Who Knows the AZ. Emissions requirements (1 Viewer)

Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
153
I am about to start on my Fj55 build up and before I commit to keeping the 2f powerplant I was wondering if anyone has transplanted a SBC into a 1975 or later rig and what emission hassles you encountered. My Fj55 is a 1979 with a emissions complete 2f I would much rather run a SBC but I know that after 1974 they are more stringent on inspections. My '74 Fj40 with 383 SBC only had to pass the idle test with no visual underhood inspection. I was told 1974 was the cut off year for no underhood inspections. So if anyone is running a SBC in a post 1975 rig can you chime in and tell me exactly what you had to run/do to visually pass emissions. I am in Tucson and we have to get emissioned so just don't tell me you don't need it where you're at 'cuz that's just rubbing it in. Thanks.
 

re_guderian

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
4,877
Location
Arizona
I think your best bet is to get ahold of someone at the AZ Department of Enviornmental Quality (DEQ) that really knows what they're talking about. This may not be easy. Years ago I tried calling about some non-CARB certified headers for my FJ60, and it took a lot of messages/phone-tag/call backs to get ahold of someone qualified to answer the question...
 

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
2,657
Location
AZ
Website
zot-art.com
tfdcruiser said:
I am about to start on my Fj55 build up and before I commit to keeping the 2f powerplant I was wondering if anyone has transplanted a SBC into a 1975 or later rig and what emission hassles you encountered. My Fj55 is a 1979 with a emissions complete 2f I would much rather run a SBC but I know that after 1974 they are more stringent on inspections. My '74 Fj40 with 383 SBC only had to pass the idle test with no visual underhood inspection. I was told 1974 was the cut off year for no underhood inspections. So if anyone is running a SBC in a post 1975 rig can you chime in and tell me exactly what you had to run/do to visually pass emissions. I am in Tucson and we have to get emissioned so just don't tell me you don't need it where you're at 'cuz that's just rubbing it in. Thanks.

77 FJ40 with SBC passes every time if I have the following:
Tune the carb to very lean idle.
Have a functioning air pump and diverter valve system.
Functional fuel evaporative system (carbon canister, gas cap seal in good condition).
PCV valve
Crankcase breather hooked to air filter.
Fortunately 77 had no cat converters. Your 79 may be required to have them.

In a nutshell, they don't care what engine it is. They have a list of required emissions equipment for your vehicle. If it's all there and "appears" to be functioning ;) you pass the visual test. They'll take it for a loaded run sniff test on the dyno and then an idle sniff test. If your engine is in good condition and tuned properly, you'll pass

You can call the Arizona DEQ and get the list of equipment they will inspect to. 79 may have different components than 77 (cats). The people at the referee station can get the list too.
 

inkpot

SILVER Star
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
13,796
Location
All over Arizona
Cdaniel said:
77 FJ40 with SBC passes every time if I have the following:
Tune the carb to very lean idle.
Have a functioning air pump and diverter valve system.
Functional fuel evaporative system (carbon canister, gas cap seal in good condition).
PCV valve
Crankcase breather hooked to air filter.
Fortunately 77 had no cat converters. Your 79 may be required to have them.

In a nutshell, they don't care what engine it is. They have a list of required emissions equipment for your vehicle. If it's all there and "appears" to be functioning ;) you pass the visual test. They'll take it for a loaded run sniff test on the dyno and then an idle sniff test. If your engine is in good condition and tuned properly, you'll pass

You can call the Arizona DEQ and get the list of equipment they will inspect to. 79 may have different components than 77 (cats). The people at the referee station can get the list too.
Howdy! Basically, you need to have whatever the rig originally had when new. If it was originally a California spec model, then you need to match those requirements. I am pretty sure that all TLC's had cats by 1979. In addition to cats, I would think it would need PVC valve, EGR system, AIR system, and evaperative recovery system. Sounds like a lot, but not that bad. I have all but the cats on my Piggy. Usually passes no problem, and I do not even retune it, just a fresh oil change. Tuscon and Phoenix requirements are the same AFAIK. The smog techs always fuss over who gets to drive my rig for the load test, but they always end up with the supervisor coming over to do the final visual . I have never failed the visual yet, just the idle/load numbers a couple of times over the last 18 years. Always passes when I go back with a fresh tune up. John
 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
153
Hey thanks for the info. I actually have two fj55's one is a 78 and the other is a 79. I feel I will probably either keep the complete 2f from the 79 and transplant it into the 78 with the very good body. I just hate the thought of having to hook up all that emissions crap to a built SBC that I could get to pass the sniff test with nothing on it by just leaning it out a bit. My other option which I am now leaning towards is selling/trading both of these rigs for a decent 74 or older piggy. If this interests any one let me know you can look up pics under the Fj55 section under the search "Bought Two Piggies" . Thanks again.
 

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
2,657
Location
AZ
Website
zot-art.com
tfdcruiser said:
Hey thanks for the info. I actually have two fj55's one is a 78 and the other is a 79. I feel I will probably either keep the complete 2f from the 79 and transplant it into the 78 with the very good body. I just hate the thought of having to hook up all that emissions crap to a built SBC that I could get to pass the sniff test with nothing on it by just leaning it out a bit. My other option which I am now leaning towards is selling/trading both of these rigs for a decent 74 or older piggy. If this interests any one let me know you can look up pics under the Fj55 section under the search "Bought Two Piggies" . Thanks again.

Yep it sucks. I've got the air system on there and it does nothing but spin when I put the belt on each year. Carbon can plumbing routes to air.

Yet it passes no problem. What does that say about the usefulness of the mandatory equipment?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom