Who's that knocking at my door? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, 2F engine with 177k on it, starting to get a tapping that sounds like it's from the bottom end (not the valves). It doesn't seem to be noticeable when the truck is first started, but after it warms up a bit it's definitely audible. It's in synch with RPMs of the engine, just a modest tapping. This is a NEW NOISE that showed up a little while ago and has become louder. :frown:

Nothing wrong with performance, not overheating, gas mileage has not changed noticeably, just changed the oil and there's no metal that I can see.

Sooooooo, whaddya think it is? :confused: Looking to get it checked out *professionally* soon, but I want to be prepared. :rolleyes:

All the time, or just under load? Pinging? (Mine sounded like marbles rattling down around my feet, worst under load, didn't happen idling).
Know anyone w/ a timing light?

All the time, independent of load.

Hmm, exhaust leak, yeah, that would be nice. Hope that's all it is. Is a mech's stethoscope any different than a doctor's? 'Cause I gots one of those . . . . .

switch to thicker oil, 20w50. If it is the bearings, there is nothing you can do about it. How is the oil pressure? Low?

Yeah, oil pressure, how's that? The cam that drives the oil pump has been shown to wear loose on some rigs. But more likey coudl be the beginning of the oil pump going bad. That would be good news cuz the pump and gasket are only about 70$.

Jman said:
All the time, independent of load.

Hmm, exhaust leak, yeah, that would be nice. Hope that's all it is. Is a mech's stethoscope any different than a doctor's? 'Cause I gots one of those . . . . .

It's actually a little different. Mine (if I could find the friggin' thing) runs to a metal rod that takes and extension (another solid metal rod) so you can really poke around. The metal carries the vibrations and you can hear just fine with it...I'd think the Rx version might be too sensitive and blow out your ear drums. Pure speculation there though...

my mechanics' stethescope is just a bit of rubber tube (stiff pref) which he sticks in one ear and pokes around engine to hear where something is making noise. usually for exhaust leaks. works surprisingly well.

cheap + easy.

i'd be afraid of blowing an eardrum w/ actual docs...

The tube won't pick up internal noises transmitted through the engine, but the "real" mechanic's stethoscope with the rod will. Mine does.

Use a tube to find exhaust leaks or any external noises and the rod for listening to internal noises.

My steth, like probably most of them, uses a rod at the probe end and a tube at the ear. When hunting down exhaust leaks, i put tubing on to the end of one of the ear hoses and tape it to the rod. That way I only need to use one hand.

Check the egr gasket and around the manifold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom