Who's Replaced Their Power Steering Pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My PS pump has been a little noisier than my other 4.7 pumps were since I bought this vehicle, but within the last 6 months the whine has increased a little every month or so. It is still not noisy enough to be heard with the windows up, but I am sure that if the weather was colder it would be. I used my mechanic stethoscope to pinpoint that its definitely the PS pump.

Rack was replaced with OEM at 160k. 15k after that steering rack replacement the pump started making a little bit more noise. Fluid was serviceable, but I did pulled the reservoir and made sure it was clean (it was), and exchanged all of the fluid. Pump didn't get any quieter. I did another exchange on it recently (185k) prior to a short trip to the San Juan's and fluid was serviceable and did not need to be changed.

Pump still making noise. Zero leaks. No modifiers in the fluid. I did try a tablespoon of downy prior to the most recent fluid exchange but didn't notice any change in noise.

We knocked out about 100 miles of trail, with the pump getting angry on one short section of trail while at full lock for over 3 minutes. After a few minutes idling to cool back down it was fine.

I've known the pump needs to be replaced for awhile but wanted to get a bit more info from folks on here:

1. Who's needed to replace a pump? This seems like a component that has a long service life if fluid is exchanged and the rack replacement is tackled as soon as it starts leaking. P.O.'s maintenance records show a rack leak was found at 130k. He elected for a fluid modifier to be added vs. the rack replacement at that time. 30k later the rack needed to be replaced - I'm sure it was run low occasionally before fluid was added.

2. OEM pump prices are now at $270+ shipping. If there is a good alternative I'd love to hear about it.

3. Other items to tackle with this pump out - alternator brushes seem to be the only one that comes to mind. I am at 186k now, on track to be doing my TB/WP etc. at 212k and would prefer to mess around with the alt. at that point.

PS pump rebuild kit is $30. Comes with new bearing, seals, and gasket. Toyota #04446-06040 (for 98-02)

PS pump rebuild kit is $30. Comes with new bearing, seals, and gasket. Toyota #04446-06040 (for 98-02)

I have no leaking from the power steering pump, just noise. I did go to my local dealer and look at the #04446-06040 - while the front shaft seal looks like a bearing it's just an oil seal.

Unfortunately, even after pricing out the rebuild components at home (the dealer was significantly more) it just doesn't make sense to rebuild it due to noise.

1. If I have a worn vane rotor it's $138
2. If I need to replace vanes, they are $7 a piece (x10)
3. Flow control valve and spring $140
4. If vanes have scored the cam, its $85 and so on.
5. All plus the seal kit and several hours of time.

Further, the issue I'm seeing in the FSM is there are a lot of opportunities for tolerances to be out (10 vane plates with Toyota making 5 different sizes to match tolerances). If I had this one on a bench and my vehicle wouldn't be down while I pull, inspect, and order parts, no big deal and I might go for it.

I completely agree it makes sense to rebuild if leaking, but when groaning I think its time to do the pump.

Definitely going to end up going with an assembly, but will pull this one apart to see where the noise is coming from as I'm generally a curious person.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom