Who makes OEM Brake Pads, Advics Sumitomo Aisin Akebono? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hornd

SILVER Star
Threads
If Beck-Arnely pads are provided by Sumitomo or Advics (Both Toyota Family Companies) they are likely the same supplier as OEM.

Based on this info from Autoparts Warehouse:

Highlights
  • Note: Sumitomo or Advics
  • Series: Beck Arnley Foreign Branded
  • Material: Organic
  • Product Fit: Direct Fit
  • Quantity Sold: 2-Wheel Set
  • Recommended Use: OE Replacement
  • Anticipated Ship Out Time: 1-2 Business Days
  • Asbestos Free: Yes
  • Notes: Sumitomo or Advics
  • Warranty: 1 year or 12,000-mile Beck Arnley limited warranty
Year Make Model Submodel Engine Fit Note
1993-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Base 6 Cyl 4.5L Pad Mfg. Sumitomo Or Advics

Then the cost:

RockAuto

This makes them about 1/3 price of OEM.

Wish I had a pair of OEM to compare to and see if pad material looks the same.

I have the Hawks on now. Picked them up for a little over $40 and they seem to work well, but I stop it in the same distance it takes me to get up to speed.

Brake pads are not where I'd choose to save money on a vehicle as (by current standards) as marginally braked as the FZJ80. Frankly, you're talking a tank of gas at most.

My Toyota pads are marked sumitomo fwiw

I don't disagree with what your thought process.

Not to hijack, because I think you have your answer

But I've wondered about a thing. When we buy OEM pads, are we buying 20 year old pad material technology? I mean is Toyota keeping up with advances in pad materials and ordering runs with new materials?

I'm not saying go cheap on pads, but I'm wondering if high end Akebono's or EBC or the like isn't a better option? In terms of pad and rotor life and braking power. Probably something we should have asked @cruiserdan before he retired.

I'm pretty sure the pads cross reference to newer vehicles. The rears I think are also FJ Cruiser rear pads.

You can run 100 Series Front pads on an 80, but they make a little finger nail of brake liner that you have to sand off with 80 grit sand paper.

Last edited:
Beck/Arnley 089-1502 Rear Original Equipment Brake Pads

Accepted offer: $15.00
iconAdviceGreenCheck.jpg
You made a deal and saved 24% against the asking price!

Guess I will be reporting out.
If I dislike them I will thrown them thru the window of a Jeep and call it good.

Brake pads are not where I'd choose to save money on a vehicle as (by current standards) as marginally braked as the FZJ80. Frankly, you're talking a tank of gas at most.

If you don't mind throwing money away I can send my Paypal Address.

I'd just say that I balance my skepticism of marketing claims with knowledge that health and safety related items are worth a few extra dollars over the lowest bidder, especially when the cost differential relative to other things I choose to spend money on is so small.

Am I going to buy Mr. T's bearings or spark plugs when I can get the the same thing from Mr. T's supplier for 1/2 the cost? Of course not. I'm buying a product, not a box.

Some items are commodities. Others, I believe there's a differential that makes it worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
I've had great successs running autozone gold 100 series pads on my 94.

Just bought brand new front pads from the dealer.. clearly marked Aisin on the backing plate. LX450 part, not sure if there's a difference btn that and LC

The pads arrived and there was 2 pads in the package.
Sent picture to seller and he refunded full amount including shipping.
The included information was clearly in Japanese.
I will post up a pic and see if Manufacturer can be determined.
I'm guessing Sumitomo, Advics, or Akebono.

It is unlikely toyota will update their standards on parts as brake pad technology progresses so you are buying 20 year old brake pad even if it was made yesterday. I would rather check out the new premium pads from reputable vendors.

Last edited:
I would disagree it like a older tire produce today they use what's avilble now also rember the 80 seris was produced till 2008 not sure if same pads are used but that still less then 10 years there is options also when buying over counter at Toyota not sure on the 80 I have had good results with advics an 2nd akebonos 3rd soft the dealer ones I think raisin cont recall stay away from lifetime warranty to hard on the rotor warp them but beefy on 80 just my thought an what ive seen

I would disagree it like a older tire produce today they use what's avilble now also rember the 80 seris was produced till 2008 not sure if same pads are used but that still less then 10 years there is options also when buying over counter at Toyota not sure on the 80 I have had good results with advics an 2nd akebonos 3rd soft the dealer ones I think raisin cont recall stay away from lifetime warranty to hard on the rotor warp them but beefy on 80 just my thought an what ive seen

:cheers: to day Drinking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom