Who Holds Odometer Record for Original Engine FJ Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe there is a thread covering this but I was curious as to how many miles some owners have in their FJ40-55 series rigs with the original engine. I have heard of some of these going over 400,000 miles. I have 107,400 in my 69 FJ40.

Thanks for the link!! m

Tough to tell after the 40 changes hands a few times...The odo stops and restarts at 100,000...my gears in the transfer were worn out when I bought mine, and the speedo, and odo weren't working...My odometer was reading 40,000. Was that 40? 140? 240? More? How long had the gears been not working? Tough to tell on these old girls unless you have a first gen, or second gen owner who keeps great records on mileage.

I’ve owned my rig for 28+ years

I bought my cruiser with a factory replacement engine ... however... it had almost 200k on the replacement engine when I bought it ... drove it 240k+ In 17+ years as my dd

Drove from LI to Boston, Boston to VT countless times racking up 25k a year for many years

It was well over the 440k because I run 33” tires for most of that time ... figured it was someplace around 460’s - 470’s K on that engine

Compression was mostly dead on the middle two cylinders ... in the 30’s each ... did the compression test when I had owned it for maybe 5 years the numbers were something like 115?, 90’s, 30’s, 30’s, 90’s, 115?

I will need to look at my notebook ... we laughed and waited for it to die ... stupid engine never died

Ultimately replaced it with a 30k engine ... wife couldn’t take the leaks anymore at our new house lol

If I’m going to pull the engine to replace seals I might as well put in a 30k engine while doing so

There are Many 80 series owners well into 400-500 and I recall a 40 owner being at 540k several years ago

My truck is well into 500k at this point ... poor thing sure looks it as well :meh:

700K-- wow but I can believe it; you have to be kinda lucky as well to hit that rarified air!

Honestly I do not know why it’s lasted as long as it did... I did modernize it somewhat

Headers, electronic ign, weber (if you consider this modernization lol)

But other then that it was a neglected engine... (remember I was just waiting for it to die) one oil change a year ... it didn’t mater if it was 10k 5k or 25k between changes ... once a year

Cheap oil... cheap filter

One tune up a year ... didn’t mater if it were 5-25k... once a year ... cap, rotor, plugs, clean pcv and hose, clean air filter KN, fuel filter, time, adjust carb

At around 300k blowby was quite extensive... had air cleaner to valve cover hose as a downdraft tube... carb would get caked inside otherwise

Friend one time thought my truck was on fire because of the smoke from that tube that exited behind front fender :)

My truck has a job to do and it knows it ... it knows I give it what I can when I can and it will not let me down (mostly lol)

Or maybe it kepts going out of spite :meh:

:)

@cbmontgo are you sure it wasn’t a 60 series owner... I remember a guy from co with a 700+ 60 series

there are more 60 and 80 owners with high mileage as they are more road friendly ... you have to have that special type of wack job drive a 40 as a DD these days :)

How about the least miles? I’ve got 96,000km which is just under 60,000miles on my 55. She’s barely broken in!

How about the least miles? I’ve got 96,000km which is just under 60,000miles on my 55. She’s barely broken in!

I've got one with 4500 miles. Another one with a mid 60K range. I'm sure there are plenty of ranch cruisers with low miles. Dealer plow trucks that had very low miles that rusted away long before their time.

I've got one with 4500 miles. Another one with a mid 60K range. I'm sure there are plenty of ranch cruisers with low miles. Dealer plow trucks that had very low miles that rusted away long before their time.
Damn that’s crazy! How do you only get 4500?

My odometer reads just shy of 80,000. The condition of the body suggests that it might actually have 80,000 miles (Minimal rust) but as far as I can tell, it's on its fourth engine (it came with a 2F, was replaced with a 350 early on (maybe straight off the boat?), the 350 was replaced by a cammed 283, and now I'm putting in a new 350) and third transfer case that I know of. So when it comes to engines, the truck could have 180,000, 280,000, 380,000?

In short - no matter how you look at it, I'm out of the race, unless you'll allow me to enter my new, 0-mile crate 350 as a contestant ;). That said, I'm interested to see where this goes.

...very low miles that rusted away long before their time.

The 30k F.5 that I used was from a vermont 55 ... rusted very away ... you can find low mileage cruisers there that’s for sure... but... not too much left of them other then drive train

I think 4,500 has to a record for low miles!!!!! My FJ40 shows around 7,000 which I assumed was 107K. The owner told me he could make an argument that it was 7,500 miles and not 107K. He said the rig was sitting around the last 10 years and he did not think his brother (original owner) nor his son (second owner), drove it much. With all that said and although the pedals do not have much wear, I would take the over on a bet.

I have an original 77 2F that just rolled 87k. It took the last 20 years to go from 86 to 87k. When I bought the truck it had the last oil change on the windshield and it showed 1995.

My FJ40 came to me and the odo read around 85,000. The engine had been rebuilt and the rear corners had been replaced once, so I’ve always assumed that it was actually 185,000. Could have been 285,000, but that seems like a lot of miles for what seems to be an average 77 FJ40. I put 5,000 a year on it for 3-4 years, then less after that. Now it is stuck at 11,499.9 because the teeth are worn and it won’t turn over to 11,500.0. But hey, now I get free miles!

Most likely this 74’ is the lowest ... I looked into it... from the Japanese sites that talk about it... it’s under 100 miles ... some say it is even in the 20 range ... would really love to know

"TOYOTA 75"

40CA3AAC-FDAB-4552-AF85-F24F91F5EF93.jpeg

That has to be the under record---that is new car lot miles and, pretty clean machine (as it should be) from my vantage point. M

These FJ40's should have been equipped with "hour meters" in addition to an odometer. There is more to engine wear than miles ??? Ever consider traffic ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom