Who’s Modified Blue Hub Fan Clutch Is Best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Either of those is probably fine, though it depends on the viscosity of the fluid they use. I'm running 30k cst fluid which is probably higher than either of the vendors. Agree with just do it yourself.

I’m in the Pacific Northwest, with crappy weather, and don’t have a space inside to do the work. So, I’m just going to have a shop install a modified fan clutch.

Why not just modify the fan clutch you currently have? Ive modified two eatons and I have zero complaints.
agreed, all I did was put a little more fluid that i bought from Toyota in than what came out and it engages / disengages fine.

Ok, so silly question... Is there a problem with the blue hub fan clutch in "stock" form? When I bought my LC the PO included a new blue hub that he never got around to installing. My LC currently runs 190 ish on a digital gauge in South Texas summer heat. I was planning on some wrench time this weekend to include swapping out the fan clutch. I have read the threads about swapping out the oil for a heavier weight but is it necessary or just a case of my fan clutch is best fan clutch?

Ok, so silly question... Is there a problem with the blue hub fan clutch in "stock" form? When I bought my LC the PO included a new blue hub that he never got around to installing. My LC currently runs 190 ish on a digital gauge in South Texas summer heat. I was planning on some wrench time this weekend to include swapping out the fan clutch. I have read the threads about swapping out the oil for a heavier weight but is it necessary or just a case of my fan clutch is best fan clutch?
From what I’ve read, if you aren’t seeing numbers over 190, you are good to go. I wouldn’t touch it.

From what I’ve read, if you aren’t seeing numbers over 190, you are good to go. I wouldn’t touch it.
High 180's on the highway in summer heat maybe reach 190. Once I get off the highway into the neighborhood it will creep up as high as 194 before I get home. I can't remember seeing higher than that. Just thought a new clutch would push more air at low speed. Or at least that is my hope. I don't mind the 190 thing for the most part but I would assume the cooler you can keep these things (within reason of course) the better it will be in the long run for head gasket problems. Or, the prevention there of I should say.

High 180's on the highway in summer heat maybe reach 190. Once I get off the highway into the neighborhood it will creep up as high as 194 before I get home. I can't remember seeing higher than that. Just thought a new clutch would push more air at low speed. Or at least that is my hope. I don't mind the 190 thing for the most part but I would assume the cooler you can keep these things (within reason of course) the better it will be in the long run for head gasket problems. Or, the prevention there of I should say.
I’m hitting 200 degrees driving around town in 60 degree weather. If I go up a short hill I’ll see 201-204. By comparison, your numbers sound great.

I’m in the Pacific Northwest, with crappy weather, and don’t have a space inside to do the work. So, I’m just going to have a shop install a modified fan clutch.
I wouldn’t trust just any shop with my 80. In fact, I don’t trust shops at all. Maybe that guy in Hockinson could be trusted, his shop is always full.

But, as stated before, modding the clutch is very simple and not worth the price of a new already modded clutch. A new clutch can be had for well under $100 if you need to have a new one.

I wouldn’t trust just any shop with my 80. In fact, I don’t trust shops at all. Maybe that guy in Hockinson could be trusted, his shop is always full.

But, as stated before, modding the clutch is very simple and not worth the price of a new already modded clutch. A new clutch can be had for well under $100 if you need to have a new one.
The shop I use is good. They did my head work and recently replaced my AC pump for me.

I'd also recommend getting the hardware to go with the fan clutch. My hardware was in poor shape. I got the Wits End modified clutch and hardware and couldn't be happier. The scan gauge validated the lower temps btw.

I'd also recommend getting the hardware to go with the fan clutch. My hardware was in poor shape. I got the Wits End modified clutch and hardware and couldn't be happier. The scan gauge validated the lower temps btw.

I ended up going with the Landtank modified fan clutch. It’s the one Wits’ End used to sell. I had my local shop install it. My Ultra Guage is showing at least a 6° drop. The temp actually drops when I pull big hills. Before it would heat up significantly up hills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom