
Thanks for the detailed thread and excellent pictures.
Omri

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom