Who have you pulled out/been pulled out by? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was talking today with my dad, swapping stories of my idiot friends and having to pull out their trucks, and I was thinking...what all kinds of vehicles have you had to pull out with your Toyota? Weather it be stuck in the mud, on a hill, in the sand, etc.
Which brought me to my second thought, when you're stuck, who pulls you out? Have a designated "recovery friend" or just whoever's closest on the trail?

I just think it'd be interesting and I always enjoy reading other people's "stuck" stories. I'll start out with a few ones of my own...

Me pulling out:
So my buddy back in high school got a brand new F-150 King Ranch for his 16th birthday. He was one of those "Yeah I'm a redneck but I live on the nice part of town and don't know a lick about the outdoors" kinda kids. One day I have all my friends out at my farm, and we all go ride through the fields in my Land Cruiser and his truck. He ventures off for a few, which is fine. I hit some super muddy sections and barely don't get stuck (go lockers!). I find him and tell him to avoid that section. It's pretty dark now. I'm across the field and what do I see, his headlights spinning around doing donuts exactly where I told him not to. Then...they stop spinning, and just sit :bang:. We all just sit in my truck and watch. About 5 minutes of the head lights not moving, and my phone rings. "Hey, uh...I'm stuck"
So since it's pitch black out, we leave the truck there, and head back to the farm house for the night. We come back in the morning with our old tractor. This this is a beast, and we hook up to his Ford. Well, the tractor just starts doing wheelies and the truck doesn't budge. Hook up to the rear, and the tractor starts to bog down and almost get stuck itself. Crap. So I say just for kicks and giggles I'll yank on it with my Cruiser. Then, it moves a little bit. I keep going, and pull the sucker right out. Somehow I managed to outdo a very strong tractor and pull my buddy out. with my Land Cruiser. Yota FTW!

A "Aw crap, I'm stuck" story:
So my Cruiser has a reputation around town for being a total beast off road (we just have mud bogs around here, and it does pretty well). Because of this, anytime anyone is goin muddin, I get a call. One of my buddy's calls me and tells me this kid has "called me out" and says his Titan is sooo much better. So I meet up with them, and we do a few runs through the mud holes. Then he goes down this muddy trail, struggling the whole way. I breeze through it, showing off along the way. So then Karma comes and gets me back. I see a spot no one has driven through in what appears to be forever. So I'm like heck, I got that! Well, I almost had that. Muddy water was up to my door handles on the passenger side, and about a foot shallower on the driver side. I'm cruisin right through, and almost make it out, when I lose all traction. At this point, my front end is completely out of the mud, but I can't pull myself out. So I'm totally confused. Try backing up...can't move. Truck won't budge. So I hook up to that Titan, and he pulls me right out. Look around my truck to reveal a 2x4 that was cracked is sticking out of my passenger side rear tire. Don't have a clue how it got in the mud hole, but my tire is completely flat (and has a board sticking out of it...). Then it starts to pour down rain. So here I am, work in an hour and a half, in the rain in the woods, with a flat tire. We jack it up as fast as we can, and remove my spare. I just threw the old tire in the trunk (I always carry some drop cloths to avoid screwin up my interior, and slapped on the spare. I made it to work 5 minutes early. But I am confident that if there were no half a board in that mud, I would have made it right through

So in closing, I can recall pulling out an '05 F-150 King Ranch, '06 King Ranch, '97 Z71, Mid 80's bronco, '96 Ranger, '08 Ranger, an Excursion, H3, couple of Jeeps, and other random people that I have either come across in the woods or pulled out of ditches.

Only been pulled out by that Titan, the same '97 Z71 I pulled out, and a tow truck once when all else failed (a lifted Dodge yanked on me, two Z71's did, a Jeep did, and a Kabota did, all only to either get stuck themselves, or just fail altogether)
Whenever I get stuck, in my truck or a friend, I always call my dad first, because if he can't pull me out, he knows someone who can (he does construction and there's always someone with a big truck on a job site)

Last edited:
I have been pulled out by Bobby Long in a few different rigs.

And a log skidder on occasion.

There has been times i have pulled out other and there has been times others have pulled me out , the biggest i have pulled is a semi truck , in the US ya call them 18 wheelers here we call them semi's 22 wheels, one was stuck just spinning on the surface mabby down a couple of inches , a fergy tractor couldnt move him so while the tractor driver went to get a bigger tractor i moved in with me HJ45 and pulled him out and onto hard ground.

As for me getting stuck and needing a pull mates or passers by with 4x4s or tractors or think of a way to unstuck the thing, shovel and jack or chain and a decent branch and then twist the chain around and around to shorten the chain ( done it once wasnt good for the chain but got home for a feed on time )

There are 3 vehicles attached on the end of my line. With the last one being a 55 that was dead. Had to get him to the top of the hill. I had the only working winch.

Hahaha yeah Jeeps are the best because until they get stuck they are "the best offroad vehicles". I once stumbled on a wrangled that got stuck pulling out a stuck Cherokee. Yanked em out, only to drive right through their ruts

My best pull-out story was your... no no no...

Living in Auburn finds me surrounded by big ole Z71 mall crawlers. A friend called me to come pull a friend's out of an enourmous mud hole/field. I get there in Cattywampus, 91 FJ80, and a passenger of the Z71 starts razzing me about Catty not being 4wheel drive and it being a SUV not made for offroad. i say nothing. But instead, just start slowly driving ALL THE WAY around the stuck Z71 at about 2 mph to "survey" what I'm going to have to pull out. The mud was easily to my grill. A few other trucks had tried already, but it took only two tugs from Catty. The crowd that had gathered by this point loved the circling more than the pull-out.

here's one of my more famous "stucks" at the Bottom's in memphis, which may be the nastiest mud I've ever seen in my life. And I watch muddin every month at the local park:

YouTube - ‪Under The Bridge Tour 2008 UTBT - Eric Hagan 1991 FJ80‬‏

YouTube - ‪Under The Bridge Tour 2008 UTBT - Eric Hagan 1991 FJ80 #2‬‏

That was painful to watch!

That was painful to watch!

What? didn't like the 3 wheel motion? I loved every minute of it, especially when the entire driver side was laying in the mud.
This was one of two mudholes I didn't make it through the entire day of mudding... and it's the one Leo posts on youtube... jeebus.

couldnt make it up this waterfall with open diffs and 265/75/16 MTs. the 80 in this picture has 2.5-3" lift with 37s, locked both front and rear.

was running this trail with mostly jeeps
IMAG0358.jpg
IMAG0361.jpg
IMAG0363.jpg

Last edited:
I knew a trucker who pulled out to avoid a child

and fell off the couch.:p

Hahaha yeah gotta love all the pavement princesses... Off topic, but are you a student at Auburn, or just a resident? Good buddy of mine goes there, and I plan on transferring there next year.

I know what you mean about "oh that thing's not four wheel drive!" I get that a lot... Same day I got stuck and had the Titan pull me out, all these guys were standing next to one of their F-150's hating on my Land Cruiser and how it's "not made for off road." Well, about 15 feet from them was a huge mud puddle. So, to shut em up, I got they're pretty little F-150 pretty dirty with a wave of water. They all managed to dodge it. Shut them up for the day, especially after they watched my creep through the hole they got stuck in the previous week.
(Just as a side note, I'm not a total jerk, these guys are the ones that have been total a-holes their entire lives and treat everyone like crap. No one had the gonads to step up to em, so I shut em up).

Off topic, but are you a student at Auburn, or just a resident? Good buddy of mine goes there, and I plan on transferring there next year.

I'm 35. Went here in the 90's left and came back. It's an awesome place. We have a very tigh-nit group of offroaders here and it's all ages... old to college kids. We meet every Wednesday now. Given there is now an offroad park here and a handful within a few hours distance... it's a great place to be an offroader.

I almost had a chance to pull out Jose Canseco once in Anza Borrego during a rare flash flood, but another Hummer strapped him out without getting stuck. I had a good time talking with him out in the middle of nowhere. Hummers are not so good in mud.

I'm 35. Went here in the 90's left and came back. It's an awesome place. We have a very tigh-nit group of offroaders here and it's all ages... old to college kids. We meet every Wednesday now. Given there is now an offroad park here and a handful within a few hours distance... it's a great place to be an offroader.
Oh hahah my bad, but that's awesome to hear! Next time I visit my buddy I may have to make my trip be around one of yalls excursions. I've been down some trails by a creek with my friend in his old Z71 (his is far from a pavement princess lol...), and had a blast.

Hummers are not so good in mud.
Nope, they just sink down. I had to help push an H2 out of a ditch onetime...got his running boards hung up on something. Poor guy misjudged where the parking lot ended and the ditch started. (didn't have the Cruiser with me, and the only truck we had was a 2 wheel drive tacoma 4 banger with no rope...)

I lived in Seattle and was in the Tahuya forrest in my CJ and got stuck really bad. A Thai woman in a FJ40 pulled me out and I was hooked. Sold the CJ a year later and bought my FJ this year. Dont mean I wont get stuck but why take chances......plus I look better in a FJ and I need all the help I can get!

"Who have you pulled out/been pulled out by?"

You guys remember who you have pulled and who has pulled you?

I'd just have to say "A bunch of people" and "a bunch of people".

Mark...

"Who have you pulled out/been pulled out by?"

I'd just have to say "A bunch of people" and "a bunch of people".

Mark...
Looking at your avatar I'm guessing some have been more memorable than others. :lol:

The one that "sticks" in my mind is when I buried my 93 GMC 2500 to the frame in a mud hole out in the middle of BFE. I mostly remember this because of the tow bill, actually my wife wont let me forget. :lol::lol:

The other is when I pulled a built Dodge Power wagon out of a wash with my bone stock FJ40 back in the 70's. Something like is a real ego boost when your 19.

Looking at your avatar I'm guessing some have been more memorable than others. :lol:

I'd have to be honest and phrase it that "some days have sucked more than others"

Usually when it is someone else's rig the suckage factor is not too bad, even when the stuckage factor is. ;)

Mark...

Only the famous ones.

It goes without saying that I have been pulled out a bunch of times. If you haven't you aren't trying hard enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom