Who Makes a Rear Differential Skid Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched the forum and the web, but could not seem to find anyone who makes a rear differential skid plate for the 100 series (mine is a 1999). I just got back from an awesome Cal4wd Sierra Poker Run where we ran Brewer Lake and Bald Mountain. Came back with a bunch of scrapes on my diff housing and I'm looking for armor to add there. I couldn't seem to find anyone who makes rear diff armor for the 100 series.

So I ask the collective . . . . . . does no one make it b/c the 100 series rear diff is so tough and doesn't need it? Or is there someone who does and I haven't found them yet.

I searched the forum and the web, but could not seem to find anyone who makes a rear differential skid plate for the 100 series (mine is a 1999). I just got back from an awesome Cal4wd Sierra Poker Run where we ran Brewer Lake and Bald Mountain. Came back with a bunch of scrapes on my diff housing and I'm looking for armor to add there. I couldn't seem to find anyone who makes rear diff armor for the 100 series.

So I ask the collective . . . . . . does no one make it b/c the 100 series rear diff is so tough and doesn't need it? Or is there someone who does and I haven't found them yet.
Probably fine without it

This is the only one I've seen, and it looks to be pick up only.

But it won't work with an OEM electric locker, which I believe most 99 models have.

Seems like if you're hitting something hard enough to crack or pierce the diff housing (which is pretty thick cast? steel), a thin skid plate isn't going to save you. If you're just worried about dragging it across something, there's plenty of meat on the housing to not worry about that, in my opinion.

There are plenty of places to beef up a 100. The rear third isn't one of them. Could (and have) dropped the whole truck on the thing with no dramas. Now, adding armor to the relatively thin sheetmetal covering the ring gear...totally different story...though it doesn't sound like you're needing it yet.

This is the only one I've seen, and it looks to be pick up only.

But it won't work with an OEM electric locker, which I believe most 99 models have.
Holy crap! I was just in Baytown yesterday. I wish I had seen this a few days ago.

That looks sort of promising- I’ve seen a few for 80’s that I thought should fit 100- but they had been inobtanium for 2yrs.

Cracking the housing shouldn’t be a concern but for anyone who runs rocks I can see these benefits: protects the flange, yoke, drain and lower front facing carrier studs that can get rounded off.

That looks sort of promising- I’ve seen a few for 80’s that I thought should fit 100- but they had been inobtanium for 2yrs.

Cracking the housing shouldn’t be a concern but for anyone who runs rocks I can see these benefits: protects the flange, yoke, drain and lower front facing carrier studs that can get rounded off.
Agreed. I took out a big chunk of my flange on Upper Swimming Hole at Katemcy Rocks.

This one was made by Ballistic for the 80- but NLA

ballistic_prod-4-1-18_720x.jpg

Holy crap! I was just in Baytown yesterday. I wish I had seen this a few days ago.

I’m not in Baytown, but I’m closer than Austin. If it came down to it, I could probably help transport one to the Austin area, on my next family visit, if needed.

Thanks for all the info and offers to help! Unfortunately none of those fit a 1999 with a rear e locker ….. so looks like I’m out of luck for now.

I don't think it's needed for most people. Plus you lose ground clearance.

I would have agreed not needed thill last weekend!
I've ran those trails and more difficult ones over the years. My rear diff housing is fine. The drain plug takes a bit of work or you can siphon from the filler plug (less desirable but acceptable). The area of concern is the backside of the diff but it's protected by the sway bar.

IMG_3945.JPG

I’m not in Baytown, but I’m closer than Austin. If it came down to it, I could probably help transport one to the Austin area, on my next family visit, if needed.
Appreciate it. I'll probably be back down there in a few months.

I've ran those trails and more difficult ones over the years. My rear diff housing is fine. The drain plug takes a bit of work or you can siphon from the filler plug (less desirable but acceptable). The area of concern is the backside of the diff but it's protected by the sway bar.

View attachment 3110406
Thanks hoser for the sage advice. This is the kind of first hand know how I was looking for from this forum!

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom