Who Owns This Rig (Outback)? What size tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

This rig came up in an aolder post and has a very nice stance, height and tire combo. Anyone know what size these are? I like it!

Thanks

DSFront.jpg

285/75/r16's=33"s

Looks like mine use to before I added all the armor. Defientely 285s

Agree -- they look to be 285s.

315s with OME heavies (2.5") would look like this:
pict2989.jpg

NorCalDoug said:

actually, once you enhance the pic so the tires and wheelwells don't blend, like this:

;)
pict2989.jpg

woody said:
actually, once you enhance the pic so the tires and wheelwells don't blend, like this:

;)

That looks sharp

So, those are the 35x12.5x16 MTR Equivilant? Dont think i can swing 35's now (gearing cost) but it sure looks nice!

NorCalDoug said:

How much rubbing ya got with 35's and 2.5" lift? Extended bumpstops?

Boston Mangler said:
That looks sharp

So, those are the 35x12.5x16 MTR Equivilant? Dont think i can swing 35's now (gearing cost) but it sure looks nice!

No 285/75R16's are about 33x11x16.

EDIT: Oh, you are talking about the white one... sorry.

Last edited:
LR_RESQ said:
No 285/75R16's are about 33x11x16.

Correct, i was talking about the other pic with the reference to the 315's

Also, found some interesting info on the Goodyear site:

It appears their LT285/75R16 tire is the strongest and the cheapest!

LT285/75R16
Load Range = D
Max Load =3,305lb @ 65mph
Retail= $221.95

LT315/75R16
Load Range = D
Max Load = 3,195lb @ 50mph
Retail = $264.95

LT305/70R16
Load Range = D
Max Load = 2,910lb @ 50mph
Retail = $249.95

Well - just to help your decision ... you can't get a set of 315/75R16 MTRs anywhere in the country right now. So you can write that size off until they come out with the new tread pattern (according to GY). BTW - I've got a buddy with a set of three right now looking for a 4th ... think he's getting tired of not being able to use them if anyones needing an extra :rolleyes: .

Tucker

Boston,
I'm currently the poster-child for what you're not supposed to do when installing 315s on an 80 series.

I haven't had much rubbing yet. I had a little at Death Valley and some at Moab -- nothing major though. I don't have flares, so maybe that helps a bit. I haven't done anything to the bumpstops yet -- which is why I think it's rubbing. I haven't taken the truck on the Rubicon yet with the 315s - I suspect if I'm going to have problems, it'll be on that trail. I got the 315s after last year's trip on the trail -- I blew out one of my 285 MTRs on the way home.

I'm not regeared yet either. I'm still running OEM 4.10. I'm slower off the start with the 315s as compared to with the 285s, but I get better fuel economy on the freeway (which counters the loss of fuel economy in city driving)...so I guess it's a wash in the end.

I was at America's Tire a couple weeks back getting my tires balanced and they told me that (at that time) there were 3 315 GY MTRs in CA. They've been on back order for a while...but not impossible to find.

Have you looked at the Firestone MTs? I don't know about their availability, but I recall that they were fairly priced and had some good reviews. They only went up to a 285/75 R16 last time I checked.

NorCalDoug said:
Boston,
I'm currently the poster-child for what you're not supposed to do when installing 315s on an 80 series.

I haven't had much rubbing yet. I had a little at Death Valley and some at Moab -- nothing major though. I don't have flares, so maybe that helps a bit. I haven't done anything to the bumpstops yet -- which is why I think it's rubbing. I haven't taken the truck on the Rubicon yet with the 315s - I suspect if I'm going to have problems, it'll be on that trail. I got the 315s after last year's trip on the trail -- I blew out one of my 285 MTRs on the way home.

I'm not regeared yet either. I'm still running OEM 4.10. I'm slower off the start with the 315s as compared to with the 285s, but I get better fuel economy on the freeway (which counters the loss of fuel economy in city driving)...so I guess it's a wash in the end.

I was at America's Tire a couple weeks back getting my tires balanced and they told me that (at that time) there were 3 315 GY MTRs in CA. They've been on back order for a while...but not impossible to find.

Have you looked at the Firestone MTs? I don't know about their availability, but I recall that they were fairly priced and had some good reviews. They only went up to a 285/75 R16 last time I checked.

Thanks for the info NorCalDoug, i am set on MTR's of some size though, i have had them on 2 rigs already and swear by them! I guess i might have to be patient or settle for the 33 size. Curious, what gears are recommended for 35's? Any idea on the release date of the 35's?

Is that Black and White two tone rig yours?

Yes, that's mine. Pic was taken at Surf-n-Turf last year. The black is bedliner to cover the many holes I had after I removed the cladding that was on the side of my LX 450.

I like the MTRs as well. I haven't had a problem yet with them...except for the blow out... ;p

Installing 4.56 will bring the speedo back to "normal" settings...so I'd assume that brings you back to (or close to) OEM specs.
Many go with 4.88s, however, since we all know we can't stop at 35s :D
...and the additional torque's got to be nice.

NorCalDoug said:
Yes, that's mine. Pic was taken at Surf-n-Turf last year. The black is bedliner to cover the many holes I had after I removed the .

Was the whole interior removed and bedlined too? If so, i believe we were partying with you @ our camp @ the Surf and Turf, we were in a stock white FJ62.

I was the big and ugly bald guy (trust me, you would remember)!

Interior is liner-free. I don't think that was me. Most times I wouldn't be quite certain -- what with all the Cazadores floating around where ever PismoJim happens to be -- but I had the wife and kids with me, so my fermented agave consumption was not very high. ;)

Ahhh

Definitely not you then! :D

You going this year? We should be there! This time in my 80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom