Who Makes a Reliable Rear CV Drive Shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wondering who provides a strong, short, double cardan rear driveshaft for an FJ-40?

I just broke my double cardan rear driveshaft (FJ-40) in the middle of the Rubicon last week. Fortunately for me, some generous wheelers shortened a stock Toy driveshaft, and rewelded to get me off the trail and home.

What I found out was pretty disappointing. The failure originated on the U-Joint yoke closest to the transfer case. The yoke cracked around one of the U-joint caps and also through the flange bolt holes. So.......the entire cardan joint will require replacement. This particular cardan uses Spicer 1310 U-Joints, and I would like to get something that will take a little more punishment.

Who do you recommend for a 19", double cardan, rear driveshaft on a SOA FJ-40 with 35" tires, lockers, SBC Chevy, SM-465, Toybox, and 3-speed Toy T/C?

Comments appreciated.

Don
Pleasanton, Ca

Last edited:
I am a fan of the Toyota CV (found on FJ60 fronts)... I have used them in numerous setups... Check a local wrecking yard and get it lengthened/shortened to fit... :D

i run a toy pickup front shaft modded to fit my fo-d

nuclearlemon said:
i run a toy pickup front shaft modded to fit my fo-d

Those work great too, they don't have as much angle available (through the CV end) but most Cruisers don't need the extra couple degrees and it can be easily modifies if needed. Minitruck ones are probably alot easier to score too!

yeppers...minitruck CV's....

1310's are not up to rear shaft use....

Call Jessie-

530-877-2875

http://www.highangledriveline.com/

1350 CV....you will not break it.

Does awsome work and is topps for customer service.

(He is shipping me a spare 1350 CV rear driveshaft to Chimney Canyon 4x4 in the Black Hills, should be there before I get there on Friday!)

Jess it THE MAN!

Thank you guys for your comments. I know that my broken shaft was overstressed, but I also know that if I continue wheeling, it will happen again because I'm really not that aggressive with the throttle. I do need bigger stuff. Again........I thank you all.

Don
Pleasanton, Ca

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom