Who's renewing, who's not... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
Just curious....some on this Forum are aware of the issues before TLCA, now and in the past....just a general feel for those who are current members if you are going to re-up the next time around.

TLCA #1548 - likely not

TLCA #10759

Nope :D

well i WAS going to join...guess not.

I just rejoined and am glad that I did. Yes, I'm a newbie to this, as you can tell by my number. We don't have a local chapter in our area, so I'm not really aware of some of the problems that you're discussing. The Trails makes it worth my money.

Four of us went to GSMTR this last year and had a great time. Unfortunately, we had to leave on Friday night, so didn't get to attend the big dinner, but I'd do the whole thing again in a heartbeat. But we made some new friends, saw a bunch of cool Cruisers, and enjoyed some great wheeling. Without the TLCA, could that ever have happened? I doubt it.

The statement that I read about 5% of the people doing 95% of the work is true, not just in the TLCA, but in almost every volunteer organization. When the 5% get burnt out, there's a time of struggling until someone else decides to step up. When someone does step up, changes inevitably occur and toes get stepped on. I've been in both categories and have left some clubs due to politics over petty issues because the negatives of belonging outweighed the positives. I don't feel that way about the TLCA and, if I'm ever able to retire, I'd be willing to be one of the 5% in the club.

Maybe in 10 years, I'll feel the way you do. I hope not.

Thom Placier
TLCA 12208

Yup, just renewed.
Not in it for the land issues or the trail rides!
(In other Orgs. for that)
Just want the "TRAILS"

given the pleasant atmosphere of the BodReps list over the past month or so, my mind may change....also, some of the individuals running for BOD positions seem to be pushing for issues I consider important, like a decent TLCA.org site.

I'll renew. For me the Trails is worth the price and a local dealer who has an ad in the Trails has given me some really good prices because I am a member. A couple of times it has covered the cost of membership. I used to buy other 4x4 mags, but they just don"t cover what I am interested in, Cruisers. (Any model BUT I REALLY REALLY WHAT A 45!!!!)

Absolutely I will (did) renew!

The TLCA has done a considerable amount for me as a cruiser owner since I first got involved with it in 1991.  When I fist started I could not offer much to the org, (Heck I was struggling keeping my rig running and go to school).  A few years later (ok quite a few!)I am starting my second term on the Board of Directors for my local TLCA chapter.  I have seen what changes are happening, first hand.   This next year is going to be a great year for the organization.  The Trails will continue as a great resource for all of us, and under a new Editor we will all see some great additions to the magazine.   Starting in January we have a new membership coordinator position that will be streamlining all of our membership needs.  This is just the beginning.

If you have suggestions on ways to improve the TLCA or wish to get involved first hand, contact your local rep. (nearest TLCA chapter) or your regional rep. (listed on the www.tlca.org web site).  You are always welcome to contact me as well.  

Mark Hawley
Cascade Cruisers, Inc.
Portland OR
markha@safeco.com

I renewed to the TLCA. I find the Trails a great magazine. What other vehicle has an organization like ours? The Trails adds value to the cruiser community. I also enjoyed the job the Colorado crowd and the TLCA did at Cruise Moab 2002.
Hoping membership begins a new trend - up and to the right.

I did and will continue to renew. Too many good things to count.

Jack
'93 FZJ

I'm sending my renewal in tomorrow... Without TLCA I would have not have met all the fine folks in the Land Cruiser world that I have...

-Dave

I'm renewing (#11511), mostly because of TT and the politics of our small time volunteer org. are not unusual or exceptional in any way. For that matter, churchgoers among us are used to this sort and worse. I wish our officers were perfect, or desired perfect ethical consistency in the discharge of their duties but it doesn't seem likely that that will happen. Optimist that I am, I also wish them luck and invite you all to support them.
Cheers,
Ben Paz
'73 FJ40
'86 FJ60
'91 FJ80

I am doing more than just renewing...

I am renewing my attitude.
I am renewing my optimisum.
I am renewing my approach.
I am renewing my friendship.
I am renewing my goals....

but more importantly, I plan to renew TLCA!

How?

By getting involved. By listening. By forming a team atmosphere, one of fun, friendship and focused direction.

If you're on the fense, give us one more shot... give us 12 months by renewing your membership and see if 'We' can make a difference.

Soon, other organizations and associations will look to us as a benchmark for success. (that is part of my renewed optimisum.)

Membership, up and to the right... I like that!

Ok, I just found this forum and was compelled to participate. I'm glad this forum is in place to allow for some additional communication.

First off, I for one will be renewing my membership this week. I plan to continue doing so for years to come.

Lots of talk has already happened about past problems within the TLCA and having served as a TLCA delegate for 2 of the last 3 years and participating occasionally in TLCA BOD meetings as our chapter President, I can attest to the garbage that has happened mainly over the past year. But I am SERIOUSLY excited about the new officers that have been recently elected. For those of you that don't know Tony, or are questioning whether or not to renew membership or join TLCA for the first time, I personally urge you to stick with it! Join the TLCA or renew!!! NOW!!! Under this new leadership I am confident that changes will be made for the better and it will once again be something we are all glad to be a part of.

That being said, I want to echo some comments that have already been made by others. I have been part of the leadership of our local chapter since its inception in 1999 and I'm beginning my second year as President. Over the 4 years that our club has been part of TLCA I have felt VERY detached. It has lead me to argue in my own mind why we bother with being a chapter of the TLCA. On an individual level Toyota Trails is a huge draw. On the chapter level I have never felt that the TLCA did much for us. I still feel that way. BUT, I am expecting that to change based on the goals set by the new officers, and the attitude they are bringing into office with them. Up till now I think the chapters really have been keeping the TLCA afloat, but I think it needs to be the other way around.

If you aren't a member of a local chapter, look them up and get involved. Our club has tried very hard to contact cruiser owners in our area and it's been successful for us and we have what I think to be a stellar chapter of the TLCA with lots of participation. But it requires people to get invovled. There will always be lazy members that don't do anything and rarely show up to trail rides or meetings. It will always be a small percentage of people doing most of the work. That small percentage can grow if you just participate. Speaking from experience, it can be very rewarding even if you are one of the few. I know it has made for lots of good times and good memories for me and my family.

Congrats to you Tony and the rest of the new officers!!! I for one am behind you all the way.

I am and, please, let me tell you why. I work in law enforcement for one of the most highly criticized agencies in the federal government. I work with a bunch of great folks and we, as a whole, work for a small number of highly paid bafoons.

I enjoy my job and my co-workers. I believe my agency has the potential to be one of the most effective in the federal government. I hope to, oneday, have a hand in making that the case. I won't quit now just because of the bafoons who are in charge. I continue to work hard and to ignore the politics knowing, that one day, I will have the authority to make a difference.

Maybe all of the folks giving up on TLCA would be better advised to try and make a difference. From what I can tell, there is new leadership in TLCA with seemingly honest and straight-forward goals. This isn't the time to jump ship, let's wait and see how the new president does. If, in two years, all of the disgruntled still feel this way, then walk away. I for one, will not give up my membership untill I have given up my Toyota's. I hope, eventually, to become more involved... first in LSLC and then in the TLCA. All of the back and forth in this forum has lead me to believe that the TLCA is on the right track and I, for one, would like to see it make it's come-back.

Where else will we be able to get such a nice magazine devoted to our beloved Cruisers?
Nowhere, that's where. Ante up boys, if you want to see it in the future. TT alone is worth
the price of admission. Politics bug ya? Don't listen, don't care, no participate, but please,
please, please help me fill my TT fix. Hehe
Now about TLCA. It seems to me most are trying real hard to make this organization
make a difference for us poor old cruiserheads. They've done a good job.
I'll continue to support TLCA as I have in the past.
Oh crap! I just remembered my dues are up the 31st. Holy Sh*t Batman!
I won't get the next TT.
LOL...the check's in the mail...well...Monday at least.
David of Pumpkintown TLCA # 7216

I can't see undermining the TLCA organization by not renewing my membership. Just think what would happen if half the members decided to not renew, just because they were unhappy with the politics. &nbsp:Destroying an organization isn't the way to bring about changes within it. My renewal goes in this month.

Ed Gilbert - TLCA #5659 ::)

Just to put my vote in here, I'm in solidly for renewal as support for the new officers, and will use what influence I have in Lone Staar Cruisers to make sure the members are also.
Butch Baker
pres
Lone Star Land Cruisers
DFW chapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom