Who has more than 250k miles on original head gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Of course not....I don't have Xray freaking vision. It was noted when I removed the head and carefully inspected the head gasket.

I took a bunch of photos of it but all of those are being held hostage on Photobucket and I refuse to pay even more than I was paying before to get them back.
So it was running fine before you popped the head? Just wondering why you changed HG. Overheating, combustion gases in the rad, overfilling of the expansion tank, power loss, plugs carbonized, compression test, running rough, water in oil...

'94 with 285k miles, owned since ~253k. I have no reason to believe that my head gasket isn't original. Maybe I have the superior asbestos gasket. It worked for Popeye.

So it was running fine before you popped the head?
Dude...
My head gasket showed signs of deterioration at cylinders #1 and #6 at the time of failure.

It also happened to let go during an engine flush rather than when driving but it was on its way out....without question.
His head gasket blew after an engine flush and he was reporting the damage he saw when he replaced it.

292K on the original HG.

I am currently at 355K on original HG.

340k on what I believe to be the original gasket (can't say for sure, don't have complete maintenance history). No signs of imminent doom, but at this point I'm planning on pulling the motor to reseal everything (rear main leaks), valve job (burning a lot of oil), and will put in a brand spanking new head gasket at that time. The truck is still going strong, but my sense of mechanical empathy is telling me it's time for some R&R.

^^^ “mechanical empathy” 👍 I like that.

You drive something long enough, you can “feel” the subtleties of what the machine is doing internally. I think that is one of the most valuable abilities I learned growing up around mechanically minded folks. If you know how something is put together, and how the parts interact internally, you can often detect an imminent failure before it actually happens, or at least in the early stages.

Most folks will give you a blank look if you ask them to visualize what the various systems in the vehicle are doing at any given point. They just look for (and often miss) the warning light on the dashboard :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom