Who watched that BaT auction this afternoon? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody else watch those two dudes bidding up to $185k (that's $185,000 dollars) on a 1995 Land Cruiser?

And it ends up Reserve not Met at $185k. Absolutely amazing vehicle, but that's just an amount I can't really wrap my head around.

That's just CRaZY!!!

I was watching it at $130,000… Insane.

Enjoy. 😂.

Those with more money than knowledge or ability.

Not what most here are going to play in unless they do it themselves.

Joe Rogan has HUGE dollars in his truck based on simple math of the number of hours that Icon put into it, regardless of the parts cost. (He states in the video how many hours they have in it, and at $100/hour it was over $300K IIRC.

To the average "Joe" here, that's a hell no.

Those with more money than knowledge or ability.

Not what most here are going to play in unless they do it themselves.

Joe Rogan has HUGE dollars in his truck based on simple math of the number of hours that Icon put into it, regardless of the parts cost. (He states in the video how many hours they have in it, and at $100/hour it was over $300K IIRC.

To the average "Joe" here, that's a hell no.

TLC’s rate was $300/hr the last time I had a customer use them.

Even if I was a billionaire I wouldn't pay those rates. For that money you could buy a pristine original 80 and have money left over for a Supra or GTR. I don't understand why so many people seem to think Land Cruisers were designed to be race cars..

BaT and Barrett and Mecum frequently turn into a publicly televised 🍆 measuring contest….nothing more. You really need to know your max bid going in and be confident enough in your manhood to stop bidding when you reach your max bid. It is absurd what people are paying for cars at some of these auctions. Great I guess if you’re selling, disappointing if you’re trying to buy against any of these d’bags.

These cream puff 80s that will never see the trail and have lockers? It actually makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. To me, it's dumb. If I saw a guy with one of those at the gas station I'd just ask him what his favorite local trail was and what PSI he usually airs down to. Then I'd just walk away. Sorry, I'm feeling irritated by the whole thing.

These cream puff 80s that will never see the trail and have lockers? It actually makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. To me, it's dumb. If I saw a guy with one of those at the gas station I'd just ask him what his favorite local trail was and what PSI he usually airs down to. Then I'd just walk away. Sorry, I'm feeling irritated by the whole thing.
Subaru trail
how many street cars you see with roll cage, fire extinguisher, big wings and suspension that is someone's DD and have never been on the track, same difference =)

BaT and Barrett and Mecum frequently turn into a publicly televised 🍆 measuring contest….nothing more. You really need to know your max bid going in and be confident enough in your manhood to stop bidding when you reach your max bid. It is absurd what people are paying for cars at some of these auctions. Great I guess if you’re selling, disappointing if you’re trying to buy against any of these d’bags.
You must be talking about this measuring contest. Nothing that special about this $80k truck. Heck, it's got a rear main leak even.

That said, if anyone feels compelled to spend that money, I've got one with better parts and in better shape.

1633028211641.gif

I've got garages full of creampuffs. I'm kinda happy that you're triggered by that.

Not everybody wants to go wheeling. Or go wheeling in something larger than a side by side.

Trust me, you'd really hate my 80. :rofl:

Yep, different strokes for different folks. If I weren't going to wheel my 80, I'd go back to driving a CR-V.
Part of my irritation with the trailer queen 80 Series phenomenon is that people who want a reliable 4X4 that they can work on themselves are getting priced out of what used to be/should be a good option, and parts are getting harder to come by and more expensive. Nothing to be done about it, though.

I've got garages full of creampuffs. I'm kinda happy that you're triggered by that.

Not everybody wants to go wheeling. Or go wheeling in something larger than a side by side.

Trust me, you'd really hate my 80. :rofl:
#mallcrawler
My rig is built for a purpose, if I dont want to go wheeling, why bother with a built 80 with big tires...there is a difference.

Last edited:
Yep, different strokes for different folks. If I weren't going to wheel my 80, I'd go back to driving a CR-V.
Part of my irritation with the trailer queen 80 Series phenomenon is that people who want a reliable 4X4 that they can work on themselves are getting priced out of what used to be/should be a good option, and parts are getting harder to come by and more expensive. Nothing to be done about it, though.
Yea I mean do what you want with your vehicles, but I get where you're coming from.

Even so, Land Cruisers in the US were kind of a status symbol from when they were new, being offered only in top trim at luxury SUV prices, unlike other regions where they're sold mainly as work trucks and utility vehicles. Seems like for the most they only started getting wheeled heavily when the values started to tank in the mid-2000s.

Now that values are up again, they're starting to become status symbols again, and/or collector's items to be speculated on. I agree it can be kind of a shame when a 3x locked 80 becomes a showpiece or heirloom sitting in a garage and taken for Sunday drives, but then how many supercars end up with the same fate instead of getting tracked like they were designed for?

It's supremely ironic when newbs want to chatter on about the current state of the Land Cruiser market. Look in the mirror. Prices aren't up because us old-timers are out there bidding shyte up.

I've moved past beating up my stuff and simply enjoy owning a small collection of excellent examples. Mudders who see my rigs generally don't have a problem with it. Or at least they don't ask me passive-aggressive questions, then walk away. ;)

Rising prices are a bad thing, even to those of us who have been around for while... Higher insurance. Higher taxes, Higher parts costs. More theft. Etc. Etc. There's no upside, unless you're selling. And right now, there's very few I'd be willing to part. Check my avatar.... that ain't a SCUBA reference.

Carry on, Boys.

EDIT: And just to clarify my comment on newbs... that's not meant to be a bash.
Prices are up for many factors... and one of them is a dramatic spike in demand.

Every hobby needs fresh blood, else it dies, so please accept my warmest welcome. Use your stuff how you see fit. And if you haven't found one yet, good luck with your quest, but please don't do any financial self-harm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom