Why 70s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a FJ73, now BJ74, at the time I was shopping it against Nissan Patrol SWB, came down to the Toyota was what I could afford, 80's were to expensive, 60s to big.

Now ~15 years later I still have the BJ74, lives in the shed mostly, only doing a few hundred kms a year, but also have a HDJ100 doing daily family duties.

Boise, my hometown. ;)

I think one of my future Cruisers will be a FZJ73. They got them until the end of production in Colombia in LHD.

Cheers

Don’t forget the BJ-71😉 13BT and cable lockers front and rear. Don’t know if the cable lockers were standard or optional. Seems like Italy
BJ71 were available in Italy with cable lockers, but not all BJ71 sold in Italy had them—ie they were optional. BJ71 were also sold in France (4x4 of the year, 1987!), but I haven’t seen any with cable lockers there.

BJ71 were available in Italy with cable lockers, but not all BJ71 sold in Italy had them—ie they were optional. BJ71 were also sold in France (4x4 of the year, 1987!), but I haven’t seen any with cable lockers there.
What are cable lockers?

What are cable lockers?
Not sure where to start. "lockers" refers to locking axles. They can be front and/or rear axles. There are many different types but "cable lockers" refers to locking axles that are actuated by a manual cable typically connected inside the cab to a lever.

Not sure where to start. "lockers" refers to locking axles. They can be front and/or rear axles. There are many different types but "cable lockers" refers to locking axles that are actuated by a manual cable typically connected inside the cab to a lever.
Ok got it. Thanks

What about one of these? KZJ73 for 13.5k?

I think one of my future Cruisers will be a FZJ73. They got them until the end of production in Colombia in LHD.

Cheers

BEEA0B4A-4A61-4600-AA84-502702FFB62B.jpeg

Would be nice to grab one of those. Any reason to grab a FZJ73 vs FJZ74 and get the coils?

All 1999+ are front coils, so if that is a 74, then thats a 74. They may even been coil pack 1fzfe at the end of production which was 04 or 06. I am not a 70-series expert. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I like them though, 1fzfe with an h15x would be fun and cool.

Cheers

All 1999+ are front coils, so if that is a 74, then thats a 74. They may even been coil pack 1fzfe at the end of production which was 04 or 06. I am not a 70-series expert. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I like them though, 1fzfe with an h15x would be fun and cool.

Cheers

Yeah I just wasn't sure if they ran the 73 and 74 at the same time like they did with the BJ73/BJ74. So if all after 99 are coils, then it probably is FZJ74. I thought I read somewhere 2002 was the last year of the 74, but I could be wrong. I bet than thing would rip with a 5 speed 1FZ-FE.
What about one of these? KZJ73 for 13.5k?

View attachment 3059782

That would be a nice little rig. I know @joekatana seems to like the KZJ73's. Coil springs and the 1KZ is a good engine. If it's in as good of shape as it looks, that would be a decent price. Can you ship back on Uncle Sam's dime or is that on your own?

Yes Uncle Sam would pay, I’d get taxed on the cost so not too bad of a deal. Do you think that’s a better model than the original posted?

That would be a nice little rig. I know @joekatana seems to like the KZJ73's. Coil springs and the 1KZ is a good engine. If it's in as good of shape as it looks, that would be a decent price. Can you ship back on Uncle Sam's dime or is that on your own?

Yes Uncle Sam would pay, I’d get taxed on the cost so not too bad of a deal. Do you think that’s a better model than the original posted?
Better than what, a Troopy? Depends on what you're looking for. I'd prefer the SWB.

All good points above, I love the looks and notoriety, 60 and 80 series are awesome trucks but it is fun to own something more unique or rare for the US. I went for a KZJ78 mainly for the turbo diesel and solid axles with coil suspension. The other main reason for me was the cost of a decent 60/80/100 with 200k miles on it was still more than the 70 with 1/2 as many miles on it so I feel like I'll get more life out of it before rebuilding everything. The utility of it, fuel economy, the aftermarket accessory options and most parts availability for it is actually pretty good being that the 70 series is still in production. I like the narrow size of it, gutter mounts on the roof, it truly is an SUV. I also find the 1KZ engine to be quite a bit peppier than any other series land cruiser i've ever driven, with the exception of the 200 so that's also a plus.
This was my reasoning essentially as well. after my wreck in my fj80 I was looking at just getting another one or an fj60 but Like @FJ40 that green thing said fj80 and fzj80s with high miles at the time were going for the same price as an under 150,000 mile diesel 70 series. Coming from a fj80 with the 3fe I can say the kzj78 with the 1kzte is way more peppy, way more unique and interesting, and just as tough. (as long as you don't overheat it). Additionally if you know how to working on the fj40, fj60, fj80 land cruisers, the 70 series will feel right at home. The 70 series In my opinion should have been sold here in the United States along side the 62 series. I think they probably would have canibalizd sales from other Toyota vehicles at that time though. I don't think the 70 series is better than my old fj80 but I think equals it.

Depends what you need it for. The Troopy is a bad-ass offroad camper & travel machine, or a tool for hauling lots of people/stuff, HZ motor is very reliable but not exactly a powerhouse given the size of the truck, (turbo kits are popular). Troopy will hold it's value well too. The KZJ73 would be a great all rounder with the coil suspension working better both on & off road. The KZJ has lighter duty axles but still plenty tough for normal use. KZ motor will need a rebuild long before the HZ but they're not bad, can make ok power with a few tweaks.

Cheers
Clint

For me, I prefer the 73/74 and the 70 series Troop Carrier... not much like them in the US (except for an LJ Jeep). The available engines (25yr +) and suspension are not the most desirable but those can be changed.

If you are in germany get a 1999+ 74 series screw the older stuff
70 series were only sold in Europe up to 2001 and by 1999 they were already a vehicle on order not widely sold and presented on showrooms. Most of them were LWB troopy or pickup for companies with special needs.

I haven’t seen a single 74 over here.
So, Yes HZJ74 exist in Europe but are very rare and expensive. HZJ73 are a lot more easy to find but quite looked after also. BJ73 are easy to pick for cheap but slow.
I think I saw more BJ74 for sale than HZJ74 those last 5 years.

BJ71 are not too hard to find in France or Italy as mentioned by others but it's a SWB.

Default options were different in each country so quite a lot of possible configurations now that the vehicles moved around.

Are 73 and 74s the same but different year or motor? They have 73s over here but not 74s. Lots and lots of shorter ones. For example a 73 (w the removable top) in average shape for 8,500 euro.
HZJ74's are pretty much unicorns . I have been looking for a good hzj74 for myself now for a few years and just checked 2 out in Europe , both where plus 20k and one was very high mileage but clean (500K km) and the other was low mileage but pretty much trashed out and a lot of poorly executed mods. Anything decent HZJ7x these days in Europe will be around that price , any hzj7x around the 10-15k mark usually need a lot of work , Toyota 70 series sales declined rapidly in Europe starting around 1994 so the later model years where sold in smaller numbers and many where exported about 5 years ago when the emmision laws came in to effect and banned them out of the city centers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom