Who said changing out a clutch was hard!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A buddy of mine came over this morning to help me replace my clutch, rear main seal, and front output shaft of the tranny seals as well...everyone who says this is a weekend job or an all day job is completely wrong. We knocked this thing out in 4 hours!!!! We probably would of done it faster if i hadn't ask so many questions. I was extremely impressed with his mechanical skills. He didn't even need a clutch alignment tool to put everything back into place.

Once we were done and had some food in the stomachs we took it for a test drive and the slipping that was there before is completely gone.

Thanks Ruben..you da man.

Jason

Its good to hear a success story to offset the PITA fixit stories.

It's not hard just heavy!! Lucky on doing it with no alignment tool though! I've done mine on my own entirely in a day. It's easier with more bodies to lift and message things into and out of place.

We dropped the tranny.

I never said it was hard. in fact, it must be easy, 'cuase the guy who did mine this winter had a smile on his face when i picked it up.
of course, i also gave him 800 bucks

hammer

For a driveway clutch replacement on an 86 60 with minumum tools is it easier to drop the tranny or pull the engine?? I'm new to Cruisers, so work with me here...

Yeah, It's not so difficult job but heavy job.
I did many tranny job to my cruiser but still I feel difficulty when install the tranny because of heavy weight.

Good on you man. Now just be easy on her for a while will ya!

Nice report.

Pulling the engine to change a clutch would be the hardest way to do it. Pulling the tranny, while your cruiser is up on a lift, with a proper tranny jack is by far the easiest way

Last edited:
tranny jack is really the key.
I've only done the job twice... and nowhere near 4 hours. But ask Gifu about it some time.... He's done his at least 10 times (four or five in one month if I recall correctly).

Still and all, the thing is pretty heavy and stuff down there tends to be grimy. I wouldn't suggest that anyone *plan* on doing the job in four hours.

I just did this as part of my H55f install. The clutch itself is easy, taking the tranny and t-case OUT is easy. Re-installing the tranny and t-case is difficult. I agree with the need for a real tranny jack. I used a shop crane from above which is OK but for a home garage install, a real tranny jack would be the ticket.

I could see where you could get by with out an alignment tool, but why? It does take the quesswork out of the clutch alignment. Getting the pilot bearing out can be a fight, but I ground down a Harbor Freight pilot bearing puller and it makes this a simple job. I also noticed that Toyota re-designed the throw out bearing-the new one has a hardened face. Pretty cool they are still thinking about their old trucks.

I'm also confused about not using the $2 alignment tool.... seems like it would add unneccessary effort for no reward.

But then, I guess the same could be said about not using a calculator to do math... if you don't need it, I guess you don't need it.

BigSur said:
A buddy of mine came over this morning to help me replace my clutch, rear main seal, and front output shaft of the tranny seals as well...everyone who says this is a weekend job or an all day job is completely wrong. We knocked this thing out in 4 hours!!!! We probably would of done it faster if i hadn't ask so many questions. I was extremely impressed with his mechanical skills. He didn't even need a clutch alignment tool to put everything back into place.

Once we were done and had some food in the stomachs we took it for a test drive and the slipping that was there before is completely gone.

Thanks Ruben..you da man.

Jason

where do you live? i need mine done...lol! -other sean

lucky you.... It took a total of 2 weeks two do mine because we ripped two rear main seals and each new one took about a week to get here.

Is it recomended to get a whole new clutch kit or just the clutch. Also, anyone recomend the a good place to get a new one?

Ruben.....as in the Ruben(Goldforth?) that often sells parts on Ebay?

clay42 said:
Is it recomended to get a whole new clutch kit or just the clutch. Also, anyone recomend the a good place to get a new one?

I got a new OEM clutch from Toyota-I also got a pilot bearing, throwout bearing,-the works. PM Cruiserdan on the board for this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom