who's NOT running BFGs or MT/R's?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going 33's in the next couple weeks, and in the due-diligence stage of tire research. I've recently put in 4.11s, and fr/rr ARB...as the 60 won't be my daily driver for much longer. I'm convinced I'll go for a "MT" tire, and curious about "the other brands".

Anyone running Kumho Mud tires or Bridgestone Mud tires, or Coopers or anything else that's worth talking about??

Next question is on width: I want to go 33x10.5x15, so I don't have to replace wheels. There are very limited choices in that size (or so I think). Anyone have pros/cons for going 33x12.5 or even looking at 32x11.5?

Thanks,

CardinalFJ60

I would seriously consider Interco IROKS! Down here they are generally considered the best off road tire made today. And they do fall in the line of a MT style tire. They make both radial and bias models too.

um my troopy used to run hancook muddies, they were cheap and effective

i got the radial claws in 33 X 12.5 and i must say their onroad manners are superior to my BFG all terrains, and they dig in the mud

Don't know about the other tire brands{I'm yet another BFG A/T clone) but I can tell you that 33's + 4.11 gears give you about normal drivability...going to 32's would gear you down a bit...probably an advantage for off-road but also probably a drag if you've got to drive a long way on the highway first. Good luck.

HZJ60 Guy said:
I would seriously consider Interco IROKS! Down here they are generally considered the best off road tire made today. And they do fall in the line of a MT style tire. They make both radial and bias models too.
and figure that you will get less than 10K outy of them..

Mace said:
and figure that you will get less than 10K outy of them..

Is that from personal experience? If not guessing about something like that doesnt help anybody here. That number seems way to low. Im going to start asking people who run them what they're getting.

Yes it is personal experience.

The Iroks are super soft and will not wear well.

That is why they get such awesome traction.

I'm running the Firestone Destinaton M/T. I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it I Love it.

Best tires ever. I'm running the 287/75-16, but I think they also make a 33x12.5-15.

I'm not running BFGs. Used to, never again. Side walls just too dang fragile.

Almost anything but ProComps. I like BFGs but now love the Toyos

In my opinon the best MT tires that I ever used are the General Grabbers MT 33" X 12.5 in 8" wheels. Geat on road performance and awsome in mud .. little smoothers for rocks ..

If General doing more taller tires .. right now maybe I useng one .. but, very limited options in 37" R15.

Well, from an all around stand point I got 60,000 miles on my last set of 35x12.5x15 BFG's. That aint bad.

I am running 33x12.5 Super Swampers.....I cannot beleive the differance they make wheeling....

I had 33x10.5 ATs and they are nutten compared to the SS...

I'm also running General Grabber MTs. They seem to be good tires. I had mine siped at Discount Tire, and that helped a LOT in the snow and ice. Probably helps in the wet, too, but since it never rains here... :D

Good tires and a rear locker, with the t-case linkage modified for 2-lo, sure is a nice combination. :)

I used to run BFG MTs. Had uncut 30s on my Heep, and they wore like iron but were scary as hell in the wet. Had siped 33s on my 40, which were amazing in the rain.

polarweasel said:
t-case linkage modified for 2-lo.

Why can't you just unlock the hubs and get 2-low?

I have ran several sets of BFGs and never found their side walls to be weak, and they have pretty good wear.

If you want a 33X10.50 you are limited to Swampers and BFGs. In 12.50s the sky is the limit. I have heard good things about Maxxis, Dunlop and Kuhmos. And all of those are not too expensive.

I want to run either Sampers or Toyo Open Country MTs next just for the kick of it, but I really like the performance I have had from my BFGs.

Jason

I have 285 (33") bfg MT's on my fj62 and while they have been a decent tire. I don't find them high enought when aired down to clear rocks/obsticles on medium to hardcore trails. also they are not siped which might not be a big deal where you are from but when in the snow I have to be in 4 wheel drive or I slide and spin out too much.
I am switching too Trxus MT's in the 34x12.5x16 size I was really aiming at the goodyear mtr's in the 315 size but can't find them in that size anywhere (seem to be a popular tire for Hummers in and out of country and was told a mid July availiblity for tires back in early June and I don't want to wait a month and ahalf in the future for a replacement. SO that led me to the trxus tires which while a 1/2 smaller they tend to hold there height better when aired down. Also my current bfg 285 mt's are loud on the road, not as loud as the TSL's I had before but the Trxus tend to be a bit quiter as well.
I waited until 4th of July weekend to get a good deal on the trxus tires so I don't have them on yet but will post pics when i do.
If you are looking for a trail only I would take a look at the Swamper LTB's in the 34" size.
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom