Who should I go to get my manifolds milled in the Seattle area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where should I go to get my manifolds milled in the Seattle area?

Long story short, my exhaust manifold has a lot of nasty, caked on rust/old gasket bonded to the gasket surface, and I haven't had great luck getting it off with a little drill-mounted wirewheel (I'm going to try a bigger wheel on my angle grinder tomorrow).

What I'm wondering is, if I can't get to a nice flat surface under the rusty crud...where should I go to get the manifolds milled? I say 'seattle area' in the thread title, but Bremerton and Tacoma are also relatively accessible from Vashon Island, where I happen to be located.

Alternately, for those who have had success with a Remflex gasket, just how nasty a gasket surface can they work with? Both the intake and exhaust manifolds are more or less 'flat,' i.e. not warped, but the actual surface on the exhaust manifold is fairly rough, and a little bit pitted where I've gotten the rust layer off.

Last edited:
I don't have any suggestions for you except to call around. Tor at Torfab might have a good suggestion.

On another note, I will probably be on Vashon this weekend so if you need someone to drop the manifolds off for you I could do that. The ferry is a pain in the butt I could save you a trip.

Hill machine, Ballard...

t

The exhaust manifold on my turbo Volvo was warped and I got Action Machine, behind Action Auto on Aurora in Shoreline, to mill it. It was around $85 (4 cyl, but they charged extra because it was warped beyond some threshold). They were quick and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I don't have any suggestions for you except to call around. Tor at Torfab might have a good suggestion.

On another note, I will probably be on Vashon this weekend so if you need someone to drop the manifolds off for you I could do that. The ferry is a pain in the butt I could save you a trip.

Thanks for the offer (and suggestion), but my dad works off-island and makes the commute at least three days a week, so I should be able to get the manifolds off to a shop if and when the time comes.

I'm still crossing my fingers, hoping I'll be able to get down to good, bare metal with the wire disk on my angle grinder. It kind of makes sense that the little drill-powered one going at 1/10 the RPMs would work fine on the aluminum intake, but not the cast iron exhaust. Just not enough bite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom