Who on MUD never taken their 80s on dirt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My wth happened to the market story:
I had a International Scout II that I tried to sell for years for $500. Finally cut it up and scrapped it cause the wife wanted it gone. Now you can't find even a clapped out one for less than $5k and that's if you can get one at all. One I had looks like it would fetch $10k now based on what I see. Would never have thought Scouts would be worth so much.

My wth happened to the market story:
I had a International Scout II that I tried to sell for years for $500. Finally cut it up and scrapped it cause the wife wanted it gone. Now you can't find even a clapped out one for less than $5k and that's if you can get one at all. One I had looks like it would fetch $10k now based on what I see. Would never have thought Scouts would be worth so much.
When everything on the new market is in need of testosterone supplements the old iron gains appeal.

Mine stays on the road. I want it to last forever so I treat delicately. But I'm sure it would probably be fine offroad because mr T

I’m pretty sure mine has never been offroad. It’s essentially a one owner from the east Bay Area. After I got it home, I spent some time wiping down 247k worth of grime from the undercarriage.

I don’t think this thing has never seen gravel, rocks, snow, or salt. Pretty sure it was just a family hauling rig from the central valley to the bay. This is why you buy a West Coast Landcruiser:

View attachment 2626571

View attachment 2626572

View attachment 2626573

View attachment 2626574

View attachment 2626575
Bloody Hell, I thought mine was clean. Most of the remaining crud is due to the previous owners being driveshaft greasing zealots.

I own a 91 LC. I should have no problem worrying about how much my rig is worth. 91, 92 is exempt from hipster money.

Unless I swap in a LS 👎

I own a 91 LC. I should have no problem worrying about how much my rig is worth. 91, 92 is exempt from hipster money.

Unless I swap in a LS 👎
You haven't checked adds lately than ;) 🤷‍♂️

Really? Don't they know how under powered they are, bad breaks, semi float rear axle....I could keep going!

Oh well. Once I get my latest project going I will drive it for what I need. Not for sale so price does not matter.

On a side note. An old timer in my neighborhood has a 70s bronko 2 that looks bone stock. He keeps it in his garage under a tarp. Based on bAt he is probably sitting on a 30k++ rig and may not know it. I've always wanted to strike up a conversation and ask him the story about his bronko.

Really? Don't they know how under powered they are, bad breaks, semi float rear axle....I could keep going!

Oh well. Once I get my latest project going I will drive it for what I need. Not for sale so price does not matter.

On a side note. An old timer in my neighborhood has a 70s bronko 2 that looks bone stock. He keeps it in his garage under a tarp. Based on bAt he is probably sitting on a 30k++ rig and may not know it. I've always wanted to strike up a conversation and ask him the story about his bronko.
Two things; old cars are what they are which is what they were when they were produced X number of years ago which makes them interesting because they are different than the cookie cutter bunk being forced on us today. A Model T can’t get with your 80 but it’s pretty damn cool anyway.

The Bronco 2 was puked onto the market in 1983 for 84 and wouldn’t be worth its weight in bat guano at this point.

You could point out deficiencies in all of these old 4wds that are commanding top dollar in the collector car market these days - market is still hot for them though.
Re: the early 80 series, I’ve always been a fan of the cloth seats, clear windows, etc. - that’s why I went back to one. Always regretted selling the last one. Is it slow? Yep, but are you looking for speed in a 30 year old 4wd?

Two things; old cars are what they are which is what they were when they were produced X number of years ago which makes them interesting because they are different than the cookie cutter bunk being forced on us today. A Model T can’t get with your 80 but it’s pretty damn cool anyway.

The Bronco 2 was puked onto the market in 1983 for 84 and wouldn’t be worth its weight in bat guano at this point.
Sorry. Not a bronco 2 then. It is the older one, cool one, better one. I don't know my broncos at all!

This one is burnt orange with a white top. Very good looking.

Sorry. Not a bronco 2 then. It is the older one, cool one, better one. I don't know my broncos at all!

This one is burnt orange with a white top. Very good looking.
The 66 to 77 are the good ones, as a young man I had two a 73 and then a few years later a 77 both were excellent uncut examples. The first one I got for 2k had it a few years when a guy knocked on my door and wanted to buy it I said it"s not for sale he said name you price thinking I would get rid of him I said 5k cash that was huge money in the early 80s he came back a hour later with the cash, being a man of my word I had to sale it to him. I Learned a valuable lesson that day. A few years later I found a clean 77 for 5k and was hole once again this one was even better had power steering and Power disc brakes small block V-8 and an automatic.
Then the kids started popping out and with no rear doors and car seats the wife said it had to go.
I wish I still had both of them Especially sense clean example Go for 75K these days.
Ford invented the the coil Sprung solid axle with control alarms suspension that is employed on the 80 series. And was at the forefront of off-road racing in the early 70s and 80s with Said suspension.
The Bronco ll was nothing like the early offering it was basically a Ford ranger SUV.
rant over!!

Last edited:
The 66 to 77 are the good ones, as a young man I had two a 73 and then a few years later a 77 both were excellent uncut examples. The first one I got for 2k had it a few years when a guy knocked on my door and wanted to buy it I said it"s not for sale he said name you price thinking I would get rid of him I said 5k cash that was huge money in the early 80s he came back a hour later with the cash, being a man of my word I had to sale it to him. I Learned a valuable lesson that day. A few years later I found a clean 77 for 5k and was hole once again this one was even better had power steering and Power disc brakes small block V-8 and an automatic.
Then the kids started popping out and with no rear doors and car seats the wife said it had to go.
I wish I still had both of them Especially sense clean example Go for 75K these days.
Ford invented the the coil Sprung solid axle with control alarms suspension that is employed on the 80 series. And was at the forefront of off-road racing in the early 70s and 80s with Said suspension.
The Bronco ll was nothing like the early offering it was basically a Ford ranger SUV.
rant over!!
Ok. This one has the odd rear wheel arches that I think you refer to as uncut.

I always wanted one of the early 70s broncos. Oh well. In another life.

I have one to be pretty and one to be dirty
.....So a lady for the streets & a freak for the......well - dirt.

(couldn’t think of a rhyme for ’sheets’ = dirt/rocks)

—————————————

I’ve had 3 80’s - all were/are ‘97s :

I pity whoever got the LX450.
—————
The sage 40th AE was only locked by me 3-4 times & was mostly due to sloggy fields/towing a small trailer. ~360K but had a @powderpig HG done 40K prior to me buying.
Whoever has it now, it was nice for 360K -no rust.

I just realized one day it was a Bronzit-colored 80 (BMW E30 color, a joke in the E30 world) - and I traded it in on the Tundra.
—————
Black 80 sees it all, but nothing like the 450 - I’m keeping it nice & will probably never sell, unless/until I go 200.
-Very few scuffs on the paint & the grey int is damn near perfect.
Too many hrs spent getting it dialed, so it’ll be a dark day if I do go 200 - but the 3UR is a motor/brakes that handle towing my boat.

I have a Nightshadow that is reserved for me when the elderly couple who owns, sells. Already negotiated & I even do minor service for them / swing by with fresh seafood as I use their neighbor’s dock for my boat.
- (how we each saw each other’s 80s)

My sister will get whichever 80 I surrender, as she loves them but never finds a nice one when she’s shopping cars. (she doesn’t sit & wait like alot of us)

Ok, so this thread shamed me into going out to do some dirt this weekend. Ran the 80 and my DRZ out to Barnwell Mountain this weekend. I scouted trails with the bike to make sure I wasn't getting in over my head, and then ran the 80 out there. Ended up following the wrong group of Toyotas and didn't see us take the wrong turn and end up on some stuff that my inexperienced self was pretty scared of. Thankfully they included me in their group and spotted for me till I could find my way back out to camp. :D

So, I'm no longer eligible for this thread. Hopefully this might encourage others to seek ways to make themselves ineligible as well.

DSC01097-XL.jpg

PXL_20210404_155502272.MP-XL.jpg

A few of my favorite pictures from the last time I took her off-road. If you are from AZ or familiar with the area this is near Sugar Loaf which is near Sycamore Creek. A few months after these pictures a car that caught fire on Highway 87 on the side of the road caused a wildfire that burnt over 500k acres and Sycamore was an affected area.

Obviously anywhere I go my Dutch Shepherd Belgian Malinois is with me.

sycamorecreek5.JPG

sycamorecreek3.JPG

sycamorecreek2.JPG

silly kona.jpg

I do a lot off road. Whether running the dogs in the New Mexico washes or trails in Colorado. I scrape a lot of trees and brushes on some of the trails. Still have to fix my power antenna since I forgot to put it down in time...stupid juniper trees😂. The raptor liner helped with stopping scratches on the lower half. It’s my DD with 160k and ain’t no mall crawler...though some mall crawlers sure are purty.

82F91AB4-E451-421D-96A6-8882E9F69C1A.jpeg

B9D91292-D3FA-4709-BB4A-D6EFB2D0D9BC.jpeg

B30B8FF2-5F8F-4D36-90A8-A6F00898D7DA.jpeg

51307D3F-D733-414F-8E92-1AAE940EB54D.jpeg

With the influx of new boutique owners and the prices being paid these days, can't say I blame you. I wouldn't go offroad either. Trucks like this should only be used to drive down to the local Sephora to pick out matching nail polish with the wife 💅 💄

A few years ago these would have sold for $8-15k. It's all Joe Rogan's fault.

2ium9wah.png

Wow. Mine is very similar to that. Or would be if I polished it. And there was me worrying that I might have paid too much for it

OK. The very first weekend I had it I drove it out to my farm. (several miles of dirt roads) broken tail light, trashed bumpers, California expired plates, faded paint. It was great!!!! I felt like a cowboy!!! It hasn't even seen rain since:)

2A1EE9E2-E705-4B03-985B-EEE4EB0D4929.jpeg

Kept the faded paint, but all else is perfect:)
474517A6-B0C3-4FCD-850D-92565C20780A_1_201_a.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom