Who Has Made Their Own Bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
hey guys

who here has made their own bumper?

i am contemplating fabbing up my own rear bumper/tire carrier combo and was wondering who here has done the same?

did you move the rear crossmember in? bolt right to it? what?

curious to get pics and ideas

thanks

first try at a rear bumper. keeps the crossmember , bolts to factory holes. minimalistic approch

mike
PICT0007.jpg

Boston Mangler said:
VERY NICE!

How about some more pics? :D

Its not a basher bumper for sure
fairly thin but light has no real supports to the wings except bolts where the mud flaps would go. but its strong enough as long as i dont drop the truck on it. Im suppsed to build some different bumpers here but i need to get some of my projects done. If you were closer id sell ya this bumper for $175 since i dont even have it on my truck any more.

mike
PICT0010.jpg
PICT0004.jpg
sed 41.jpg

I built my own bumpers and sliders. They came out quite well although since I have diminishing time these days Id buy the next set. I dont have any good quality pics cuz my camera is out of town but I think you get the idea. The rear bumpers are welded to the cross member and frame. The side of the bumper (where the fender flares are) are bolted to the frame for side support. I cut the stock mudflaps to fit the contour of the new bumper. The bumper is made of 1/4" steel and the sides are made of 1/8" steel. Lots of special cuts, weld and a little bondo to finish it off. The hitch assy is integral to the bumper.

I can take better pics next week with my good camera if you're interested. BTW, I'm gonna bolt some aluminum checkerplate to the top to finish it off. RIght now you can see the cross member so its not finish as far as Im concerned.

Ooops, here they are...

Last edited:
Didn't build a rear bumper yet, as this is not yet my trail truck. However, I did build my single-pivot tire carrier. Used a single spindle design and concealed the supporting bracketry beneath the plastic end cover.

Last edited:
Pretty lame photo. Notice the double receiver. This was the day I sold it and the guy wanted the hitch as well as the bumper. 3x5 tube notched to go over frame horns. Cut the rear crossmember out. The sides are 1.5x1.5 square tubing with a frame and then 1/4" plate. Hindsight says less would be better, but I had 1/4". A support ran from the the frame to the side where the mudflaps would be. There is a plug right there. I pulled the plug out of the frame and drilled two holes in the frame and used those c clip nuts so I could put the bolts in. Destatco handle with the trigger release. The swing out was really cool. It was bent so that it would tuck in close and tuck next to the license plate notch. It also had a high lift mount back there. Email me and I'll send you some photos. ginericfj80@yahoo.com
bumper.jpg
80bumper 001.jpg

Here's one that shows the bumper and wing with the obligatory Mud sticker.
gabeshrekbumperlights 014.jpg

I had one of the swingout on my phone during the build. The bend was really cool because it let me keep the bumper in tight to increase departure but it still allowed a functional swingout that was far enough from the body.
04-18-05_1909.jpg

lx450landcruiser said:
$100 fawk that ill just use a trailer axle

mike

Be careful some of the trailer spindles are cast and a PITA to try to weld to. Any machine shop should be able to machine you a sleeve should you use a trailer spindle. After you pay a machine shop to make you a sleeve, buy bearings, and the spindle the $100 doesn't seem so bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom