who manufactures 80s toyota aluminum rims? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mine are chrome too, but if there really forged, i would like to powder coat them black(not to fond of chrome)I have black steelies on them now and there friggin heavy.

mine are chrome too, but if there really forged, i would like to powder coat them black(not to fond of chrome)I have black steelies on them now and there friggin heavy.
sell them and then buy the non-chromed

Just got mine back from the powder coater today. They look brand new. Years of Nebraska winters were not good to the finish. Can't wait to get them mounted tomorrow!

well, as you all saw in an earlier post onr of mine cracked which i have never heard of happening.

For what its worth. Toyota has a plant in Richmond BC where they make their aluminum rims for all their markets.
Canadian Autoparts Toyota, Inc. (CAPTIN)

Hey Bruce. Pretty close, but they are in Delta. I only know this because they were in the local paper for some awards for environmental innovation in industry. Matt in our club also does some work there once in a while.

Antor,

"If they're forged.."? Um, not to put too fine a point on it but generally the info here is pretty solid. They're forged.

As to weight, not true. In nearly all cases, Toyota's alloy wheels are heavier than their equivalent steel wheels.

As to the 'another brand stamp mark' on these and other alloys I'm only guessing here but does it look like an interlocking JWL? If so, it is a mark indicating the alloy wheels pass the Japanese Wheel League standards - one of the highest strength standards in the world. This league was formed in the 60s when the daughter of an executive was involved in a serious accident due to failure of the (then new) technology in her vehicle's alloy wheels. The purpose was to ensure it never happened again and all Japanese auto makers signed a pact their alloys would forever meet this standard and cast the mark on their wheels.

That is all.

DougM

Wit 'till the chrome starts peeling around the edges and then we'll talk. :D

-Spike
Yeah, I know. But it has been 10 years and I have only seen one start to go before I replaced it.

Ultimately I would like to have some 17" wheels with the same width though at the same time I would like to keep the chromed, basic stock look. Maybe in the future, we'll see how it goes. I would probably have to give up the stock wheel pattern.

Last edited:
Close Doug, it's JWL, Japan Light Alloy Wheel, the Cruiser and truck wheels also pass and are stamped JWL-T, Japan Light Alloy Wheel Truck & Bus.

http://www.jawa.jp/en/objective.html

IIRC the alloys are about half the weight, but stronger.

Prime used to manufacture wheels for LCs. I bought 2 several years back.

chrome cancer

Wit 'till the chrome starts peeling around the edges and then we'll talk. :D

-Spike
I'm cryin' all the way to the powder coater...if there were any other color besides black to coat them...what would you suggest? Graphite?
chrome cancer.JPG

This is what the wheel markings look like. (Thanks for the link Tools and thanks to Doug for the history lesson.)

obj_logo02.gif
and
obj_logo03.gif

-B-

Last edited:
You could powder coat them white...

I just used a can of Wal-Mart semi gloss black on mine, a buck a can, way cheaper than powdercoat and easy to touch up.

Gotta find some way to strip off the chrome. I don't know for sure but I could swear I heard that it can be done, but probably involves a process not do-able at home.

-Spike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom