Who says all Police are bad...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Wilesy, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Wilesy

Wilesy

Yep,

Last night the mobile phone rang and I was talking on the phone as a Police car pulled up beside me and both guys were watching me speaking on the phone.....

I looked over and they both waved at me, I smiled and waved back.....

I drove around the corner and they pulled behind me and on went the blue lights.....

Sigh....

Oh well....

The Police officer approached my truck and asked me to step outside the vehicle....

He said to me apart from the fact that I was talking on the phone, I had my fog lights on and was pretty dazzling.....and illegal.. (I actually didn't realise that they were on...)

He then went on to say that my Navman and GPS on the dash was illegal as it obstructs the view and therefore attracts a fine which also includes 1 demerit point.....

Mmmm.....

After a lengthy discussion (45 minutes)..... they both shook my hand after organising a BBQ with them both next weekend as they both live close to my area and were both thoroughly good blokes, gave me a warning and told me not to talk on my phone in front of Police Vehicles again....

We both went on our way, without any fine....

I won't say which Police Station they were both from, but I have to say that these blokes were a pleasure to meet and reckon we are lucky to have our lives protected by these people.

2. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

Is it against the law in OZ to talk on the phone while driving???

3. Wilesy

Wilesy

Yep,

Sure is, it attracts a $280 fine, 2 demerit points and is really frowned upon...

4. Koffer

Koffer

Hell, its a legal no no here in NJ :eek:

5. reffug

reffug

Damn third world countries. lol

6. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

It's a no-no here and frankly I think it should be. More cops should give tix for it.

Then again, most of the cops here talk on their mobile phones while driving, so what can you do.

7. koop

koop

How many demerits until you have to stay after school?

8. Wilesy

Wilesy

You get 12 which goes for 3 years.....

If you loose any, it takes 3 years to get them back...

A speeding ticket will loose you 3-4 points and even as high as 8 during long weekends, so it doesn't take much to loose your licence for 3 months, or even longer.

I lost mine last year immediately for doing 148 in a 100 zone, an that was a freeway at 3:00am....

9. FLFJ40

FLFJ40

It's way illegal in Holland also.

10. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

it's stupid.

i got caught "using my mobile phone".

circumstances:

in australia we have "school zones" where the speed limit is lowered (and strictly enforced) during certain times of the day. i didn't have my watch (was on the way back from a surf) so i picked up my phone to check the time to see if i had to slow down or not.

copper did me, 200 bucks and i dont know how many points later, just because i was trying to do the right thing and see what the time was.

it's a stupid law, because you can legally use a hands free kit and talk.

studies at various road safety institutions have found the risk of an accident is the same during a phone conversation, whether your holding the phone or using hands free.

they also equate the risk of talking on the mobile to a Blood alcohol concentration of 0.05. which is the legal limit to drive. so i can legally go drink enough to impare my ability, as long as my BAC stays under .05, and talk on my hands free (which is same risk as if i held the phone) at the same time and be legal, but if i check the time on my phone it's illegal.

oh, but you can legally eat and drive... now what's more distracting, spilling a hot pie or burger or coffee in your lap at highway speeds, or holding a phone up to your ear

Traffic laws are a pet peive of mine :D

11. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

It's illegal in most of europe. Including Finland-- Home of Nokia, and Sweden, Home of Ericsson.

Steve

12. calamaridog

calamaridog

One of my favorite bumper stickers...

"Do you think you will drive better with that phone up your ass?"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.