Builds Who likes addition? (FJ-60 + 1HZ) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DanS HJ-45

SILVER Star
Threads
So, what do you get when you add the following together?

body 1.jpg

body 2.jpg

and...

1hz 1.jpg

and...

ff axle before.jpg

I'm pretty sure you get awesome. But I'm not sure. So I'm going to find out. ;)

But enough talk. I haven't wrenched much for the past couple of months, since finishing Dad's 60 (with the 12HT).

I'm starting with the axles.

ff rebuild 1.jpg

This time the parts fairy didn't come. I went to visit the Shaman.
ff rebuild 2.jpg

The parts were stripped to bare metal, and then primed in self etching primer...
ff rebuild 3.jpg

ff rebuild 4.jpg

Now time for paint.
ff rebuild 5.jpg

ff rebuild 6.jpg

Talk about a "First World Cruiserhead Problem:" I don't have a chassis/satin power coat that matches the paint. So the powder coated backing plates don't match the axle housings and hub. I know, it's a rough life. ;)
ff rebuild 7.jpg

So how about that body? Just what kind of shape is it in?

body 3.jpg
body 4.jpg

You'll notice that the front door doesn't match. That's because it's the one door that was missing. But I've got two pristine FJ-62 doors (and this is one of them). Not a huge deal, since I'm planning on repainting the truck anyway, and the one thing I wish my 60 had was power windows (since I can't reach the passenger window crank). Problem solved!
body 5.jpg
body 6.jpg
body 7.jpg

We pulled the fenders into the shop, to start stripping them down and stuff, and while they were handy, I figured I might as well get busy installing the snorkel.

I LOVE my snorkel on the faux-lux. Dropped my EGT by a solid 50 degrees, which means a lot for me. Every time I come back from town I climb 3,000 feet, and the last 2 miles to our property (whenever I get a house built--hopefully starting that project about this time next year) goes up another 900 feet. So the snorkel for me is pretty much a requirement, just to help keep the engine cooler.

When I installed the snorkel on the faux-lux, I did it in my sister's driveway with a hole saw. That was a lot of work, and took a lot of work with a file to make it come out clean. This time I used the plasma cutter, and 15 minutes later I had a beautiful hole that is nice and clean.
snorkel 1.jpg

Drilled the holes for the mounting studs.
snorkel 4.jpg

snorkel 2.jpg
snorkel 3.jpg

All of the pics so far come from the past two days of work. I've got another two before I have to head back home and to work, but I'm hoping to get the axles done, mounted under the body, and haul the body down to the shop so that we can start with some of the body work it needs. Mostly it needs to be stripped down, and prepared for a respray. Also need to remove the motor mounts, and generally clean up the frame.

The other job is to get the 1HZ running. It's got good compression, and makes great oil pressure. I haven't gotten it to start, and I suspect the IP has an issue. So I want to pull my other 1HZ IP off (yes, I have a total of 3 1HZ, two of which are slightly incomplete, but I've got an IP on one of them) and get it rebuilt to get this engine running. If I can do that, then I'll do the BEBs, and get busy mounting the engine in the frame (I've got a set of Georg's awesome mounts).

I'm hoping I can get all of that done before I have to leave for home/work. I don't have a schedule for May yet, but my schedule is pretty full until Cruise Moab, so it'll likely be after that before I can get back to this project. I of course hope that I could go as fast on this as I did on Dad's 60, but I'm doubting that will be possible.

Couple questions (helpful if you've done this before):
  • I'm tempted to put louvers in the hood on the right side, above and behind the turbo to let the head out. Good idea? I'm assuming that the IDI 1HZ plus a turbo (I didn't mention it, but I've got a turbo for this too) has the ability to get toasty, and a little venting of the hood above and behind the turbo should help airflow through the radiator. Good idea, or silly to put a hole in the top of the hood for water to come through?
  • I will fit a locker in the rear axle. I'm thinking ARB at this point, just because Toyota E-Lockers are pretty pricey. But I'd love an E-Locker instead, since the major purpose of the locker is to help me get through one drift on my driveway (it gets bad if we're not home for a while after a snow). I can't find an Eaton E-Locker for the cruiser, am I missing something?
  • Once the body is painted, I'll put on sliders and a rear bumper. For sliders it looks like White Knuckle and 4x4Labs are the only games in town nowadays. Am I missing any?
  • I'm thinking 4x4Labs for the rear bumper (the kit version, naturally) because I don't mind welding it together, and I want some quarter panel protection (did you see those beautiful quarter panels?!?!). On Dad's truck I put together one of Fourrunner's kits (see the vendor section), and while I really like the bumper, it looks like a lot more work to add quarter protection than I want on this truck. Any options that I'm missing?
  • Pretty sure that I'm going to put in a Webasto (or similar) coolant heater, since I'll use it as a daily driver, but one problem I often have is coming home in the winter to a really cold vehicle, and having once ALMOST not gotten the faux-lux started (when it was so incredibly cold the battery just had a hard time dealing with the 3+ weeks I had been gone)--plus it's be super nice coming home to wa warmed up truck. Is there room in a 60 with a 1HZ for a Webasto? Any good places to mount one?

Here's the thread for Guzzler (our FJ-60): https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/best-gift-ever-yep-an-84-fj-60-for-us.437900/. Once I have this truck with the 1HZ and most of the work done, I'll drive Guzzler down, and swap over the important stuff from Guzzler (like the OME suspension, my ABS plastic interior panels, etc...). Then I'll see if there's enough pieces left to make Guzzler a stock-ish drivable 60, and see if anyone wants to buy it. Otherwise, I'll part it out.

That's it for now.

Dan

X2

This is gonna be awesome to watch, a lot of work and heaps of rewards

I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

You can't hate me. I'm too cute. :D

Can't wait to see the progress senor.

I went to visit the Shaman again today to pick up the rest of this good stuff.

When I got home, I put the brakes together.
ff rebuild 8.jpg

ff rebuild 9.jpg

I think I post pics of pretty much this same exact thing about once or twice a year. Still doesn't get old. All this relatively clean stuff (relatively--because the 40 was more perfect than this, as will be my 45), new stuff where it counts, and nice new grease. Love it.

I was also at the junkyard.
Among other things, I snagged the air cleaner housing from an FJ-62, and coupled it to my diesel air cleaner lid.

Bolts right up, the way Mr. T. intended!
air cleaner 1.jpg

air cleaner 2.jpg

I also got the throttle pedal and cable assembly, rear axle brake line (to replace the one that was dinged on this axle), and a few other odds and ends.

Dan

I'm tempted to put louvers in the hood on the right side, above and behind the turbo to let the head out. Good idea? I'm assuming that the IDI 1HZ plus a turbo (I didn't mention it, but I've got a turbo for this too) has the ability to get toasty, and a little venting of the hood above and behind the turbo should help airflow through the radiator. Good idea, or silly to put a hole in the top of the hood for water to come through?

Water will never be an issue with any toy old school diesel engine .. I have a huge hood scoop and I also raise the back of my hood to help the heat soak, altho I only have a humble turboed 2H ..

I will fit a locker in the rear axle. I'm thinking ARB at this point, just because Toyota E-Lockers are pretty pricey. But I'd love an E-Locker instead, since the major purpose of the locker is to help me get through one drift on my driveway (it gets bad if we're not home for a while after a snow). I can't find an Eaton E-Locker for the cruiser, am I missing something?

TJM pro locker it's another option in the selectable lockers department ..

This is going to be sweet! That happens to be my favorite color for 60 series.

Hate to break it to you, but it's getting repainted a different color. I already have two blue Toyotas. :grinpimp:

Buttoned up the axle today.
ff rebuild 10.jpg

ff rebuild 11.jpg

I couldn't help myself. Brackets needed powder coating! (That's "Pewter")
ff rebuild 12.jpg

An then, on my way to the airport so that I could head back to work to make some money to support this habit, we stopped at the junkyard and picked up some seats.

PT Cruiser Seats. I understand they nearly bolt right in, and there's two things I really like here:
  1. The driver's seat is electrically adjustable vertically. I like to sit high when wheeling.
  2. The driver's arm rest.
Not bad for $60, eh?

seats 1.jpg

seats 2.jpg

Now, these WILL get recovered, to not look so "PT Cruiser-ey" with all the bubbly shapes. The 60 is more or less square, so it needs square lines to look right. Dad says the headrests are interchangeable with Tacoma headrests, and likely all other vehicles (it's probably an NHTSA requirement, like the SAE bolts for the seat belts), which is good, because those head rests look silly to me.

Anything in particular I should do to deactivate the side impact airbags in these seats? The wiring harness is already cut, but I'm thinking I'll just cut the whole harness off, to make it even safer.

On the 1HZ I removed the fuel cutoff solenoid, and put some Kroil in the plunger there, to see if that was why the IP wouldn't deliver fuel before. The plunger came out easily, and there was liquid fuel in the IP, so I doubt it's gelled up in there. Will see next time I'm home if this helps.

Unfortuantely, that's all for this week. I probably won't be back until just before Cruise Moab, but if I have time left after getting the two trucks (Dad's 40, and his 60) ready to go, I should get the axles under the body, and get it into the shop to start messing with it, and prepping for paint.

Dan

:popcorn:

Two things:
1-I didn't know you had guzzler and another fj60
2-why are you working on a 60 before working on the 45?

Okay, three things:
3-you got a full floating rear axle housing but it wasn't locked?

...via IH8MUD app

Two things:
1-I didn't know you had guzzler and another fj60

Yep. It's not much more than a spotless body and frame, but that's all I wanted anyway. That way I can avoid doing bodywork!

I work much faster when I don't have rust to repair.

2-why are you working on a 60 before working on the 45?

Because it's a shorter project. And, because I really need to work on rebuilding the 1HZ for the 45 first. To do that, I need to haul one of them up to CO to rebuild it in the garage. Dual track projects!

Okay, three things:
3-you got a full floating rear axle housing but it wasn't locked?

Yep. So did Dad, it's under his 60 now. I also have one for my 45. Late model (read: parking brake) 40 series FF. Also, completely common parts between the two of them. And, at this point, I'm getting practiced at rebuilding them. Could do it in an easy half day if I chose not to repaint or powder coat anything.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom