Who’s working on their cruiser during this virus? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I’m redoing the knuckles and steering gear box on the fj62 and and new suspension in the other 62. One of the 40s is getting a new suspension and power steering. I’m worn out. Mike

Working through getting the 3B overhauled for the BJ70. She is finally back in the truck and I hope to be back on it this weekend, so it can stop being a project and start being my daily Cruiser again.
IMG_20200418_155754324.jpg

Hope springs eternal?
Kudos on all your projects Mike. All those lift kits sounds like a lot of hard manual labor.

Manwell laborer is my name right now ! The concrete is not as soft as it used to be. With so little response from others I thought mine were the only cruisers needing work. When I got into the knuckles one pinion bearing was really bad. Then I noticed all the mud covering other parts. I’ve gone crazy and scrapped and repainted a lot of parts makes me not want to get it dirty again... well at least for a week or so.

I never have figured out how to post pictures on this site. Mike

Finally doing a laundry list of stuff:
- pulled the diffs to drop off at the shop for 4.88's
- new brake calipers and wheel cylinders all the way around
- new tie rod, drag link and tie rod ends
- pulled the transfer case for rebuild
- rebuild front axle

Tom, Sounds like we are doing similar repairs. I made the mistake of watching tooooo many front axle rebuilds. Way to many thoughts on this. How are you going to set the trunnion bearings? Fish scale, Toyota tool, or by feel ? Mike

Three of my trunnion bearings had 2 shims, one lower had 5. I have not figured that one out yet. First time trunnions have been off since it left the factory. Mike

Has anyone had a shop in DFW do a 1FZ rebuild for them? Trying to get this done now but I only know of 1 shop that has done them before and their waitlist is months away. Thx!

Hi, Jessie behind Toyota of Dallas can do it. 9724840079. Mike

The virus actually worked out for me since my 100 is my daily driver and definitely needs some work, but I won't need to drive for a while now. I'm working on diagnosing some things (the main one being the ABS, yikes!), and then it will be sitting in my MIL's driveway for a bit while I attempt to work on it. I have done some basic things on it myself like the heater T's and hoses, differential oil changes, etc. so I will really be cutting my teeth on the new stuff here. Pretty new to working on cars in general.

By the way, I see you are in Plano also, hope you are doing well! There are a few cruisers around my neighborhood, I wonder if I've driven by yours before. :cheers:

Hi, Great your learning. If you pass my street we usually have at least 4 cruisers in front of the house. If you need help let me know. Mike

Hi, Great your learning. If you pass my street we usually have at least 4 cruisers in front of the house. If you need help let me know. Mike

Thanks, Michael. There are usually several cruisers parked out front, so it's either you or another cruiser-head haha. I've actually got several issues I'm trying to work through at the moment.

This weekend, if everything goes according to plan, I'll have a buddy coming to help me replace my valve cover gaskets/pcv valve/spark plug tube seals, and if we are lucky, finishing figuring out what is lighting up my ABS, VSC, and VSC OFF lights on my dash.

So far, I ordered a VCI cable and ran techstream, which gave me this:
codes_100.PNG

I've got the battery hooked up to a charger right now since the truck has been pretty much sitting since the virus first kicked up, and I'm hoping with a full battery, some codes will fall off that list, but that may be wishful thinking. If that is not the issue, I'm not sure if there is anything else to try before replacing the ABS assembly, since that seems to be where a lot of posts point to. I also ordered a couple cheap wheel speed sensors off Amazon because, why not. Fingers crossed, I guess 🤷‍♂️.

Hi, The non OEM parts Don’t always work very well. Look for rub marks on the wires Which may lead to shorts. Mike

Hi, The non OEM parts Don’t always work very well. Look for rub marks on the wires Which may lead to shorts. Mike

Hi, thanks. I would usually try to go OEM, but money is short these days, so a quick fix is alright just for the moment.

I traced the wire for the Front LH Speed Sensor, and turns out it was not looking so hot:

image1.jpg

I replaced that with one of the $30 or so dollar ones from Amazon, and my dash lights cleared as soon as I turned the ignition. Brakes felt just fine, and in fact more responsive than before I replaced the sensor.

Tom, Sounds like we are doing similar repairs. I made the mistake of watching tooooo many front axle rebuilds. Way to many thoughts on this. How are you going to set the trunnion bearings? Fish scale, Toyota tool, or by feel ? Mike

Mike - Sorry about the delay, I just checked in and saw your question. I used to use a push/pull scale that the club had a long time ago, but now I set mine up by feel. I don't have the SST, so I have always set it back up with the same shims that were in there.

Hi, Same for me ,same shims and torqued to Toyota spec. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom