Who uses the LV as a Daily Driver? (1 Viewer)

Mikesta

Never decruiserfied
SILVER Star
Website
www.showmerents.com
Just curious.

Would like to ask a few questions.

1. What is the mileage like?
2. How do you ensure some hoodlum doesn't steal it?
4. How many miles daily do you drive it
5. Do the heaters that come with the truck keep it warm?
6. Do you get numerous questions about it at gas stations?

I have more questions. My main question is who uses the LV daily?

Not daily but a couple times a month I'll drive it to work, and every saturday. I get about 17 mpg but its a conversion (ramjet 350). I lock the doors, and will occasionally pull the fuel pump relay if I'm in a seedy area. The heat just coming in from the firewall keeps it warm, but I don't have any insulation yet. Not too many questions, lots of stares, people tend not to park next to it. My wife digs driving it any chance she gets and found a guy under it when she came back out from home depot. That makes me more nervous than anything. Those who do check it out usually know a bit about land cruisers. I don't like driving it daily because it does attract attention, more because mine looks pretty rough, not because its rare or anything.

I don't yet, but I can't wait to ride in my cold, gas guzzling, exhaust smelling, question prompting, what the heck is that thing wagon on a daily basis.

Dave

fjwagon

SILVER Star
NOt even close.....I don't have room where I live so I have it 8 hours aways in my sisters back yard.....next to their ventage VW bug

this one time at band camp...............:flipoff2:

Chef said:
I'd like to use my LV for anything at all:)
I hope to have it turned into a "fair weather daily dirver, and band gear hauler" by fall of this year...

buckroseau

May I have another!!!
SILVER Star
I'll let you know when I get that far ;)

I am planning to use mine as one, or at least the wife is :) I plan on daily driver and long distance, trying to do what ever it takes to get the comfort out of it so it can get used......a LOT. Always said even the Minnesota road salt is going to get a shot at it year round ;p

I guess I've always figured with my toys is that you only get 1 chance to go around on this big merry-go-round called life..............use the sh-t out of them :D

Matt

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Well since Land Cruiser Junky hasn't had much time for the board lately, I'll chime in for him for now.

His LV IS his daily driver. He puts at least 120 miles a day on the truck driving from Santa Clarita to Santa Monica. He's got the 2F in the engine compartment, along with a 72 carb I built up for him. IIRC, he said he's getting about 16mpg.

I'm not sure what he does about theft deterrence, but I know that he's usually got a good view of the truck when he's on the jobsite [construction trade; glass installer] My bigger concern for him is not theft but accident. With no rear bumper in a city like LA, it's like Russian roulette.

I've talked about building him something, but we never seem to get around to it.:frown:

65swb45 said:
I've talked about building him something, but we never seem to get around to it.:frown:

HIJACK
I've got the old diamond plate dealer add-on step bumper off of mine laying in the alley awaiting a trip to the recycler. It needs some work, but I think they're more funcional than the 'repro' ones that have been talked about in another thread.
HIJACK OVER

I drive my FJ45 pick-up as a daily driver, 10 miles round trip. I get 'stuck' BSing about it now and then. Once-in-a-while, I find someone crawling around under it, my theft deterent is to put the keys under the seat...Oh, and last I checked it got 7.5 mpg, so it's no longer my DD until I fix that problem (it was getting 12).

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Well, if you're gonna drag pickups into this, my lwb is also my DD. I built what I think is a pretty good bumper for it last year. Gets 14-15 mpg if I stay off the gas, 12 if Im on it. Yeah it's noisy, but my regular commute is 15 miles each way.

Theft deterrent? Three on the tree!;p

Dan, send the bumper down with Georg and I'll find a way to sneak it on to Gene's junk when he's not looking!:D

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Website
home.comcast.net
I DD the 66 FJ45LV until I tried to pass a semi on a hill. I must have had the RPMs up there because it was either so loud I couldn't hear the F135 and 3 speed or it actually quieted down. Right when it seemed to have another horse under the hood, I looked in the rear view and saw nothing but white. That was one pissed off truck driver!! :eek:

I blew out the rear freeze plug and emptied every drop of coolant/antifreeze in about three seconds.

I drive mine fairly frequently on nice days. Yes - wierd gas station comments, 12 mpg, I use a 'Club' (for minimal theft protection) and a few other methods, and just don't park it in unsafe areas. You take a risk driving it, but if parked in your garage, you can have disasters befall it, too - falling pieces of conduit, kids bicycles, etc. I have a short commute - 8 miles, rural roads. The heater works fine in the miniature pickup cab, and boiled out the heater core with Muriatic acid. Since Colorado is a big state for Toyotas, you get odd looks from (usually) minitruck drivers and the errant Jeep driver with out-of-state plates. I had a repair shop owner bring out his entire staff to gawk at it, as he 'thought he had seen everything' and figured it must have been homemade.

Website
www.raddcruisers.ca
?Could you imagine how alone George (Orange FJ45) must of felt before this 45 board was implemented???

Now George is amongst the other alternative choice cruiser folk....

Just joking George...

Rob

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
SteveH said:
I had a repair shop owner bring out his entire staff to gawk at it, as he 'thought he had seen everything' and figured it must have been homemade.

I drove my swb into a dealership for an oil change once, just for s***s and giggles. It took 3 hours precisely because they had to have EVERYONE in the place go into the service bay while it was in the lift and gawk at it.

Maybe I should try that again sometime when I'm worried about leaving it outside at a movie theatre!;p

Took Junk's 45LWB to the local dealer and it was like a one man car show. The entire sales force had to have a look. Was waiting for someone to start asking for rides around the parking lot in it... Of course nobody gave two chits whenever I showed up in my 40. :rolleyes:

Nick

Mark is right. My LV is my DD and I put an average of 100+ miles a day on it. Marv Specter put the 2F in it while he owned it. Mark rebuilt a 72 carb and tuned the motor up and that thing kicks some butt. I'm getting 16-17 mpg and it's got plenty of power for driving the L.A. freeways. After driving my 40 with a 350 in it for almost 30 years, I thought I was gonna be disappointed with the 2F. I love it. Not disappointed in the power at all.

As far as theft goes, I've got a couple things making it a little more difficult to take.

I get asked about it a couple times a day at least. Today while my wife and I are eating lunch, a guy walks up and knocks on my door and asks if I want to sell it. He says he has a friend who has a restored LV that a tree fell on and crushed while parked in his garage. He takes out a couple pics and sure enough, a huge tree is laying across a crushed garage with a crushed LV inside it. Bummer.
driverside.JPG

Mikesta

Never decruiserfied
SILVER Star
Website
www.showmerents.com
Land Cruiser Junky said:
Mark is right. My LV is my DD and I put an average of 100+ miles a day on it. Marv Specter put the 2F in it while he owned it. Mark rebuilt a 72 carb and tuned the motor up and that thing kicks some butt. I'm getting 16-17 mpg and it's got plenty of power for driving the L.A. freeways. After driving my 40 with a 350 in it for almost 30 years, I thought I was gonna be disappointed with the 2F. I love it. Not disappointed in the power at all.

As far as theft goes, I've got a couple things making it a little more difficult to take.

I get asked about it a couple times a day at least. Today while my wife and I are eating lunch, a guy walks up and knocks on my door and asks if I want to sell it. He says he has a friend who has a restored LV that a tree fell on and crushed while parked in his garage. He takes out a couple pics and sure enough, a huge tree is laying across a crushed garage with a crushed LV inside it. Bummer.

That is encouraging... sorry to be biast... If you have a 45 pickup post as well <--- wasn't thinking about excluding all in this. very encouraging to read up... I will have a dd soon and look to take some serious precautions against theft.

I'd go with the usual multiples. In-line fuel lock, kill switch, club, etc.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Land Cruiser Junky said:
I'd go with the usual multiples. In-line fuel lock, kill switch, club, etc.

How about putting the dash mounted t-case lever in neutral. Only a cruiserhead would know WTF it is!

Land Cruiser Junky said:
He says he has a friend who has a restored LV that a tree fell on and crushed while parked in his garage. He takes out a couple pics and sure enough, a huge tree is laying across a crushed garage with a crushed LV inside it. Bummer.

did you get this guys number? The roof of mine is good, I bet if I cut this whole thing up I could fit it on Georg's trailer with the 40 he's picking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom