Who uses GAIA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4xoa.com
Hey gang, (we're a gang right?)

Gaia GPS is offering one free year of their GaiaPro subscription to any participants of Copper State Cruisers. GaiaPro can be used as a standalone service on gaiagps.com, or as an enhancement to the mobile app (purchased separately for iOS or Android). To redeem this offer, simply email support@gaiagps.com and mention the Copperstate Cruisers forum. Please don't email them until Friday 5/27 so they can get CSC into their system.

GAIA would like users to post feedback their user forum. Info can be found here: https://www.gaiagps.com/company/forums/

I should be getting some free license keys in the near future and will figure out a fair way to give them away.

Thanks,
Chris

Original Message:

Who in CSC land uses GAIA as their preferred navigation app? I am asking because I am becoming a brand evangelist for them and I am working on some goodies for the group. At a minimum, it will be a free GAIA Pro subscription for anyone who wants to upgrade ($40 Value)

Please post up the following:
Which version you use iOS or Android
Have you used GAIA Pro in the past?
How long have you used GAIA?
Do you have a favorite source for getting GPX tracks for areas you have never been to?

I am happy to collect any info good or bad you wish to pass along to GAIA. This is not required. They are trying to get a better understanding of the off-road and overlanding community. I am a 3-year user and happy to support GAIA's efforts. Look for a follow-up post next week with further details. I am hoping I can give away a few copies of the app as well.

Thanks,
Chris

PS: I read some of the posts on this old thread, Got Gaia GPS? but current info is always great.

Last edited:
I don't have it now, but I've been thinking about purchasing.

Tbh, i have a garmin navi, its pretty damn amazing for what i paid for it.

I have Gaia GPS w/offline Topo Maps

iOS - iPhone 6s

Never used Gaia Pro

using since December 2015, 6 months

no source for GPX tracks

I like it a lot. Works well with no cellular connection if you download the offline topo maps. During Elk season I was able to drop pin when I left my truck navigate back without issue.

• iOS (6s and iPad Gen III - both equipped with actual GPS chip)
  • Yes to Gaia Pro but don't use it enough to give you feedback
  • ~2 years, give or take......
  • No source for GPX, would love to find Arizona game manage units, usually download maps in advance of field needs
  • Offline works great against downloaded maps, pin drops are life savers to get back to the truck when walking thru the forest.....

Have Gaia Pro on my android tablet and phone - well worth the modest cost but a real pain to pre-download tiles.

Primary GPS is Garmin DriveLuxe 50LMTHD - brand new - previous was Garmin Nuvi 750.

Garmin in my mind is well worth the cost of the device and cost of the topo maps. Buy 'em once and use them forever without having to plan on where I'm going and downloading Gaia tiles ahead of time. Lifetime traffic & street maps is also well worth the cost to me.

My biggest complaint about Gaia is I don't know what areas I already downloaded and what areas I need. I end up putting pushpins at the corners of each download tile set to try to keep track of them. It would be much easier if Gaia would just show me the tiles that I have on the device so I can fill in the gaps.

Next complaint is I have to download twice - once for the tablet and once for the phone. I should be able to transfer tiles between them, and ideally, download tiles on the home PC and then copy over to the two android devices.

I do like Gaia, and the CalTopo maps of the US forests are great and have a lot of info the Garmin topos don't, but they are still a pain to use. Garmin wins on ease of use at 15 times the cost. I'd rather pay than waste a lot of time before a trip!

Oh yeah, Gaia has a cool name :cool:

Thanks for all of the great feedback so far. Keep it coming. I will extract it from here and send it off to GAIA once the responses slow down.

For a source for tracks here's a new one: trailsoffroad.com I am now a contributor to that web site. I have only done one write up to date for the Montana Mountain trail but will be doing lots more. Technically it is still in beta with a soft launch coming soon. There is a lot of good content for AZ and the Southwest in general.

I have also used GPSXchange.com and pretty much search for things like Soldier Pass GPX to see what comes up on Google.

Again thanks for the feedback!
Chris

Chris,

I have been using GAIA for almost a year now.
I use it on my iPhone 6, and on my iPad, both running the latest iOS (9.3.2).
I typically download map areas from the GAIA website. but I am now the proud owner of a Bad Elf standalone GPS/Bluetooth receiver (got it right after Death Valley).
I have been very happy with GAIA mapping system. Depending on the detail I wanted, the map files were a little large, but I would rather have more detail than not enough.

I am looking forward to what more yip have to say.

Have Gaia Pro on my android tablet and phone - well worth the modest cost but a real pain to pre-download tiles.

Primary GPS is Garmin DriveLuxe 50LMTHD - brand new - previous was Garmin Nuvi 750.

Garmin in my mind is well worth the cost of the device and cost of the topo maps. Buy 'em once and use them forever without having to plan on where I'm going and downloading Gaia tiles ahead of time. Lifetime traffic & street maps is also well worth the cost to me.

My biggest complaint about Gaia is I don't know what areas I already downloaded and what areas I need. I end up putting pushpins at the corners of each download tile set to try to keep track of them. It would be much easier if Gaia would just show me the tiles that I have on the device so I can fill in the gaps.

Next complaint is I have to download twice - once for the tablet and once for the phone. I should be able to transfer tiles between them, and ideally, download tiles on the home PC and then copy over to the two android devices.

I do like Gaia, and the CalTopo maps of the US forests are great and have a lot of info the Garmin topos don't, but they are still a pain to use. Garmin wins on ease of use at 15 times the cost. I'd rather pay than waste a lot of time before a trip!

Oh yeah, Gaia has a cool name :cool:
Same, i have a garmin nuvi, i update it all the time, its one of my best purchases tbh.

I've had Gaia Pro for about 6 months now (used for probably a year before upgrading). I use it on iPhone 6s in my LC and also while on other adventures. I really like the app and feel like it is certainly worth the upgrade if you use GPS as much as I do. The layered maps are great, though I wish I could have a few different layer combination presets saved, making them quicker to view/change. The other suggestions I would make are proximity alarms for waypoints and an ability to get driving directions through an app other than Apple maps. Overall I'm a very happy customer.

I've had Gaia Pro for about 6 months now (used for probably a year before upgrading). I use it on iPhone 6s in my LC and also while on other adventures. I really like the app and feel like it is certainly worth the upgrade if you use GPS as much as I do. The layered maps are great, though I wish I could have a few different layer combination presets saved, making them quicker to view/change. The other suggestions I would make are proximity alarms for waypoints and an ability to get driving directions through an app other than Apple maps. Overall I'm a very happy customer.

Routing/directions is coming. I personally don't mind bouncing out of the app but I understand why others might want to stay within GAIA. I have heard it won't be until the end of the year. Some of you may have heard about the "big" launch of Hema North America. Well "big" isn't in caps for a reason. Hema is licensing GAIA technology. The app is exactly the same although routing is turned on. I don't think it works very well. Hema may end up writing their own code at somepoint but who knows. I have the Hema app and I'm happy to show it to anyone.

There is an an called NavGPS (I think) that annouces approaching waypoints. I think that's a good suggestion as well.

As soon as I hear back from GAIA I will post up the instructions for the free upgrade. It will be an easy process for all of you.

- Chris

I have had GAIA for about 6mos. I have barely used it, however. Downloaded it along with Earthmate and Back country Explorer Pro all within minutes of one another.

I have decided that I don't like Earthmate, other than it pairs with my inReach. I have not used BCP or GAIA enough to be comfortable with either. I need a tutorial!
Some of the route mapping that Hema Maps is putting together looks good too.

I use all of my mapping software on my Galaxy Tablet. A huge point would be the ability to load maps on an SD card. The hard drive-in storage is way too limiting.

Go camping with us this weekend and I can provide more details...

I tried the routing feature in Hema. It can route you via forest roads but right now the starting point has to be your current location. Since I was in CA at the time routing to a point in AZ was a bit silly. This should improve over time and as mentioned GAIA will have this soon.

I have the details on getting the pro subscriptions and will post something tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks!

I have had GAIA for about 6mos. I have barely used it, however. Downloaded it along with Earthmate and Back country Explorer Pro all within minutes of one another.

I have decided that I don't like Earthmate, other than it pairs with my inReach. I have not used BCP or GAIA enough to be comfortable with either. I need a tutorial!

I use all of my mapping software on my Galaxy Tablet. A huge point would be the ability to load maps on an SD card. The hard drive-in storage is way too limiting.

Have you been successful loading maps to your SD card? If so I need an education....

I have updated my original post. It's really easy. Just email support@gaiagps.com, tell them you are with the Copper State Cruisers and you would like a free pro subscription.

Enjoy!
Chris

I will be updating my Android phone and can try to help if someone else can't. Here's an article on the GAIA support site that may solve your issues as well. Move Where Gaia GPS's Root Folder is Located (For SD Card Storage)

Support already sent me to the same link but I could not get it to work:( When it comes to stuff like this Im always challenged.:redface:

I also found my ipad was much faster than my Samsung tablet:meh: Another member suggested using a bluetooth? hard drive to give me the storage Im looking for using an iPad.

I have updated my original post. It's really easy. Just email support@gaiagps.com, tell them you are with the Copper State Cruisers and you would like a free pro subscription.

Enjoy!
Chris

Thanks Chris for setting up the free pro sub. Now do I get it for an Ipad or Samsung??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom