Who's running elockers, had any problems? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been running one in the front of a mini axle, with 5.29's, RCV shafts, 37" pitbulls for about 4 years with no problems. I have 4 more, 2 4.30's and 2 4.11's and an elocker rear housing. I'm thinking about swapping in the 4.11's front and rear. Everyone keeps telling me they're junk but i haven't had any problems and no one can really tell me why they're junk. My truck gets abused.

I've been running one in the front of a mini axle, with 5.29's, RCV shafts, 37" pitbulls for about 4 years with no problems. I have 4 more, 2 4.30's and 2 4.11's and an elocker rear housing. I'm thinking about swapping in the 4.11's front and rear. Everyone keeps telling me they're junk but i haven't had any problems and no one can really tell me why they're junk. My truck gets abused.

Are you thinking about running the 4.11's with the 37s??

Are you thinking about running the 4.11's with the 37s??
yep, i have dual cases, also going with 4.7 gears. So the diff ratio doesn't matter and the higher ratio, the stronger

If you have a locker that's older than 07-08.
When the 05+ taco/4r/fjc came out there were tons of blown diffs on stock rigs.
I believe it was because of improperly setup BL or CBPL.

FWIW, I have a rear elocker set up with 4.88’s, has maybe 60000 miles on it since being set up and I think it had about 150000 originally. Truck is my daily, seen A LOT of highway and some towing, mild wheeling with 33’s. Never had a problem... knock on wood.

Yeah i always set mine up. I'm thinking about reusing the carrier bearings and setting the CBPL low, you think that would be fine in a truck that doesn't get many miles on it?

I figured out how to use the factory ECU and switch with an LED light that blinks when locking and goes solid when locked. If anyone needs a wiring diagram i can post a link to it.

The CBPL needs to be over 100ft lbs.

The locking side of the diff has a ton of flex that needs to be taken out by the preload.

I ran one in the back of my 85 xcab. Never a problem.

I have one in the front of my FJ40. Again, never a problem.

While we're here what are people using to rurn the large carrier bearing wheel in these?
Ive been using an adjustable spanner tool but its really a PITA. you can't use a typical Toyota bearing tool..... So?

While we're here what are people using to rurn the large carrier bearing wheel in these?
Ive been using an adjustable spanner tool but its really a PITA. you can't use a typical Toyota bearing tool..... So?
I took a piece of flat bar, drilled holes the correct distance, cut off some bolts, rounded the ends, put through holes, welded on back side

The CBPL needs to be over 100ft lbs.

The locking side of the diff has a ton of flex that needs to be taken out by the preload.
Do you mean 100 ftlbs on the adjusting nut? I always measure rotating cbpl at pinion in inlbs

Yes. I run 100ft lb on the torgue wrench.
Ha ha, makes a lot more sense, 100 ftlbs of cbpl would detonate the bearings before they made it in the housing

This thread makes me think we should hang out. I’m dying for someone to show me how to setup gears.

This thread makes me think we should hang out. I’m dying for someone to show me how to setup gears.
I can show you sometime, I live close to new market. Once you understand what all is going on in a diff, then its just time to check, re check and check again. A couple specialty tools are needed. Use the FSM as a guide, google and its pretty easy, just takes time.

Last edited:
Saw one of these explode while we were out in the tule's. Extraction involved removing the RG on a steep snow/slush covered hill, limping out backwards down said hill, and then a 500 mile ride on a Uhaul trailer followed by an 875 mile bonzai run for the tow truck to get home in time for work. Word came back from the owner that he was told by the dealer (who fixed it under warranty for free) that it was a known issue, that the heat-treat of the gears was not done right & made them brittle.

Carvers Jct, NV roadside rest:
i-dFZXmjT-M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom